Learning escaping 04/26/2004 03:40 PM CDT
Any hints on this? I have been away and looked but found no information any where. Of course no search makes it hard to spend hours looking post by post.
Re: Learning escaping 04/26/2004 03:48 PM CDT
You can learn up to 20 lessons in escaping in the breech tunnels of Theren Keep- but watch out for the wolf spiders and keep in mind that there are places where you can't walk upright- unless MAYBE you're one of the shorter races. You can also learn escaping by running through the muck near Dirge, but you might want to stop and DIG first at least for the first couple of lessons- otherwise you'll end up falling down. You can learn up to 30 lessons of escaping in the dusk ogre tunnels west of Haven, but again watch out for wolf spiders and the ogres themselves. Beyond that, I'll let Soim talk- He seems to be the resident escaping expert.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Learning escaping 04/26/2004 03:51 PM CDT
Thank you Ryeka I have a whole 2 lessons! *grin
Re: Learning escaping 04/26/2004 10:12 PM CDT
::chuckle:: You're welcome!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Learning escaping 04/26/2004 11:18 PM CDT
>>Any hints on this? I have been away and looked but found no information any where. Of course no search makes it hard to spend hours looking post by post. >>

Honestly... get a class. I had a great teacher for my beginning escaping ranks... gave me 22 ranks pretty much right off the bat. Basically just find a good teacher, get some jugglies/mech stones, and have at it. Juggle and play with the stones while you listen, It's MUCH easier to learn in a class for the first 20 ranks.

After that, Ryeka is spot on. Go to the duskie tunnels and run around, but watch out for the arachnids. After that, it gets harder. Kartai's, Unyn's and maybe a few other creatures teach it, but you can't hunt them safely until well later in your career. Escaping is really a 'wait until you're strong enough to learn it' kinda skill.

Crythis
Re: Learning escaping 04/27/2004 04:11 AM CDT
To back up what Quinn said, I've managed to teach the rest of my characters escaping, and when you get up there in teaching ranks, you can really make a difference.

Consequently most of my "major" characters have 72 escaping thus far, including my empath that has never ran around in the tunnels.

Course, it kinda helps that I have 306 teaching. Sick, just sick.

Schvartz. :-)

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Learning escaping 04/27/2004 04:26 AM CDT
>>Course, it kinda helps that I have 306 teaching. Sick, just sick.>>

306 teaching?! ::shudder:: As a primary... well.. kinda primary... well i dunno anymore... player of a Cleric, we despise teaching! My 40th circle cleric has about half of that, and every rank is a pain. I dont know how you did it, more importanly, I don't know how you had the patience to do it... but geez... good for you. Teach Crythis some time <g>

Crythis/and bigger brother *** the cleric
Re: Learning escaping 04/27/2004 08:40 AM CDT
<<I dont know how you did it, more importanly, I don't know how you had the patience to do it... but geez... good for you. >>

Well..when you have the family around to help you, all things are easier. ::Grin::

~Chris

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are." -- Zen proverb
Re: Learning escaping 04/27/2004 04:36 PM CDT
> I dont know how you did it, more importanly, I don't know how you had the patience to do it... but geez... good for you.

Spend 200 dollars a month, and you too can have 300 teaching.

-Ipkin
Re: Learning escaping 04/27/2004 05:01 PM CDT
exaggeration Ipkin. I have never spent $200 in one month except 4 years ago to go to simucon. I also presently have 3 accounts <3 prem 1 of which is going basic in a few days> which i'm eventually going to trim down to 2. Nirveli has 6 accounts. Soim has 4 accounts. Why don't they have 300+ teach? because they enjoy training other things. Its all a matter of how you enjoy spending your time in-game.

C'est la vie.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Learning escaping 05/06/2004 10:03 AM CDT
I'd really like to see escaping become a more important skill. Perhaps with a more interactive justice system (trying to escape from shackles and the squeeze through the bars before guards take you out of the cell), various areas of the game you can try to contort your body to get into, use it to break out of a hold when something grapples with you (of course this would require creatures to start using brawling). If the skill is going to be there, there should be a concerted effort to put it to good use.
Re: Learning escaping 05/06/2004 11:33 AM CDT
creatures using brawling? apparently you have never fought a claw troll.

~The Ever Cynical Elec

~On pulling posts..."Opinions are good.. negative opinions arent." -BM Pomae

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Learning escaping 05/06/2004 03:02 PM CDT
Yeppers, the higher-ups are working on escaping. Or so they promise. Quickly, to the dusk ogre tunnels!

(Batman theme music)

Rogue Ranger Rociel, riding rampant racehorses!