group theft 12/16/2015 03:18 PM CST
I used to have a chef char back when outside the bank was an auction and have had one again for a lil while and was curious if there is ever any gatherings of people anywhere to plot like a town raid of rummaging everyones pockets or just sit in a class taught by some old members or go retreive ambika items or anything? i come across other members time to time but its always just a nod and then going about the day, pathetically enough i guess im just a lonely thief wanderin where the spot is if there is one..
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 04:02 PM CST
We've never been a big "group" type of guild, but there is far less of it now than there ever was before. On occasion some well meaning folks throw a novice night, which ends up being less novices and more of a Q/A for thieves of all ages. Perhaps it's time we have another. I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 04:39 PM CST
yeah i know its never really been group oriented but im a circle 45 and was just kinda wantin to get some kinda comradery (u know the word i cant spell)
like a group or just someone so on downtime could sit and listen to a class on things rather than have to go grind or come up with some kinda plan to go have fun pilferin people or something.
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 04:44 PM CST
I understand bud. But you are much more likely to find other guilded sitting around and join in a class there. Unless you want to come to hib, in which case, Elec will be happy to entertain you for a brief bit.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 05:45 PM CST
According to the events calendar there's a teaching night at the Mentor Society tomorrow at 10:30pm EST.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Grayroot of Elanthia
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 05:55 PM CST
whats is hib?
Re: group theft 12/16/2015 06:22 PM CST
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Hibarnhvidar
Re: group theft 12/17/2015 02:00 PM CST

Generally there are little to no events that involve this type of combative role play in game. At least not officially. From time to time you find a few thieves robbing but in generally there are numerous factors that keep it more or less a niche activity for the guild. You won't actually gain EXP from stealing from others players so if you want to work the skill for guild purposes you spend time stealing in shops. Stealing from others also locks people PVP which a good deal of the player population doesn't enjoy. Also coin is very abundant in game and easy to come by. Most of the time its not really going to bother anyone that you stole a few platinum.

But if you want to look around town and find a few thieves. I've done it before and it can be fun hitting the gathering spots and robbing people. There can be some decent RP to come from it. When you get better ranks you can make some decent coin. I can rub around town and make 100 plat fairly quickly if you find the right people. I also found one trader who I was able to make three separate 300 plat grabs in one swipe. That was pretty fun. But I'd say its on you to start such a group. So go ahead and do it just be ready to deal with the consequences. If you are small people will love fighting back but that comes with the life.
Re: group theft 12/17/2015 04:23 PM CST
SHADOW7988 here used to organizing thief meetings and events few years back but unfortunately that didn't last for very long due to lack of interest no doubt. He was really working hard going around and convincing people to attend too. There just aren't that many people around anymore who haven't already been there and done that or willing to risk social suicide over couple of plats in pocket money. I think i only attended the meeting once myself and that was mostly by accident.

<< So go ahead and do it just be ready to deal with the consequences.

That's the thing, we have too small of a community to be messing around and starting beef with everybody. It's sad to see but life of crime and evil is too frustrating, eventually you will just end up getting beaten like pinata and give up on life entirely. I especially feel sorry for all the necromancers out there, i don't think i've even seen a single necromancer going around starting up trouble in the past year or so.
Re: group theft 12/17/2015 04:32 PM CST
two things...

300 plat grab? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm calling BS. Unless you are king ding a ling with stealing ranks, and they were walking around with untold thousands of plats... There are still caps in place.

And necros not starting crap? Orbs are dropped on the regular at WM's, MM's, NE gate... hell one was in the empath infirmary just last night.

Monster Elec

Re: group theft 12/17/2015 05:41 PM CST
Yup, definitely Necros doing their thing out there. Can't post names, but there's at least 3 or 4 regularly dropping orbs and causing the drama type stuff. Thieves too, but more so at festival openings. Guildfest in particular is prime Thief territory due to the mechanics of the entrance and lack of bank inside the fest.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: group theft 12/17/2015 07:08 PM CST
<That's the thing, we have too small of a community to be messing around and starting beef with everybody. It's sad to see but life of crime and evil is too frustrating, eventually you will just end up getting beaten like pinata and give up on life entirely. I especially feel sorry for all the necromancers out there, i don't think i've even seen a single necromancer going around starting up trouble in the past year or so.

