Strength : 20 Reflex : 22
Agility : 26 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 20 Wisdom : 20
Intelligence : 19 Stamina : 20
Favors: 2
Concentration: 90 Max: 90
TDPs: 61
Encumbrance: None

I'm about to circle 30, any suggestions on what I should raise?
Re: Which stats to raise 10/29/2006 08:12 AM CST
Charisma....you're going to regret not having a better charisma when the new justice system comes around. Besides the way things change in this game, I've always found it good to try and keep your stats even for the most part.

~Zaizen~
Re: Which stats to raise 10/29/2006 01:27 PM CST
Depends on your race/weapon you're usin. I'd say bump up strength and try to get min rt with your backstabs, that or work on your mentals a little.

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Re: Which stats to raise 10/29/2006 01:30 PM CST
reflex if you go toe-to-toe with critters or use bow. intelligence if you have learning issues.
charisma if you steal much.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Which stats to raise 10/30/2006 08:20 AM CST
What Gonif said. ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Which stats to raise 10/30/2006 09:50 AM CST
Some things to consider.

Mentals:

Lets say a human with your stats has 500 TDPs to spend. You could raise your Wisdom to 24, Intel to 21 and discipline to 22 for a maximum learning increase. At 120 ranks in a primary skill this would show a 7 minute (9%) decrease in ranking on a post wall to a 23 minute (6%) decrease on gaining a wall rank. That's a pretty good return percentage wise, and over time those minutes will add up. But keep in mind - thats 3ish circles of TDP's invested for 7 minutes off of 1.3 hours and 23 minutes off of 5.3 hours. You aren't going to notice the difference on a minute-to-minute basis.

http://atomictim.com/dr/

Physicals:

Lets say you pump all of those TDPs into strength and some into stamina. Presuming you're working with ME or LE, you're going to be getting a minimum RT on most, not getting tired in combat, not suffering from the negative effects of burden and having a more effective overall hunting experience.

My Advise:

Between dropping a few minutes off of gaining a rank and clearing up major combat hurdles early on I usually go with the physicals and catch the mentals up in your 40's or so with the goal of having nearly everything to 30 by 50-55th circle (Not including charisma; never had problems with fines vs. profit or getting caught with terrible charisma).

You're learning at such a fast rate early on, I find that getting the major physical limitations out of the way early makes for the most playable/fun character in the early stages. If you're willing to work with the burden and higher RT's in the short term, or just use ranged and are interested in making an investment in your learning rates, then by all means go with that.

You've got a fairly solid base to work off of, it's just a matter of preference from here on.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 10/30/2006 11:08 AM CST
I spent all my early days min/maxing my character. The idea of min/maxing is to minimize attributes that you don't care about (to some degreee) such as charisma, reflex, stamina and to use the TDPs you saved on those to maximize other attributes (in my case, agility). While this was fun at 40th circle when I had 40 agility and pretty good discipline, later on in life you end up regretting it. A lot of people preach stat balancing, and at a low level I'd reccomend this. Basically the way the stat system is set up in DR, the higher your stats get, the more you experience something called 'the law of diminishing returns'. Due to the fact that you have to spend more TDPs on every rank, the more ranks you have the less an individual rank makes a difference AND the more it will cost you. The idea behind stat balancing is that you keep your stats even based on COST to you in TDPs. That way, you are maximizing your overall statistics considering how many TDPs you have spent. In this case, you could also choose skills that you want to ignore, for example Charisma. It is up to you, but it is something you should think about when planning your character for the long-term, because it is really hard to fix a character you have been breaking for years, trust me.

