Armor Req 06/06/2004 07:36 PM CDT
Why do thieves need an armor requirement? It seems to me that if any guild is meant to go armorless, it is the thieves. Down with the armor req! I am an angry mob of one!

Twitchet

"No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find...I shall KILL you."
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 07:40 PM CDT
Show me a thief with no armor and I will show you a moron.
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 07:44 PM CDT
hey my plan is to get enough evasion ranks i won't need armor.

Yamcer

Listen to the MUSN'TS , child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES , the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 07:53 PM CDT
Thats my hope too, Yamcer. And I'm not saying armor isn't helpful sometimes, it just doesn't seem like it should be a requirement for Thieves.

Twitchet

Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 07:56 PM CDT
>hey my plan is to get enough evasion ranks i won't need armor.

No such thing buddy boy.

-Ipkin
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 08:18 PM CDT
Armor's what keeps you from dying from those lucky hits that things will always get on you when you're training evasion. Never a time you don't need it. Unless, as was said earlier, you're a complete moron.

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
You exclaim, "Rawr! Fire!"
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 10:12 PM CDT
Well I AM a moron! I died just as often when I wore leather as I do without it. I guess I'm just good at running away like a sissy when I get punched in the eye or nicked in the throat. I think that if someone chooses to RP a thief who doesn't like being hindered by armor in any way, that choice shouldn't prevent them from advancing in the guild. Wearin armor seems pretty unthiefly to me, despite the fact that lucky hits make it helpful when training combat.

Twitchet

Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 10:25 PM CDT
> I think that if someone chooses to RP a thief who doesn't like being hindered by armor in any way, that choice shouldn't prevent them from advancing in the guild.

inv armor
You are wearing some reinforced hide gloves, a kite shield, some somber black leathers, and a leather cowl.

If you were only maneuvering in some somber black leathers you would be unhindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently unhindered.

Nobody can make you wear it. You can sit in classes if you want to circle.

-Ipkin
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 10:44 PM CDT
Talk to Tulls, he didn't wear armor for a long time, and with the req change he went backwards a lot. He ended up switching to chain I believe. Course I slept in the last months since he was talking about it on the boards. But Thieves like that are out there, you don't want to wear it? Dont, get the min req per circle. Its not that bad, by the time you are worth anything as a thief, you still don't have that many by min reqs, unless you train above that. Meh

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

~TEH Zombie Ninja Monkey Pirate

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 10:49 PM CDT
the new cloth armor looks like something that would be good for us thieves that don't want armor hindrance but don't want to be completely unprotected. Have to see how it looks when it's released.

Yamcer

Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
Then listen close to me-
ANYTHING can be.
Re: Armor Req 06/06/2004 10:55 PM CDT
THAT sounds promising. Would love it if my leather longcoat offered some body protection. Could even add head protection when the hood was up!

Twitchet

Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 04:45 AM CDT
>>the new cloth armor looks like something that would be good for us thieves that don't want armor hindrance but don't want to be completely unprotected. Have to see how it looks when it's released.

>inv armor
You are wearing a brass-edged battle shield, a pitch-black mask, some darkly oiled leathers, and some studded leather gloves.

If you were only maneuvering in some darkly oiled leathers you would be unhindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently unhindered.

<shrug>

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 05:06 AM CDT
there is still a min hindrance based off armor type you can't work anything down to 0. same for stealth hinderance it's min is a set number based off armor type. I'd assume cloth would be lower on both than leather there by giving you more effective ranks to defenses and stealth

Yamcer

Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
Then listen close to me-
ANYTHING can be.
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 05:20 AM CDT
Correct Yamcer, but your armor ranks provide you bonus 'protection'. That amount of protection is based on both your armor ranks, and the protection value of said armor. Rank fo rank, you will get enhanced defense from Leather over Cloth (assuming all our assumptions about how Cloth will function are correct), similar to how plate derives more protection per armor ranks compared to leather.

Korsik: You were wearing your shield in that example. I believe some time about Ssra altered shields so they do not add hinderance while being worn, only when they are held.

~~From Hell

"Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."- Alfred Noyes
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 06:11 AM CDT
You will never not need armor. There will always be someone out there that could hit you.

And at that time you'd probably rather be well protected.

Who says you can't mix RP (with an accent!) and be OOC at the same time.

Melodiel says, "He cannae if I say I do not choose to rp or interact with him"

Melodiel says, "which I did"

You, too, can be a great role-player. Just like Melodiel.
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 06:22 AM CDT
I was alerted I was a bit off with my remark Korsik. It seems the shield worn gives 'some' hinderance, but not its full hinderance as if it was being held in hand. Thought Id correct myself before you could.

~~From Hell

Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 06:35 AM CDT
Okay, then take off the shield and put it away in the vault, since I barely have any ranks in it. And what do I get? Unhindered. Sure, thieves can work leather down to what.. 5%? Something like that. And leather is not hard to work down. So I'm just about there. Onoes! 5% hinderance! Horrible indeed. Without armor, as Rayfe said, there's still always going to be someone who can see you in hiding, and who can hit you with an arrow or bolt. Simple as that. And having something between your skin, and that arrow that hit you is a good thing. I guess I could be wrong, and that it might be better to have nothing protecting you at all when you take an arrow in the face causing you to die instantly, but.. that sounds rather silly.

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 07:46 AM CDT
The biggest part about armor is the stealth hinderances. Even leather armor gives a 15-25 rank penalty to stealth.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 09:02 AM CDT
I'd rather wear armor than no armor. Personally the lose of 10 or so stealth ranks with my set of leathers compared to the damage I would receive not wearing them justified them (atleast to me). Per the stealth hinderances, I havnt noticed it be as bad as 20 ranks, but I guess some of the much more hindering leathers like ironbarks or combats might get way up there. From what tests I have seen the chain penalty is pretty hefty (although, rightfully so. To quote Royce, -chink chink-).

~~From Hell

Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 09:04 AM CDT
I would agree that I really dislike the armor req. Not because I think its wise to go armorless however it forces Thieves to be a melee. Its my personal view that a purely bow weilding or purely ambushing/BSing Thief should possiable. I'll admit I play a Paladin primary but a Thief secondary. So when I am hunting with my Thief I hate having to be a melee because of dumb armor ranks I play him for the hide stalk and stab aspects of the guild.
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 09:11 AM CDT
I get all my armor reqs by dancing with crap that teaches me evasion. I have garbage multi op and garbage parry (working on that) but my evasion and leather are decent. If you can't get armor ranks, that means you aren't getting: parry, shield, evasion, multi op or parry, as far as I know. And that means that you are a wussmaster and need to get them defenses up! It's all well and good if ya want to shoot things or backstab things, but frankly if that is ALL that you do you will be king pansy and be jacktified in one hit by Joe Tog the 12th circle barbarian with an uber log.
Re: Armor Req 06/07/2004 09:17 AM CDT
I'm not saying it's bad enough to justify not wearing armor...wearing no armor is stupid. On the contrary, chain armor isn't even hindering enough to stealth to pass up wearing it.

But that is the main downside to armor for stealth guilds: stealth hinderance.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.