stats...do i need them? 01/05/2005 11:02 PM CST
Why as a theif should i bother getting Discipline and charisma? i know charisma helps with death but whatelse would i need it for?
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/06/2005 12:57 AM CST
charisma is used for lower fines and stat vs stat calcs

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/06/2005 04:58 AM CST
Discipline is important for everything, encomberance, spell resistance, cookies, probably a slew of things im unaware of.

Zailen

>Ishtvan whispers, "Bank, you are dead."
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/06/2005 06:29 AM CST
As Zail said discipline is good....but charisma just to lower fines is worthless, best to spend more on agility to make stealing easyer so you get caught less.

~Apprentice to Damaris
Of the Red Headed Step Child Guild
(RHCG)
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/06/2005 01:24 PM CST
I have 15 charisma and don't care, not sure I'll ever train it.

Sslad
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/06/2005 01:37 PM CST
My suggestion would be to train discipline up with every other important skill (it helps with cookies alot from my understanding, along with many other things) charisma is pretty useless unless you want to lower fines or yer a bard :P (this is what I did, its totally up to what you prefer)

The mind behind Jostak

I have the power to take everything from you, including your life.

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/07/2005 08:53 PM CST
Erm no its not? It helps us with makin things talk and not getting caught stealing and boosts overall skill. I think maybe it was Soim who tested it but I remember reading a test by someone that said Charisma is definatly NOT worthless to us teefs

~Birkan Featherhands teh drunken Prydaen
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/07/2005 09:07 PM CST
then u go spend your tdps on it ill stick with my 8 lol

Don't fear the dark, fear what hides in it.
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 01:50 PM CST
yay, voice throw....woopty doodah, you can spend TDP's on charisma to confuse noobs...ill stick with everything else lol

The mind behind Jostak

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 06:59 PM CST
What is Charisma good for? CHarisma is good for when you get caught picking pockets and your victim goes to report you to the guards... there's actually a check, and if your charisma is high enough, the guards don't believe the accusation.
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 08:18 PM CST
Like we've been saying, Charisma is useless.

Sslad
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 09:05 PM CST
>there's actually a check, and if your charisma is high enough, the guards don't believe the accusation.

Hmmm so thats what happend, Ragran stole from me outside the bank door on ratha, I went right to the guardhouse on first and accused him...they didn't do anything about it....

~Apprentice to Damaris
(RHCG)
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 09:53 PM CST
Ragran moved to Ratha? wow..... was wondering why Haven was so Quiet..... well maybe Ratha will get a visit rom Tigron.....

Legionnaire Deagar
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/08/2005 11:39 PM CST
>yay, voice throw....woopty doodah, you can spend TDP's on charisma to confuse noobs...ill stick with everything else lol

I have but one word in response

Lavender

>Grins and fades back into the chaos.

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 12:38 AM CST
Kraelyst pulled a good one off...but I still dont care for voice throw :rasp:

The mind behind Jostak

Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 09:00 AM CST
VT's not the only thing Charisma is good for.

GameMaster Risek
Thief Development Assistant
What you think is real is your reality. - Robert Kiyosaki
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 02:39 PM CST
I know, but everything else is useless to me. Whats the list of things it helps? the getting caught thing is somthing I live with, voice throw I can live without too, the multi opponent thing isnt very useful unless you have a group hunting...I just dont like charisma, lol

The mind behind Jostak

Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 05:29 PM CST
Charisma is widely useless. There are some various situations where Charisma may help, but frankly they are few and far between. While there have been many posts by GM's over the history of DR about making Charisma more important, unless you are of certain guilds that have key charisma based abilities, its not a useful statistic after 20 points.

Focus in Discipline Agility and reflexes. If your a 'melee' thief, strength and stamina are of importance. Intelligence and Wisdom are nice to train but wisdom is a stat of diminishing returns in terms of pulsing rate.

~~From Hell

"Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."- Alfred Noyes
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 06:41 PM CST
<<Charisma is widely useless.>>

Eh?

-Ssra

The ultimate in reasoning is to come to the realization that there are still an infinite number of things that are unreasonable. -Blaise Pascal
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 06:48 PM CST
What I said. If it effects some luck factor is always ominous, but frankly thieves work in a highly specialized set of skills that rely heavily with certain stats than others. This makes charisma not very desirable. Q.E.D not worth the tdps.

~~From Hell

Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 07:22 PM CST
I kinda like that we don't need charisma to be effective.....Better then the teaching thing nearly every guild has.....4 ranks in teaching just because you want to heal people, bah!

~Apprentice to Damaris
(RHCG)
Re: stats...do i need them? 01/09/2005 09:13 PM CST
not to mention its magic prot effects are weak, took my moonie and tested min mana to MB at like 26 for stun and 32 for sleep, went and raised said character 15 points of charisma at one time and tried again exact same mana it took. Then went out and got 1 disc and it took the moonie more mana to MB. so if 15 charisma doesnt even equal 1 disc its pretty useless

Re: stats...do i need them? 01/11/2005 02:30 AM CST
More so; unless you pvp alot you do not encounter hostile spells often in this game. Face it, most creatures are unimaginative and just attack attack attack *clever emote here* attack attack. Sometimes there is the rare creature that breaks the mold, but this is the minority. Charisma might have some impact on some things, but compared to other stats, its simply undesirable. You can train probably to nearly 100th circle in many guilds combats and never once hunt a magic using creature.

~~From Hell

Re: stats...do i need them? 01/13/2005 01:37 PM CST
i dont even try magic using creatures its too unpredicatable, im not waging my life on a will vs will roll when i can just hunt normal ones :)