EVERY DAY, I'M HUSTLIN
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 01:17 PM CDT
Seeings I've been gone for about 4.5 years and reading through the posts I'm thinking I might want to reconsider my stat training strategy. My current stats are
Strength:29Reflex:30
Agility:30Charisma:14
Discipline:21Wisdom:18
Intelligence:17Stamina:25

My original strategy was to get Strength/Stamina to equal with my Agility and Reflex and then work on my Mental stats. I wasn't planning on working my charisma at all but after reading a post about a new justice system and gonif's post about charisma if I'm stealing I'm not too sure. The last posts on this topic are quite a few months old and I'm not sure what may have changed since then. Any ideas, input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 01:21 PM CDT
12 Charisma here and stealing is my highest skill (approaching 300) From the last time I didn train charisma i noticed training agility helped more, but that being said, I'm holding off spending TDPs until I see what Z releases with khri and such. I get the sense he wants to make charisma less of a dump stat.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 01:25 PM CDT
Get all your mental stats up higher. You'll notice, and appreciate, that the most at this point.

Roger
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 03:03 PM CDT
<<Get all your mental stats up higher. You'll notice, and appreciate, that the most at this point.>>

Definatly, get your int and wisdom up there, personally I'd get every stat to about 20, then mentals to 30.

Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 03:42 PM CDT
for survival prime guild i'd suggest getting your intelligence up.

For survival guilds it is difficult to mind lock (or get to the higher mind states) more than one skill at a time. Having a large mental pool allows one to, for example, work swimming in the brook, go work climb at the tree and cliffs, than forage a bit, and juggle before needing to go back and "top off" swimming again.

work with your racial bonuses too.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 04:43 PM CDT
My racial bonuses are Strength and Agility and banes are Intel and Wisdom. I'll be training my mentals up a bit when I circle to 39 it sounds like.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/15/2007 09:01 PM CDT
better... those mentals are too low.. disc, int, and wis definitely need to go up.. work the rest after you have better learning

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 09:35 AM CDT
Discipline, Wisdom, Intelligence to 30.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 01:46 PM CDT
Around what skill levels (primary skills in the 200s, 300s, 400s ect) would people recommend raising int/wis above 30?
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 02:06 PM CDT
I'd reccomend raising them to 30 in the mid 100s range. My personal strategy was to get everything to 20 (mentals first of course) and then wis/int to 30, then the rest to 30.

Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 02:29 PM CDT
I'm not sure if this is a good guage, but I'll use the average of your top 10 skills as a reference. I'd say mine started to drift past 30 when my top 10 skills got in the 240 average range. At that point, I believe my physicals were a little higher, so if you're happy with your physicals then you might start at 225 or so. I pushed disc up first because of its impact on stealth contests and khri. I'd say from a circle standpoint, if you get to 60th circle without having any mentals past 30, then you might want to consider investing in them for a few circles.

I don't remember when I got mine all to 35, or 40 but the average of my top 10 skills right now is 397.6 and my mentals are Disc 50, intel/wis 45. I'll probably leave them like that for some time while I push agility and reflex up.

I'd honestly just let your satisfaction with your gameplay dictate. If you would rather see the effects of 40 agility on your hunting/stealing and are more or less happy with your rank progression, then go big on agility. If you want to pulse from locked to bewildering on a wall rank, then push wisdom to 50.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 02:47 PM CDT
<<I'd say from a circle standpoint, if you get to 60th circle without having any mentals past 30, then you might want to consider investing in them for a few circles.>>

mental stats seem to pretty player specific, one "way" will work for play style A but not so much with B.

I don't have an mental stats above 30 at 62nd circle and if i ever do get some, it most likely will be intelligence and post 70th. Most people spout off about how X wisdom will cut # seconds off your to next rank time if you keep it constantly at dazed or mind lock.

Best rule of thumb i've found is... if you are mind locking a skill to fast, increase intelegence, if it takes too long for it to drain down before you can train again, train wisdom. With survival skills though, i find you can get by with higher INT than WIS... combats and magic, tend to need higher WIS due to the fact they are pretty bit and multiple skill intensive and you need the draining power.

it really is all about play style... if you a min-maxer type player than use the calculators that are available and shave them extra seconds off, if it makes you enjoy the game go for it.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 03:34 PM CDT
I'm with Yamcer on this. If you consider that having mentals at: 30 wis, 20 int

and you look at how much you will benefit from raising either wisdom or intelligence 5 points (that's a couple circles worth of tdps for most) you will notice you are saving about 1 hour of training per 48 hours these skills are locked.

