Ambush weapons 10/31/2015 01:09 PM CDT
Was wondering. I currently have a leaf blade sword that works well for ambush stun, slash, and backstab.

I was wondering if a rapier (better overall for backstab) would also satisfy the slash/stun requirements. Slash looks like it requires 'at least somewhat fair' slashing, and a 29 stone rapier should meet that, but I can't see anything regarding impact for stun.
Re: Ambush weapons 10/31/2015 02:22 PM CDT
>> Slash looks like it requires 'at least somewhat fair' slashing

Has to be in the upper part of that range. Pretty sure a steel rapier won't hit that mark, but a glaes one will. I use one and love it.
Re: Ambush weapons 10/31/2015 02:24 PM CDT
stun is based off of your strength mostly. As long as there's some impact and you have the strength equal to the weight of the weapon, you should be fine. I ambush stunned with a stiletto the other day.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 07:16 AM CST
Also, I can stab, slash, and stun with my kertig thrusting blade making it imo, the best thief template.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 07:37 AM CST

While your most likely correct for mid to high level thieves, I want to point out that fresh thieves may have better success with the stiletto template. half the weight and you can use it with stun.

Oh, and does backstab still suffer from a penalty if using an ME weapon?
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 08:09 AM CST
>>Oh, and does backstab still suffer from a penalty if using an ME weapon?

The damage from a rare metal rapier/thrusting blade more than makes up for the penalty. It's a must have weapon once you've hit 50th, it allows full use of all Thief abilities with just one weapon.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 08:30 AM CST
A light edge still has a slight bonus over ME as it always has, but the power from ME far outweighs the usefulness of light edge in my opinion. Light edge is good if you are unsure if you are going to land your stabs. Or if you want to make sure you are as accurate as possible. But I've never used it exclusively, or even seriously. It just doesn't pack enough punch for me. Times are a little different now since you can get decent puncture on a lighter template, but great puncture ME's are no longer a thing like it used to be. For a lot of us, that was always the great deciding factor. You could have a mod puncture short sword, or a great puncture sabre.

I will tell you this... if you are a light edged purist, check this out. It's the stiletto from the grey raven commissary. It also gives a BS boost (with cooldown) when turned. While probably not for the younger thieves due to cost, it's a pretty awesome light edged stabber.

> app stil

A darkstone stiletto is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A darkstone stiletto trains the small edged skill.
The darkstone stiletto is well (9/17) suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat heavy (8/27) puncture damage
somewhat fair (4/27) slice damage
poor (2/27) impact damage
no (0/27) fire damage
no (0/27) cold damage
no (0/27) electric damage

The darkstone stiletto is terribly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the stiletto is excellently (10/17) balanced and is dismally (2/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the darkstone stiletto is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The darkstone stiletto is made with metal.
You are certain that the darkstone stiletto weighs exactly 10 stones.
You are certain that the darkstone stiletto is worth exactly 1804 Dokoras.
The darkstone stiletto looks to bear your familiar marks of registration.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 11:24 AM CST
>Also, I can stab, slash, and stun with my kertig thrusting blade making it imo, the best thief template.

Leaf blade sword can also do all three, is LE, but loses out a lot of the puncture. The rapier will have, over all, much better stats. Like...a LOT better.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 02:48 PM CST
Are you saying the rapier is better than a thrusting blade? Or that it's better than a leaf blade sword?

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 03:04 PM CST
>Are you saying the rapier is better than a thrusting blade

Those two should be the same template.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:Caraamon#ME

>Or that it's better than a leaf blade sword?

Rapier should be much better than a leaf blade sword; if you add up the stats for 30 vs. 30 stone, rapier has a higher total value, and 4 or 5 more points in puncture either way.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 07:55 PM CST
Correct. I was just getting clarification.

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 08:08 PM CST
Side note, rapiers bug me. lol I always envision people trying to bs with fencing foils.

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 11/01/2015 08:43 PM CST
>Side note, rapiers bug me. lol I always envision people trying to bs with fencing foils.

Eh. Real rapiers are elegant and beautiful weapons with good cutting edges as well as tips. But you probably knew that.
Re: Ambush weapons 11/02/2015 08:57 AM CST
> I will tell you this... if you are a light edged purist, check this out. It's the stiletto from the grey raven commissary. It also gives a BS boost (with cooldown) when turned. While probably not for the younger thieves due to cost, it's a pretty awesome light edged stabber.

