Stalking 05/19/2003 07:24 AM CDT
One problem I see with the stalking requirement at higher levels, is the impossibility of learning this skill outside of combat.

I've been hitting the shops alot the last 2 days. Learning hiding okay, learned not one diddly squat of stalking, even though I sneak in and out of the shops on my runs. My stalking is over 275, my hiding is over 50 ranks higher.

Shouldn't stalking be learned when engaging in sneaky,stealthy activities?

Schvartz

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Stalking 05/19/2003 09:19 AM CDT
Problem with stalking is that when your sneaking on stealing runs, sneaking in and out of shops, there's no REAL NPCs there. Shop keepers don't register as an NPC or anything, not the kind you need. There are a couple of ways to learn stalking outside of combat, really really well:

1) Tourney. I'm dead serious. The average perception of a someone who plays is well over 200, and if you stalk around with all those people, your stalking moves. Perception does too. See, tournies arn't just to kill anymore =)

2) The museum. I guess its cause the guards perc is cranked up or something, but with 300ish stalk I can easily lock it sneaking room to room in the museum. Lock stealing as well.

Those are the two I use most outside of hunting. The museum, you can sit there all night and lock stalking, just like combat. Tourney's only last so long, and if you die, well, you didn't learn much huh? Anyways, stalking is very combat dependent, due to the fact that it now awards experience based on the learner's stalk skill vs the perc of whatever they're stalking past. Moral of the story? Stalk around people/critters/NPCs with really high perc, or, just stalk and backstab =)

-Greg
Stalking 08/13/2004 04:08 PM CDT
I currently have 69 stalking ranks and need three more for 18th circle. I cant seem to get it to move, im wondering if this is a wall rank ( I dont know jack about wall ranks ) and also, im hunting dusk ogres if that has to do with anything, I lock it fairly well

The mind behind Jostak

I have the power to take everything from you, including your life.

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: Stalking 08/13/2004 04:17 PM CDT
Stalking will move as long as you stalk before you backstab. If youre mindlocking it, dont worry that is a wall rank. If youre not coming off of learning or thoughtful, always stalk the critter and that should do it. At 69 ranks, you should be locking up in duskies easily.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Stalking 08/13/2004 11:21 PM CDT
I think I read someplace there for us every 8th rank is a wall rank....

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Stalking 08/14/2004 01:31 AM CDT
<<I think I read someplace there for us every 8th rank is a wall rank....>>

Yeah, but it doesnt fall at 8, 16 ect....it falls on an odd number, and I dont know off the top of my head (since I'm not griping about one right now) where it is.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Stalking 08/14/2004 01:57 AM CDT
Whatever you start with in that skill, the wall will be 8 ranks from there. ie: you start at 3 ranks of something, your first wall rank in that skill will be 11, if it's a survival skill. If it's a secondary skill, starting at 3, your first wall would be at 7, and if it's a tert skill, it would be every second rank after the initial starting ranks.

if memory serves me, it's every 8th for survival, every 4th for weapons and lore, and every second for armor and magic. At least I think that's what it is.

~Bre

Blood flows red. Without skin, we're all brothers.
Re: Stalking 08/14/2004 03:01 AM CDT
That is correct. Every 8th in primary, 4th in secondary, every other rank in tertiary.