Say you play 6 hours a day for 8 days. That's what, like 15 minutes you're saving per day? Might as well just go the extra 15 minutes and use those 5 stats worth of TDPs on something like discipline IMO.

If you're racing a friend to see who can reach what skill level the fastest, then I would say train mentals. Otherwise, IMO, the better reason to train mentals would be for their use in contested spells, rather than for learning rate purposes.

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

"Sabbra Caddabra" your skill/title/ability is now mine.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 05:06 PM CDT
>Best rule of thumb i've found is... if you are mind locking a skill to fast, increase intelegence, if it takes too long for it to drain down before you can train again, train wisdom. With survival skills though, i find you can get by with higher INT than WIS... combats and magic, tend to need higher WIS due to the fact they are pretty bit and multiple skill intensive and you need the draining power.

That's a pretty simple yet effective way to look at it, and I agree. If you keep skills constantly locked (especially primary skills), generally you should train more wisdom. However, tertiary skills generally benefit more from intelligence even when it comes to draining, and so for that reason I tend to favor intelligence heavily with most of my characters, as I prefer to keep my skill spread as low as possible.

That said, its hard for anyone to give difinitive advice because the relative benefits of the individual stats is different with the EXP changes. As far as I know they haven't been rolled into TF yet so I can't even begin to test it yet. My guess is that with pools getting larger (tert at least, I don't remember the announcement exactly) the benefits of intelligence will be diminished somewhat relative to wisdom.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 05:16 PM CDT
>As far as I know they haven't been rolled into TF

Have these been rolled in anywhere? I thought they were still in the works.

>the benefits of intelligence will be diminished somewhat relative to wisdom.

Well, if you stay logged out for more that a couple of hours, wisdom won't really be as important either, since your skills will drain while you're out of game.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"Dance, puppets, dance!" ~ Dominic Deegan
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 05:42 PM CDT
>and you look at how much you will benefit from raising either wisdom or intelligence 5 points (that's a couple circles worth of tdps for most) you will notice you are saving about 1 hour of training per 48 hours these skills are locked.

Mentals are not a sexy stat looking at them 5 points at a time. Their value lies in the increased learning capacity over time. Are you going to notice any difference learning with your character that has all 30's in mentals vs. your character that has 32? Probably not, unless you're really looking at it under a microscope.

However, it takes my war mage, with 30's in all mentals, a good 2 hours longer than my thief to rank a skill in the mid 200's on a wall rank. The differences are not as profound on post wall ranks, but spread that out over however many skills you routinely train hard at any given time, depreciate some of that spread to account for skills not being trained optimally and the returns are still quite substantial. Project that out over a year, even for a very casual player, and you end up a good bit further than you would be without having trained mentals.

I'm not promoting being a mentals tank. My personal training of my characters is very physicals-intensive for the first 40 circles, just because I can't really enjoy them until things like burden, fatigue and combat roundtimes are a non-issue. Usually when I hit the 300's I find that improving mentals that would help me get through the really boring wall ranks (and all other ranks) faster made my character more effective and well rounded than investing in stats that directly bonused specific skills and contests.

I throw out 60th circle as a point to assess because several of your skills are going to be cresting or coming to 300 at that point, and the wall ranks begin to drag on. As I said before, the decision should be contingent on your enjoyment of the game.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 08:23 PM CDT
<<Project that out over a year, even for a very casual player, and you end up a good bit further than you would be without having trained mentals.

Comparing the following mentals
20 int 30 wis
25 int 30 wis

from ranks 300 to 500
I'm seeing a savings of about 20 to 25 hours (if training 6 hrs a day that's about 4 days worth of training to learn what I would consider a very significant amount of ranks)

If those 5 stats were put into wisdom instead of intelligence
20 int 35 wis

it's a little better: a savings of about 50 to 60 hours. So a savings of about 2 to 3 weeks of training.