Just a caution, because of the subject of this thread--you can't slash with this darkstone stiletto.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/08/2016 05:27 PM CST

Elec, I'm currently torn between buying one of those or a rare metal thrusting blade. Whats your opinion on comparison between the two for thief utility?
Re: Ambush weapons 02/08/2016 05:54 PM CST
>>Elec, I'm currently torn between buying one of those or a rare metal thrusting blade. Whats your opinion on comparison between the two for thief utility?

I'm not Elec and don't have the darkstone stiletto, but I've done some testing with a rare metal stiletto that apps the same as the Raven one (except less slice) and a rare metal thrusting blade. 99% of the time the blade/rapier did way more damage than the stiletto. The only time that the stiletto did more damage was if I was backstabbing something on the bleeding edge of my skill and the penalty from the thrusting blade would make me fail the backstab. The lack of penalty on the stiletto allowed me to make successful backstabs which do much more damage.

IMO there is no point in spending the money on the darkstone stiletto (unless the Backstabbing boost stacks with Strike, even then it's iffy) since you will do less damage with it in most situations. You can probably get a haralun/kertig stiletto and a glaes/kertig thrusting blade for cheaper than the darkstone stiletto and be set for every situation.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/08/2016 06:21 PM CST
Baeleth has it about spot on. I happen to have both. I enjoy both, however not everyone can afford both.

Were I to do it over again... I don't mind the stiletto. It's really for PVP more than anything. It apps like a tyrium stiletto. It's inability to perform on par damage wise with the blade hit for hit make it my second choice unless I'm unsure how the fight is going to go. The boost isn't huge, but it's noticeable. A lot of times I use it to just guarantee that much MORE of a success from khri.

That said, I fully enjoy my kertig thrusting blade. That template is top notch in my opinion. Even more so than the old great puncture sabres. In fact, I actually sold my great puncture. The thrusting blade apps a point less on puncture and I can stun, slash, and stab with it. THAT makes it oh so sweet, and my weapon of choice for my Rogueish work.

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 02/08/2016 07:06 PM CST
The darkstone stiletto is basically one invisible (to the APPRAISE command) point away from being able to use all our ambushes. That lack made me not want one. I.e., it appraises the same on its own as a thing I can stun/slash with. But using COMPARE shows it to be very slightly lacking in one department and that means it can't stun/slash. For that cost, I wanted a weapon I could do everything with. So basically I agree with Elec here--just still sad about the darkstone stiletto's weakness.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 11:28 AM CST
Not to hijack here, but this is of interest to me. I've recently reactivated after a long hiatus and have been using my old Drevid sabre for backstabbing (and a briquet, but I'm not sure where it came from exactly). I like Elec's idea of getting a rare metal thrusting blade but have no idea where to get the materials these days. Anyone have any ideas? I'm coming back as an 80th level thief and don't know anyone anymore so my resource pool is whatever I can figure out by reading these boards.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 11:58 AM CST
Gweth, or the trader plaza in Crossings. Rare metals excluding tyrium are pretty easy to get now, and reasonably priced.

If you want an all purpose weapon, I'm a big fan of harulan leaf blade swords. You can ambush stun, slash, and backstab with it.

Pure BS damage though Elec is right as always.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 12:11 PM CST
Contact Squanto, he normally has some metal he will sell you as well and forge it. He's also one of the only forgers that I trust IG with purchases such as that. He's made most of my weapons for me. Lennon makes my metal armor.

Monster Elec

Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 12:11 PM CST
>>but have no idea where to get the materials these days. Anyone have any ideas?

There is Trader shops in the Trader Plaza where tables and stalls are. You might be able to find a small ingot of glaes or kertig in there. Ask around on the gweth, too. There are a few weaponsmiths who usually have rare metals in stock, though they'll usually make and sell a weapon to you rather than just sell the raw material. Squanto and Caraamon are both good weaponsmiths who usually have some rare mats.

Lastly you can mine metals now. There is a mine near Dirge that you can comb through in hopes to find some rare material.

Welcome back and if you haven't already found it yet, check out https://elanthipedia.play.net it has a ton of information that will help you get back into the game.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 12:31 PM CST
I have found it, thanks! Also, thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'll have to hop on and look around this evening.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 12:39 PM CST
I don't have an armor dude, but Caraamon is my favorite weapon maker ever. Can't go wrong with him either.
Re: Ambush weapons 02/10/2016 03:19 PM CST
Use Squanto. He has the best mixes and won't steer you wrong. Best prices too.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Ambush weapons 02/11/2016 12:12 PM CST
Already contacted Squanto. Really nice guy. Now it's a matter of heading to the other provinces and getting all my plats to one place so I can buy a couple of pieces.