Mech Lore 08/23/2007 08:47 AM CDT
Whats the current best way to train mech lore? I had a mortar and pestle, which used to lock it quite nicely, but it barely moves anymore.
Re: Mech Lore 08/23/2007 08:51 AM CDT
origami, pyramids, or braiding vines. your choice.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Mech Lore 08/23/2007 09:19 AM CDT
Alrighty, I will give them a shot.

Thanks
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 09:52 AM CDT
Braiding vines is cheap, free, and effective. And it even trains some appraisal.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 10:00 AM CDT
Only problem with braiding vines is that you have to be able to forage them...
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 10:04 AM CDT
Braid grass until you can forage vines.

As you consider an attempt to stalk the Empath Fraethis, you believe it's blind as a bat. Go for it.
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 10:07 AM CDT
What Technogeek said.

Vines really aren't too hard to forage, in the right areas. But I daresay a lot of people would bring you vines if you ask them.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 10:37 AM CDT
Wow, vines work great!

Im waiting for sunrise to try out the pyramid, but I think vines are going to win out because they are free and teach great.

How about unlonchai buckets?
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 12:50 PM CDT
You might even try fishing if you have any trouble foraging vines. You learn even more than just mechanical lore too; you get the mechanical lore from putting bait onto the hook, foraging for having a fish bite, and animal lore when you reel it in. I belive you can also learn a good deal of skinning if you skin the fish (never tried this, don't hold me to it). If you throw down a Wayerd Pyramid (it's really fishing only if you do it during sunrise) you'll likely find the learning you are looking for at a pretty quick pace. The downside is that there are only four places to acquire bait, and two of them are in Qi'Reshalia.

~Rafland
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 04:43 PM CDT
just keep braiding grass.. over and over and over.. and never stop... just keep adding.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 07:57 PM CDT
Vines will take you through at least 500. I use origami because that's free too, but vines locked me with mid 400's mech. I'd definitely recommend them over origami until you can steal origami envelopes.

~Purehand
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 10:27 PM CDT
How much stealing do you need now to steal envelopes? I noticed that the price seems to have been conveniently raised quite a bit.

Ineptly, you step backward and then slice at a musk hog. A musk hog evades, leaping aside like a cunning cat.
Re: Mech Lore 08/24/2007 11:53 PM CDT
Price hasn't changed as far as I know. 10 sheet is nabbable at 85 ranks for a thief, 125 or so for a non thief. That's just a guess. All envelopes weigh 10 stones, so a pretty light lift for the price. I run a surplus grabbing the 25 counts and folding a ton as lore prime, so I think grabbing a 10 count every run would keep a non lore-prime quite content.

~Purehand
Re: Mech Lore 08/25/2007 06:52 AM CDT
it depends on what sixe envelope you steal. the 100-count enveleopes i steal with over 450 steal, the 25 count i steal over in tf with about half that in stealing. not the fancy paper though, the ones with the plain paper.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Mech Lore 08/25/2007 03:30 PM CDT
>How much stealing do you need now to steal envelopes? I noticed that the price seems to have been conveniently raised quite a bit.

Not sure, but I'm guessing that you're either looking at an envelope with more sheets in it, or one of the colored ones. I've accidentally ordered colored envelopes before, and they cost significantly more.
Re: Mech Lore 08/25/2007 04:58 PM CDT
At 250 stealing, I can nab the 25 count white envelopes (non colored) no troubles 1 per run. Which if I could find an outlet to sell them on the plat side of things. I would ::Chuckles::. But alas, no one's interested in plat for setting up tables for stolen goods to sell to the public. Something about them being stolen or something rather...::snickers::

~Dalkin~
Re: Mech Lore 08/25/2007 05:39 PM CDT
You can get the 100 count with a little over 300 stealing without much problem on Aesry. The main differences is that Aesry is Urban and you can actually hide. Leth origami tent is a bummer - neutral and no hiding.

~Purehand
Re: Mech Lore 10/09/2007 07:55 AM CDT
Basically I'll reinterate the question because there has been no GM comment on such.

our mech lore req is quite alot for a lore secondary guild.

At 120th circle it is identical to our primary weapon req, and thereafter PASSES IT BY. In other words, we have to know more about mech than about weapons.

Under the previous GMs we were told that this requirement would be modified once bit-based and the break-up of mech was implemented - but its been a couple of years now and nothing has happened in this direction. We also were told new types of poisons were in the works and we'd need the stupendous amounts of mech for them. Again... nothing I've seen yet.

so..... whats the deal with mech? we gonna get some cool stuff thats gonna take into account all that paper-folding we gotta do to please our guildleaders or what?

schvartz

Re: Mech Lore 10/09/2007 08:17 PM CDT
for the poison.. Z has that in the works.. it's just gonna take some time... we gotta get justice and khri's out first I believe.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Mech Lore 10/10/2007 03:13 AM CDT
Ssra mentioned explosives as a Thief lore type thing at this past Vegascon.

-Pythea-
Re: Mech Lore 10/11/2007 10:27 PM CDT
Anyone remember blowguns?

Don't hold your breath until it happens.
Re: Mech Lore 10/15/2007 08:28 PM CDT
<<not the least being automatically entered into Ssra's Nerf Queue for close examination.>>

I do. They're really not hard to code but the problem is dealing damage. They won't deal much damage.

The original idea was for a poison delivery system but in order to deliver poison you have to hit and lodge the dart and to hit and lodge the dart you have to have ranks in the skill. To get ranks you need to generate damage. We're not going to grandfather a new skill.

-Ssra

"There is always a bigger fish."
Re: Mech Lore 10/15/2007 08:29 PM CDT
<<Ssra mentioned explosives as a Thief lore type thing at this past Vegascon.>>

Yes, we plan on that being an alchemy path.

-Ssra

Re: Mech Lore 10/15/2007 08:33 PM CDT
>>I know that sounds a bit strange but I am not sure I can justify a new skill just for blowguns. I'll have to speak to Oolan and other staff members to see what they think.

How about making it a composite skill ability like what Dart is doing with keyboard instruments? Maybe shortbow and LT? Or just for giggles, composite bow and LT?

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Mech Lore 10/15/2007 08:39 PM CDT
<<How about making it a composite skill ability like what Dart is doing with keyboard instruments? Maybe shortbow and LT? Or just for giggles, composite bow and LT?>>

Maybe brawling makes more sense? We have brawling weapons now so perhaps we can make that leap.

-Ssra

Re: Mech Lore 10/15/2007 09:21 PM CDT
>>Maybe brawling makes more sense? We have brawling weapons now so perhaps we can make that leap.

Poisoned brass knuckles. <drool>

GENT
Re: Mech Lore 10/16/2007 09:52 PM CDT
I do recall Z mentioning in more than one post this year stating the ever growing importance of brawling. If most heeded his advice, introducing poision delivery through brawling weapons would be welcome.
Re: Mech Lore 11/02/2007 08:56 PM CDT
Would love to see this as a brawling/BS combo skill.

Why BS, because its a thief only skill and the whole poison delivery system through a blowgun should be thief only.

Let everyone "play" with a blowgun and poea-shoot each other in the head.. but thieves should only be the ones who can load a poisoned dart and aim for the "sweet-spot" at the base/side of the neck.

"Anything you want in the world can be yours.
You just need the skill to steal it, the strength to take it or the nerve to kill for it."

(Ancient Proverb)

Dusk M'row

Chosen of Damaris
Re: Mech Lore 11/02/2007 11:29 PM CDT
Dart to neck for consufion/disorientation ... Vulcan Death Grip to stun followed by a garrot to the jugular FTW!

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future