The average player (outside of TF) is not getting these kinds of ranks in a short enough time that a week or two difference in gaining the skills is really going to be that big of a deal in my opinion.

I see what you're saying and I would never say mentals are useless (even for learning purposes). But, IMO, it is not required to and one can progress very quickly in DR without training them to any great amount. I would not say this is for everyone, but people should know that it can be done and without much headache.

Perhaps things change when you get closer to 800 or 1000 ranks, but I'd say most people who worry about that sort of thing (obsessive much?) also worry about losing a weeks worth of training due to those lower mentals :-)

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 09:56 PM CDT
I'm also waiting on the new learning system.. i wanna see how well the drain while logged out works... i can picture myself spiking INT high and getting huge pools than going to bed after a fun day of training and getting a nice chuck of ranks done.

Yamcer

Re: Which stats to raise 06/18/2007 10:42 PM CDT
Like I said, "mentals are not a sexy stat looking at them 5 points at a time". Not sure what stat is really, but certainly some provide instant returns that make them attractive.

Assumptions:
Person1 - 20 int, 30 wis, 30 disc
Person2 - 45 int, 45 wis, 50 disc

Person1 going from 300 - 350 in primary skill beginning on a wall rank: 13 d 8hr 13 min*
Person2 going from 300 - 350 in primary skill beginning on a wall rank: 10 d 1hr 23 min*

Lets err on the conservative side and say Person2 is capable of learning 28-30% faster.

1 Is person2 actually going to achieve a 28% advantage with their training being more or less equal to person1?
No way - I'm not being unreasonable - they hold a capacity advantage and a mindstate advantage, but they aren't going to truly gain 30% more skill, ceteris paribus, unless they are each focusing on the max number of skills they can get mindlocked when the skills pulse and nothing else.

2 Will it give person2 a 15-20% advantage over person1 in skills that they prioritize? Maybe. Projected over a year, that's a half decent skill advantage. Projected over 2-4 years, and person2 is completely outclassing person1, and we're talking about 100's of ranks. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how many ranks in a stat it would take to overcome a 200 rank skill gap.

This is obviously a long-term PoV based partially on my hatred of long wall-ranks, so my personal enjoyment of the game coincided well with higher mentals. I still suggest giving post-30 mentals a ponder at 60th circle, when a character is presumably pretty well founded physically (if the mentals aren't past 30, then other stuff has to be) and your top skills are getting in the 300's and those wall ranks are getting to be a drag.

I'm fairly confident that the character I have now would beat the tar out of the character I would have had if I had stopped training mentals at 30, and their physicals would be very similar.

*atomictim.com/dr

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/19/2007 03:11 AM CDT
<<Assumptions:
<<Person1 - 20 int, 30 wis, 30 disc
<<Person2 - 45 int, 45 wis, 50 disc

That is (discipline excluded) 40 stats worth of TDPs.

If training 6 hrs a day that's saving you about 11 days for 10 more ranks than the one who didn't train mentals but trained the skills (hiding, stalking, weapon, etc) just as hard.

So for 2 weeks worth of training you could instead have 20 more in any two stats or 35 more in any one stat. I'd wager there's quite a large difference in 20 of any stat compared to 55 of the same said stat. I'd even go as far as to say it would make more of a difference than 50 ranks in the skills that affected the same things as that stat.

Keep in mind if you hadn't trained the mentals you'd have only 10 ranks less than that person who did train mentals 40 times... plus you'd have the added benefit of the 35-40 stats worth of TDPs to play with.

Just because it takes 2 weeks longer, doesn't mean you aren't training them at all. Using that 13 days worth of IG time you'd have 340 in those primary skill ranks while the other person would have 350... however that other person would be mentals heavy whereas you could put those TPDs into any of your stats as you see fit.

From what I understand, especially at higher levels like 300+ ranks, 10 rank gaps aren't really much to worry about.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject. In my opinion, mentals are still more important for contested spells than for learning purposes. I would not tell someone they are training wrong for working these stats, as it is certainly up to personal preference as to how one's character should be set up. Different training styles certainly call for different mental set-ups.

