Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:16 PM CST
I have returned to the lands after a long retirement and have once again rolled off of the turnip cart, this time as a thief.

Currently I'm circle one and find myself in a quandry; I have not been able to track down any way to train my lockpicking skill. I've heard some whispers of some doors that might meet my needs, but my explorations are fruitless.

My question is this; could we not move the lockpicking requirement to circle 4 or so? I cannot yet fight goblins, which are the youngest box dropping critter I have found. The guild is also often empty, so sitting through a class has not been an option.

I continue to forget ahead, but thought to offer my two coppers.
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:25 PM CST
Try louts in the middens out the east gate. Bonus is that you'll learn a bit of perception when they ambush you.

If Riverhaven is more your thing I'd drain up some defenses a bit in frogs and then find the goblin zombies.

- Player of Foresee

"Moon Mages study the skies and scribe occulted sigils to build up magical power, Rangers... I don't know, dance naked around trees or whatever it is they do when they think nobody's watching." - DR-Armifer
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:25 PM CST
The best way to get those irritating early ranks in many survival skills these days seems to be classes. A good teacher should set you up for second or third circle in ten minutes or so. This has the added benefit of bringing lower level and higher level characters together.

Also, Sleazy Louts are currently, as far as I know, the weakest box-dropping creature. They can be found outside the east gate, in the middens. They also hide and ambush, but they should be easier than goblins -- I think I've heard them referred to as "box-dropping rats."

People used to gather in the Thief guild for teaching and listening and so on, but I'm not sure if that still happens these days. Other places to find classes are the Ranger guild, Moon Mage guild and Empath guilds, in my experience. Also, outside of the Northeast gate.

Good luck. I've been training up a new character, as well, these last few months, and things are definitely a lot different. Still do-able, though, with a bit of effort.

HR>You exclaim to the dog, "You wagtail! Die!"
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:29 PM CST
I have a second-circle moon mage who just got boxes off louts - well, two boxes dropped out of eight louts killed. Anyway, I don't know how hard the boxes are since I haven't opened them yet. The louts weren't hard to kill with a shield and about six ranks of brawling; she hasn't gotten a scratch on her, yet.

player of Kyriaca
Third time's the charm!
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:31 PM CST
Louts in the middens out the Eastern Gate of Crossing, and goblin zombies out the northern gate of Riverhaven in the tree thingy are both level 1 creatures that just require a tiny bit of prepping in rats to handle, and both drop boxes.

-Z
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 08:42 PM CST
Also, louts drop lockpicks, which makes training significantly cheaper.

I presume goblin zombies (zoblins) drop them, too, since it seems like most or all box-dropping critters drop lockpicks recently.

Just slim, stout, and ordinary, though, I think.

~Kashik
Re: Lockpicking and Youth 01/07/2008 10:19 PM CST
Louts are superb, thank you all.