Thief Event Preferences 03/22/2016 12:54 PM CDT
I found myself curious today about what kind of events are preferred by the active Thieves. I made a list of some that I could think of and I'm interested in your thoughts.

1. Intrigue - Something happened and PCs are encouraged to figure it out for the Guild.
2. Political - Involvement with local politics.
3. Guildleader - Guildleaders becoming "alive"
4. Social - social gatherings hosted by a GMPC or a PC.
5. Enforcers - death and mayhem, obv.
6. Other - make suggestions!

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/22/2016 01:26 PM CDT
Yes.

All of these things sound fun. My character leans more towards the political angle, but all of these. I just like stuff.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/22/2016 07:37 PM CDT
>>All of these things sound fun.

This. I would get involved in just about all of these, except a social gathering as I don't usually sit around and chit-chat, but I would join in if there was something interesting to talk about.

Some of the past events that I remember, and enjoyed, was the release of the money-grubber's hunting ground and a group of us hooked up with the Kingpin in Muspar'i and we (actually Sebastienne) killed some trader for causing trouble up there. I also enjoyed a little get together in the guild with some GMPC's that was about the old code of the guild, and bringing it back along with some threats between members.

Honestly, I would love to see just about any event with the guild that wasn't just members gossiping and kicking dust piles.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/22/2016 07:45 PM CDT

1, 2, 5.

I particularly like anything that sheds light on how the various guilds interact with each other, and what the place of the undesirable guilds (thief, necro) IS in the larger scheme of things.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/22/2016 08:13 PM CDT
Useless comment: I can imagine all thieves enjoying some combination of them. They all sound good in their own way, even if they don't all appeal to me.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/23/2016 09:10 AM CDT
Big personal fan of 3, to a lesser extent 5.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/23/2016 07:53 PM CDT
PVP stuff
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/24/2016 02:12 PM CDT
I'd personally prefer to avoid 2. and leave the local politics alone. A combination of 1 and 3 would be fun. Having to decide between listening to/helping S, K, D, etc. who perhaps have conflicting interests. And depending on the outcome perhaps 5 (death and mayhem) comes into play. Social gatherings are fun too, I still have some 'thief day' loot laying around somewhere. IDK, I appreciate the interest in our thoughts
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/24/2016 03:40 PM CDT
1 definitely,
3 at least for now, I think all of the GuildLeaders could do with some active time, to show a little bit more personality.
4 Not against, but I know I want to put a little bit more into it then just another social night. Personally would like to to culminate into hey, such and such is around let's raid or let's take back or some body recently got this let's break into there.
5 Enforcement I'd be into this fairly frequently. Bonus if there was some Phelim aspect on something like that.
6 Somehow have a 'Holy Task' whether it's a dark god or goddess, the neutral Damaris (or another of the Thiefly gods) or a personal favorite Phelim.

2 isn't out of the picture, however 'politics' definitely not sure what we're looking at here. Keeping the Thieves' Guild in the good graces of some noble, royal, businessman, or government stoog. Perhaps physically coercing them? It could be cool.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 08:30 AM CDT
>>5 Enforcement I'd be into this fairly frequently. Bonus if there was some Phelim aspect on something like that.

Nice Skyrim Nightingale hint there. :p

>>2 isn't out of the picture, however 'politics' definitely not sure what we're looking at here.
To explain, this would likely be more along the lines of inter-guildhall politics and would probably tie into intrigue-type storylines. I'm loathe to do anything that would, in a sense, bring the Thieves' Guild to the attention of nobility and such again and risk another raid being a potential result.

Another question for events that do not directly require a GMPC.. I tend to prefer to kick a story into action and let those involved determine where it goes, with a few different possible conclusions in mind. Is there a stronger preference for a GMPC to "lead" the story, or for PCs to take those leads by establishing themselves among their peers? ie: I'm not going to put someone in charge, you need to figure out your own non-gmpc leadership group/person for the event. Thoughts?

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 08:46 AM CDT
>Is there a stronger preference for a GMPC to "lead" the story, or for PCs to take those leads by establishing themselves among their peers? ie: I'm not going to put someone in charge, you need to figure out your own non-gmpc leadership group/person for the event.

I guess it'd depend on the circumstances. I'm all for player driven things, but if they start stalling out a little nudge to get back on track is a good thing.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 08:53 AM CDT
>>Another question for events that do not directly require a GMPC.. I tend to prefer to kick a story into action and let those involved determine where it goes, with a few different possible conclusions in mind. Is there a stronger preference for a GMPC to "lead" the story, or for PCs to take those leads by establishing themselves among their peers? ie: I'm not going to put someone in charge, you need to figure out your own non-gmpc leadership group/person for the event. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind to see both happen, but I think letting PCs take the lead might help rebuild the community that a lot of people are missing. I am really up for anything as long as everyone has the same opportunity to participate. I've hated in the past when events were kept within a circle of players and nobody outside of that circle knew what was going on or how to get involved.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 09:35 AM CDT
>>everyone has the same opportunity to participate.
I prefer my events to be this way. Every character has a story to tell.

>>I've hated in the past when events were kept within a circle of players and nobody outside of that circle knew what was going on or how to get involved.
In the case of intrigue-type events, it's going to rely on people talking to brethren/guildmates, but I'd also be happy to leak things onto the forums as I did during the Shadowed Alcove event last Hollow Eve. Bits of storyline, info on where the event has gone, prompts that you can pick up on in game, etc.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 09:52 AM CDT
>> I'd also be happy to leak things onto the forums as I did during the Shadowed Alcove event last Hollow Eve. Bits of storyline, info on where the event has gone, prompts that you can pick up on in game, etc.

I really enjoyed this for that event, and would love to see more of it.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 01:32 PM CDT
>Nice Skyrim Nightingale hint there. :p
I seem to do this infrequently though often enough (suggesting things that happen in games withOUT playing them), can someone tell me what I wrote that suggested something that happened in Skyrim?

>In the case of intrigue-type events, it's going to rely on people talking to brethren/guildmates, but I'd also be happy to leak things onto the forums as I did during the Shadowed Alcove event last Hollow Eve. Bits of storyline, info on where the event has gone, prompts that you can pick up on in game, etc.
While others might not say it, I think this would be great, and hopefully with one doing it others (both GMs and PCs) will use the forum to note things, hopefully in a rumor type of why, which sadly the games rumor system failed to ever get after.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 01:43 PM CDT
>can someone tell me what I wrote that suggested something that happened in Skyrim?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingales
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 02:06 PM CDT
<<I seem to do this infrequently though often enough (suggesting things that happen in games withOUT playing them),

Tropes make this possible.
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/25/2016 02:35 PM CDT
>http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingales
That's pretty darn cool, and I would have no problem with some parallel's being used in DR. Not sure how GMs feel but, that's cool. That still wasn't exactly where I was going with it.

>Tropes make this possible:
Not exactly how I would explain it, but yep that seems to follow along. Reminds me of my 10th grade English teacher, 'after Homer nobody could make something truly unique, he already touched on it all' (paraphrased).

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Thief Event Preferences 03/27/2016 09:32 PM CDT

Definitely 'alive' guild leaders and I think it goes hand in hand with political intrigue and mayhem. After all - we're a subversive underground group that specifically targets the cities stores and its citizen's pockets, with some corrupting of city officials in the mix.

Without a doubt DRs biggest selling point that beats out better financed and more graphic RPGs and MMOs is the feeling of belonging to a 'real' world with its own events and intrigue. Anything that promotes player interaction with a plot, especially setting us against other willing players and events, is awesome to me.