I guess it just seems to me that there are a lot of people on the forums (which probably isn't a large percentage of the overall players) stating how mentals are great for progressing experience-wise through the game, and I feel like they can sometimes be misleading to those that don't have a full understanding of how experience works (not that I have a complete grasp, but I feel I have a good understanding). I'm not saying those people who train/rally mentals do not have a grasp (they may even have a better understanding than I do) but those w/o that understanding might take what they say as the end-all-be-all and it's just not so. Mentals are good, but I feel they can be overrated on the forum boards at times in regards to learning rates.

Re: Which stats to raise 06/19/2007 08:45 AM CDT
>I'm not saying those people who train/rally mentals do not have a grasp (they may even have a better understanding than I do) but those w/o that understanding might take what they say as the end-all-be-all and it's just not so.

I don't read most forums so I can't really speak to this, but it seems to me I have presented a long-term argument saying nothing more than 'these are the returns over time'. Perhaps for someone who is asking about mentals in the 300, 400 & 500 range, this long term snapshot could be beneficial. No one has said they are the end-all-be-all. I guess I'm just looking at it from a longer term perspective.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/19/2007 11:37 AM CDT
<<I don't read most forums so I can't really speak to this, but it seems to me I have presented a long-term argument saying nothing more than 'these are the returns over time'. Perhaps for someone who is asking about mentals in the 300, 400 & 500 range, this long term snapshot could be beneficial. No one has said they are the end-all-be-all. I guess I'm just looking at it from a longer term perspective.

I'm sorry if it came off as me saying it was indeed you or anyone implying such. I merely meant that there are some people who read these boards and see 5 different people who all stand behind training mentals and think "Lots of people think training mentals is the way to go, I should do that." When it seems to me that not a large percentage of the actual DR population posts on the forums. Also, some who read may not have a decent understanding of how experience is gained in DR. Again I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I do know the basic formula and I'm able to use that formula to get an estimate of how much time I'm saving by training mentals.

I think your points for training mentals are quite valid. If you're into min/maxing your character or if you really hate that a wall rank takes a couple hours longer than someone with twice your mentals, then yes train up. However, people should know that there are characters who are very well trained who do not, and they do so with not as much work as one might think (i.e. training about 15 minutes more per 6 hour session, or not training the extra 15 mins but having lots more stats to play with and still only being about 10 ranks behind where they would be after 50 ranks).

Re: Which stats to raise 06/20/2007 12:01 PM CDT
Thanks alot for everyones input. That was a lot of good information and has helped me understand a bit about how the mentals work.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/21/2007 06:53 PM CDT
>atomictim.com/dr

Avoid this url if you are looking for specifics. It's great to get a general idea of how long it "might" take to rank a skill, but in reality it's pretty far from accurate. After about a day of playing with that thing, and looking it over, the results from the calculator are shaky at best.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 08:38 AM CDT
>>Avoid this url if you are looking for specifics. It's great to get a general idea of how long it "might" take to rank a skill, but in reality it's pretty far from accurate. After about a day of playing with that thing, and looking it over, the results from the calculator are shaky at best.

I would agree that it's inaccurate. I was trying to figure out what part of the wall cycle I was on with a skill. I figured if I MLed the skill, noted the pulse sizes over several pulses from mind lock, input my mentals, then cycle through the rank cycle, I would eventually hit upon a pulse size that matched what I had just gotten. This was not the case. I think I was getting about 1.14% per pulse in reality, and the closest two I could find on the calc for the rank/pool/stats I input were something like .95% and 1.28%.

All that being said, do you have an alternative site that might provide more accurate information?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 10:33 AM CDT
I use http://home.comcast.net/~toolshed47/ and a pulse calculator that I found from googling (there's at least 2 out there, but only one works on XP64) but I dont know of their accuracies. Personally, I don't care as long as I'm getting ballpark ranges for management purposes, and after seeing the results I really could care less about 1 or 2 day's difference over the span of a year and rather see nice round or even numbers on my stats.

