The Nutshell 02/22/2004 11:13 AM CST
<<why does one need 8 survival skills that define being a thief why not 4 or 6 and then 2 that define you as a person and make everyone different like all other guilds, that would be a good way to define the guild and then allow freedom
I could see them telling barbs ok you need 8 weapons to circle and you must pick from tese 9 the others dont count
VALCER

WOW Now that right there says it all pretty clear. We got some flex sure. but were hard pressed and heemed into 8 out of 9 skills only when there or 13 to choose from.

I love my GRITS !
Girls Raised In The South !

Re: The Nutshell 02/22/2004 11:28 AM CST

And on the guild defining skills it was implemented

hard guild defying skills are

HIDE
STALK
LOCK PICKING
STEALING
and one would assume Backstabbing

5 of the 8 needed from the (truly 9 allowed) from the 13 available.

Also not to argue but some GM's say one day well after these mandatory ones then of the list of 10 we picked those or guild defining.

Yet same ones on another day can preach on about how we need to be all secret and disguise and pretend and fit in with all other guilds.

So it would seem pretty dern guild defining to work hard on things that are suited to your pretend titles or fitting in when in other situations. That is more of a real disguise then saying you put some fake eyebrows on and now look like a wookie.

Wile it is great to envision people would or should naturally gravitate toward the better 8 of the 13 survivals after the top 5 bases are covered it should not be mandatory. all the den survivals are hard to train and if they pick ones not perfectly suited it only hurts them or aids to the RP style.

I love my GRITS !

Re: The Nutshell 02/22/2004 11:32 AM CST

Note the guild defing choices

FINAL:

* PRIMES * 1-10 11-30 31-70 71-100 100+
HIDE
STALK
LOCKPICKING
STEAL

* SURVIVAL * 1-10 11-30 31-70 71-100 100+
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th

and to be honest Backstab is not even selected. There are but 4 Guikld defing skills. Thats on one hand. Yet the other hand says YOu can pick but from 9. Thats were the fault lies. So apparently some think there are more than 4 we need and its kind of smoke and mirrors to a degree on what we can really work with or train.

5th, 6th, 7th and 8th, should be about any survival. it may make you a bumbling fool but then you got the primes covered and if your a fool then thats your problem.

I love my GRITS !

Re: The Nutshell 02/22/2004 12:11 PM CST
yep and i dont see how disarm defines a ranger but majority circle with it

i dun see TM as defining a cleric but alot use it

I dun see a dagger as defining a barb but a large amount use LE to circle

it goes that way for everyguild but we are always the one who has limits for realism or because it just doesnt sound like a thief to one gm

Don't fear the dark, fear what hides in it.
Re: The Nutshell 02/22/2004 01:42 PM CST
I see it as a large shaded area. You have the 4 guild defining skills Soim pointed out. Cut and dry scream THIEF. Black. From there, you start moving into grey and closer to white. Less thief oriented/defining skills - yet greatly varying in how much less depending entirely on how any specific individual's definition of a thief and the guild in this game.

You can try to argue certain skills "aren't black enough" (swim, skin, FA). Yet if there were only 8 survivals that fit in that black-enough area, yet they also wanted to allow more flexibility, they'd use their imagination to find reasons to incorporate a couple more (hmm... sounds sorta like what they're doing with climbing and escaping. "Rooftop climbing is on the backburner, but will someday come out!" "Escaping is extremely difficult to train and useless now, but will be worked on!").

I see trying to use this "not black enough" angle as a mistake by the GMs. It's easy to see the fallacy in its logic - I could use my imagination and come up with a 100-page post of examples and ideas as to how these skills are or could be more than suitable enough in our guild leaders' eyes to count towards circling. It's misleading to the players as to the real reason for not incorporating them. Saying things like, "The essence of being a Thief is not tending your wounds, or swimming in a river" is bound to annoy some players, because many of the skills we are allowed to circle with, like climbing, aren't the "essence of being a thief" either. As a result, I've seen many players grow heated and frustrated over this since the requirements first came out.

I see the bottom line of the debate here as merely being a difference of opinion on how much of that grey area should be cut off and allowed use with circling in this guild (how much versatility should be allowed). The real reason for having such rigid requirements, far as I can come up with, is to prevent giving too much flexibility. Balance is a must and you do have to keep it fair. Yet I don't see how making FA, swim, or skin allowable towards circling would be of any harm since our guild's requirements are more rigid than the others.

Gonif pointed out, "ranger guild owns skinning, just like we own lockpicking". But I see this as relating A to B. I'd say foraging : lockpicking :: skinning or FA : disarming. Yes, snares and traps are coming out, which will put disarming more in the ranger field, but alchemy is coming out which will put skinning more in ours, and first aid is extremely thief-like... moreso than disarming will be ranger-like even after PC traps get implemented. Yet, rangers are allowed to use disarm to circle, and we are not allowed to use skinning or FA.

All in all, I see a slightly bigger piece of the grey-area pie being cut off for us here being more balancing than detrimental.

Gybrush

"Die. Please. All of you just die somehow."
-In commemoration of Miilo