You don't get out enough.
Re: group theft 12/18/2015 02:36 AM CST

Yup three separate 300 plat grabs. THe first time it happened I thought it was BS but went through the log and it was true. Each time the messaging just said i grabbed "coins" didn't specify the usual silvers, golds or whatever. I was pretty small but bigger than the trader and I do have a feeling that they had tons of plats on them.
Re: group theft 12/18/2015 02:43 AM CST
I'm calling shenanigans. Unless a red name says it's possible. No way. It's a cool story, but A. what trader walks around with that kind of money and doesn't know they are getting robbed and B. If you were "pretty small" getting over a set amount is even LESS likely. So, short of it being a bug (which it sounds like), I'm not believing it.

Monster Elec

Re: group theft 12/18/2015 02:46 AM CST

You don't have too. I'm fine with that. Could have been a bug but it happened x3
Re: group theft 12/18/2015 02:56 AM CST
I do know that I have stolen plats on my thief within the last year. He's quite low still, though, so I think the most I grabbed at once was 4 or 5.

I also do recall that about 14 to 15 years ago on my first Trader when he was still under circle 10, I had a thief steal coppers in approximately 100 coin batches at a time. I purposefully padded my pockets with coppers to make it likelier that I wouldn't have the better stuff stolen. I would get the 'your pockets feel heavier' message that traders get when being stolen from and check my wealth to see how much I lost, which is how I knew how much was stolen over how many attempts.

Combine those two, and I could conceivably see it happening. It does seem a bit of a braggart story though, I will grant.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: group theft 12/18/2015 09:14 AM CST
Yes you can steal plats. But only a handful. His is the most I've ever heard of by like 240 or so. lol

And yes, you used to be able to use game mechanics and carry around a bunch of coppers to defeat thieves.

Monster Elec

Re: group theft 12/18/2015 09:56 AM CST
Ok, i was exaggerating there a little bit, in fact i witnessed a necromancer related killing just last week but those poor guys get put down so fast that it's barely worth mentioning.

I remember times when they would pile up bodies at ne gate and no one around was strong enough to take down even constructs, let alone the necromancers themselves. All the tough guys were out on the islands, hunting. You would sometimes have to wait several hours for someone to come and clean up the place. It took a lot of herpa derping over the gweth for anyone to even care enough to take up the journey. "Hold tight noobs, i'll be there in 5 hours" -- is something you would hear a lot more on gweth, now it's "hey, we got a necromancer here" and 5 seconds later -- Joe necromancer was struck down!

Or maybe it's just because i don't hang around crossing as much anymore. I don't know.
Re: group theft 01/08/2016 04:43 PM CST
One quick warning --

At one point, quite a few years ago, there was an event where Thieves organized to rob Traders in the Crossing. There were people at each gate, and a few along the major thoroughfares leading to the Trader guild. We did make some good money, but we got a pretty strong GM nudge to knock it off after it led to a few scuffles in the streets once people realized what was happening.

If you want to go for it, go for it, but YMMV.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: group theft 01/10/2016 03:21 AM CST
It was just stealing/RP and a GM interrupted it? Are you sure that's all it was? No violence, ambushing, slipping hijinks to interrupt scripting, etc.? I have a hard time believing a GM was like "oh you thieves, stop thieving from people." Otherwise how do we make bank during fests and such.
Re: group theft 01/10/2016 05:04 AM CST
<< after it led to a few scuffles in the streets once people realized what was happening.

Re: group theft 01/10/2016 11:38 AM CST
Every time I click the thief folder my heart gets happy when I see something in thief events. Then I click the and see its this thread or another like it and I shake my head and go back about my business.

Monster Elec

Re: group theft 02/07/2016 01:55 PM CST

Yeah I can see that happening. As far as I know I was only ever reported once, and the GM basically said I wasn't in any sort of violation BUT.... I think if anyone complains you get the equivalent of a warning. Which is ok at that point it's enough. We should definitely try to pull some stunts like that. You notice the increase in critter gems? Liftable right?

Oh and more of my bright ideas - I think we should have a way to cover our trail. Moonies can locate right? I know WM has their annoying familars follow us and Rangers track. We should have a way to counter that short of ducking into a tunnel or guild. Or do we and I just don't know?
Re: group theft 02/07/2016 02:06 PM CST
>>Oh and more of my bright ideas - I think we should have a way to cover our trail. Moonies can locate right? I know WM has their annoying familars follow us and Rangers track. We should have a way to counter that short of ducking into a tunnel or guild. Or do we and I just don't know?

The Skulk combo makes you un-locatable by any means. You have to have it up when they look for you though, which in most cases isn't an issue, but if a WM's familiar finds you Skulk will not stop it from following you. You have to stay hidden/invisible or go into a passage or guild to keep it from continuing to follow you.