Stat's main purpose is for skill contests. A difference of 10 in all mentals isn't worth all the effort if it is purely for learning purposes. A difference of 20 in all mentals, well, if your character wasn't already going to develop mentals that way maybe because of class or play/combat style, you're most likely better off ignoring the temptation of the 1~2 weeks you might save from learning, because the improved mentals also means lower physicals which means far more pain in the process of getting those ranks.

My thief has 38 agility and has been regularly dealing with snowball's and cliffhangers (bandits, geni's, at 160's disarm and 150 lockpicking, my lowest survivals) while OUTSIDE of town and only botched maybe 1 in 20, none of which were fatal at 28 stam. The character also had only 22 discipline (bad, bad, for race) until recently so I'm not personally seeing significant beneifts to khri that I'd follow how everyone else swears by it for a thief.

Precision min-maxing takes way too much time and fun out of the game that I just stay away from it.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 12:25 PM CDT
>I really could care less about 1 or 2 day's difference over the span of a year and rather see nice round or even numbers on my stats... Precision min-maxing takes way too much time and fun out of the game that I just stay away from it.

Look, the guy was asking about mentals over a span 300-500 ranks, and people are answering in terms of single digit points in a stat and exp returns over a day. It seems like anwering a macro question with a micro answer to me. We're looking at years down the road over the course of thousands of ranks. No one is precision min-maxing here.

The difference between my current mentals and me going forward the next year with all 30's going forward is maybe ~200 ranks, 2 circles and ~600 tdp's. Obviously my mentals weren't always this high, but perhaps gradually increasing my mentals over 30 for the past four years has netted me an extra 650 ranks, 6 circles and 1800 tdps. We're not talking about drastic changes on a day to day basis here, but the long term benefits become increasingly clear.

I am playing devils advocate for mentals here because I seem to be the only one in favor of mentals for learning purposes. I completely agree that if you don't care about moderate increases in the rate you advance, don't play much or plan on playing long or if you just get more satisfaction out of haveing superior physicals early on, then mentals aren't worth it.

>Calculators

Datarealms and Atomictim use the same calculator. Atomictim just has an extra tools. They are definitely ballpark calculators, which is why I was refering to ballpark percentage ranges.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 01:43 PM CDT
I am talking about longterm differences. 10 in each mentals diffierences is only a couple days at best over the span of a year's training, and this is talking about tert skills. If you want to go beyond 1 year, just multiply those few days by how many years you want. The difference is negligible.

If we're talking about 20's difference in each mental skills, then as I have stated, if your favored playstyle doesn't already involve that much mentals, you're better off without it. Forcing yourself to overtrain mentals to save maybe a month's playing over the span of a year will frustrate you to no end the remaining 11 months of the year due to restricted optoins.

My point is that you should train your character however you feel comfortable, not go with the "best way" others tell you. I'm sure everyone has heard this a thousand times from other games already, but this is even more true in DR. Going out of your way to aim for something that is theoretically more efficient is just going to set yourself up for an unhappy, soured gaming experience, burnout, and leaving the game.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 02:02 PM CDT
>I am playing devils advocate for mentals here because I seem to be the only one in favor of mentals for learning purposes.

Nah, you aren't the only one:

Discipline : 62 Wisdom : 67
Intelligence : 99
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 02:03 PM CDT
>I am talking about longterm differences. 10 in each mentals diffierences is only a couple days at best over the span of a year's training, and this is talking about tert skills.

10 in each mental means a whole lot more than that over the course of the year. Unless you barely play anyway.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 02:27 PM CDT
>10 in each mentals diffierences is only a couple days at best over the span of a year's training

Maybe if they train 2-3 days a week. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to train, but I think you are severely discounting the benefits of this kind of TDP investment.

>Forcing yourself to overtrain mentals to save maybe a month's playing over the span of a year will frustrate you to no end the remaining 11 months of the year due to restricted optoins.

