Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 12:26 PM CDT
I read a post about how TDPs will be generated under the new system that is being worked on. One of the things I noted about the system is that our top 3 Lore abilities will determine what our TDP generation from Lore amounts to. Will Mech Lore be included in the list of Lore abilities use to determine TDP gain? I know it seems like an odd question since it is clearly a Lore skill; however, it does not count (at least according to circle calculators) as one of our required Lore skills for circling.

Thanks,
Xuri

P.S. Is anyone still teaching thief classes?
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 01:57 PM CDT
Any Lore will count for TDPs to my knowledge.

You typed Roar Help. Good for you!
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 02:16 PM CDT
IIRC the only top x skills rewarding tdp idea was rethought and isn't the plan anymore. Also, I believe that circling requirements will probably change when the skill combination is released, so I wouldn't put a lot of worry into how the new skills will fit into our current reqs.
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 02:18 PM CDT
<<it does not count (at least according to circle calculators) as one of our required Lore skills for circling.>>

Which circle calculator are you using? The Thief guild has a hard requirement for Mech lore, you don't even get the choice of if you want to use it for leveling up.

Also realize that with the Experience changes that will effect the TDP gain distribution we will also have the new crafting skills and those will completely replace Mech lore. There will be a split where you can dump all your current ranks into one or more of the crafting skills. Along with that there will be a revamp of guild requirements across the board due to all the changes being made to skills.

So no Mech lore 100% won't be in the new TDP system, it will be the crafting skills.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 03:12 PM CDT

So with the implementation of the new crafting systems when the mech split does happen am I right in assuming that we're going to be forced to pick a crafting discipline in order to advance within the guild still? Im not sure if I remember the explanation of the hard Mech Lore requirement correctly but I'm assuming it was because of our affinity with traps, locked doors and the occasional poison. Are we going to have some sort of fundamental shift of the lore or will being a Thief just mean that you're now free to pick any sort of crafting expertise to prove your abilities to the guild leaders?

-O.O.

Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 03:38 PM CDT
<<Im not sure if I remember the explanation of the hard Mech Lore requirement correctly but I'm assuming it was because of our affinity with traps, locked doors and the occasional poison.>>

I think the IC fits thieves perfectly, and it probably influenced Evil Overlord Maelona's decision in this post years ago in this very folder:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Thieves/Thief%20Requirements%20and%20Discussions/view/104

Also of interest:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Thieves/Thief%20Requirements%20and%20Discussions/view/94

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

That's it for now folks, but tune in tomorrow for another thrilling, action-packed episode of... Prospect Danger!
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 03:51 PM CDT
<<So with the implementation of the new crafting systems when the mech split does happen am I right in assuming that we're going to be forced to pick a crafting discipline in order to advance within the guild still?>>

No one has any idea. The GMs have mentioned guild requirements only in the context of them not going to discuss any guild requirements. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/21/2011 04:41 PM CDT
<< Im not sure if I remember the explanation of the hard Mech Lore requirement correctly but I'm assuming it was because of our affinity with traps, locked doors and the occasional poison. Are we going to have some sort of fundamental shift of the lore or will being a Thief just mean that you're now free to pick any sort of crafting expertise to prove your abilities to the guild leaders?

Lockpicks.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/22/2011 02:18 AM CDT
>Lockpicks.

Or poisons. Or lockpicks...

Or tinkered traps...

Choices, choices.

IMO, given that Thieves have a hard Mech Requirement, if any guild is likely to have a hard craft req. in the Brave New World, I would expect it to be they. OTOH, I don't expect GMs to pigeonhole an entire Guild into ONE craft skill. So I'd expect maybe a 'Top Craft' requirement bandied about.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Mechanical Lore and the New TDP System 06/22/2011 06:08 PM CDT
right now the only "hints" we have is the "bonus" we have within the crafting system - one to alchemy within the "poison" , and 2 to carving <presumably lockpicks>. The only carving system yet implemented however is stone-carving, so we'll have to wait and see what will be the case with lockpicks. Meanwhile, carve 'em while you can.

War is Peace, Truth is Lies. -george orwell