What restricted options? We're just talking about training mentals past 30, not forgoing all other stats. My reflex and agility are both higher than my intel and wisdom. My discipline is my highest stat, but that is largely because of the stealth benefits it brings. I'm bringing both agility and reflex to 50 over the next 7 circles or so. I haven't found myself restricted at all.

~ S.S.
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 03:19 PM CDT
I'm at circle 65, and working lockpicking to get to 70th myself and was just thinking about this whole Stat raise. I figured out this morning that when I circle the 5 times, I should have enough in TDP's from the circles along with all the training I've done to up my mentals. Along with agility and reflex.

Reflex right now is at 30, which I'm raising to 35
Agility is 35, which I'm raising to 40
Intel is at 30 which I'm raising to 35
Discipline I'm raising from 35 to 40

Least thats my goal next week once I hit 70th. I'm goin to leave Wisdom alone (30 right now) till I have at least 50 in intel than going to pound out wisdom. As it stands now, here are my stats at 65th.

Strength : 30 Reflex : 30
Agility : 35 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 35 Wisdom : 30
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 35

I'm sitting on right now 300 TDP's just from training after hitting 65th and upping Charisma from 25 to 30. I'm set now except for 3 ranks in hiding, 13 in lockpicking and 3 in backstab for 70th. So I'm looking forward to the 5 circles of TDP's to set up what I'm going to end up doing. Not sure if my posting helps any, but thats how I'm setting Dalkin up.

~Dalkin~
Re: Which stats to raise 06/22/2007 03:29 PM CDT
>Maybe if they train 2-3 days a week. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to train, but I think you are severely discounting the benefits of this kind of TDP investment.

The less time you spend playing in a week the more noticeable difference it is, though not by much. In my example I was calculating how long it would take me to raise a tert skill, mindlocked, from 130 to 250, assuming 16 hours/day, 7 days a week. I find it would take me about 3-4 months , assuming I do nothing else but keeping tem mindlocked the entire 16 hours/day (yeah right), at 24/30/30. If i raise each stat by 5, I would save a day or two; negligible. This is using DesTINYx Skill Calculator (the other one I was recommended to and downloaded years ago doesn't work on XP64).

If You changed the amount of time spent a week from 7/7 to 3/7, then it would take 6~8 months, saving maybe half a week.

The effects of mental stats are much less noticeable with Secondary and Primary skills as we drain them so quickly.

>What restricted options? We're just talking about training mentals past 30, not forgoing all other stats. My reflex and agility are both higher than my intel and wisdom. My discipline is my highest stat, but that is largely because of the stealth benefits it brings. I'm bringing both agility and reflex to 50 over the next 7 circles or so. I haven't found myself restricted at all.

My fear is that the way you encouraged mentals might led to people overskew their stats, such as doing 15~20 physicals and 30~40 mentals, with the mindset of "mentals first, physicals later", thinking it is more effective.

If you're talking about "end goal" stats, then the learning benefit is irrelevant. Without skewing your stats, the process of attaining 50's mentals, you're not really benefiting from the higher mental benefits back when you're circle 20~30.

Whichever of the previous 2 concerns, I hope to avoid casual gamers who do not have time to discover the {in}significance of learning rates and end up with a 20th gortog barb with 30's mentals who drops dead twice a day.

When I say restricted options, if your physicals are too low, you are forced to stick with lower tiered critters, boxes, or what not for much longer periods of time. This can be very boring or very frustrating as you near the learning cap for the respective tier.

If your stat development conflicts with your playstyle, you may also die much more frequently, and personally I'd say each time you die you lose about 15~30 min it took to gain all that field exp, and 5~15 more min to come back to life. With poor physicals, you're likely to die more than once a week. This more than offsets any benefits from skewed mentals that doesn't suit your playstyle.

Myself, I am rather happy that my 38 agil/160 disarm thief can pop bandits without thief bonus (just khri) and having the physicals to not die more than once a month.
Prev_page Previous 1 3