Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 04:26 PM CST
How is such a thing possible? I did virtually back to back complete playthroughs (I stopped after unlocking the last chunk of Venice and grabbing all the feathers on the second play through) I love that game, it's everything the first should have been but wasn't. You can pickpocket, you can backstab, it's sweet as all get out, IMO.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 04:41 PM CST
My friend got this game because the first was so entertaining. We started it for the first time yesterday and turned the stupid thing off after twenty minutes of terrible graphics, painful dialogue, and long boring cutscenes.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 04:56 PM CST
Yes, well, repetitious eavesdropping and a hero with no character, and a story with no plot are preferable to some I suppose. Heh. As for "terrible graphics" you must have just despised the first one, because they're, oh, the same. Heh
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 05:06 PM CST
Well yeah they're the same, but the second made them look so much worse with too many close-up cut-scenes, like the birth? Ew.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 05:10 PM CST
I will concede that the faces in the cut scenes do not hold up very well, but Ezio's story and rise to uber-Assassin is much more interesting plot wise than Altair. Also, the repetitious side missions are way less annoying, because you don't have to do any you don't want to. All in all, I thought it was like 5 times better than the first one, even if it is a bit slow to start. Also, the semi annoying Desmond sequences are fewer and farther apart, and less annoying as you go. (I say semi annoying because the ideas and conspiracy theory stuff is fascinating, but the actual game play for said scenes is tedious) Once you get to DNA sequence 2 or 3 the game really picks up and just becomes more and more impressive as you go, really.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 06:04 PM CST
So far AC2 is verbatim the same as AC1, except with added creepy faces. 10 hours in, or so.

Infamous and Batman AA did it much, much, better.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 06:10 PM CST
Having not played Batman or Infamous I can't say if they "do it better" or not (Though I hear great things about Batman) however if you think AC2 is "just like" AC1, you've obviously not played AC1 in a long long time, heh. While the similarity is enough that AC1 feels like a tech demo for AC2, the differences are in fact pretty significant.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 06:12 PM CST
I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed the simplicity of AC1. When I saw that AC2 had a money system of some kind I knew it was going downhill.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 07:12 PM CST
Like most games the money system "breaks" rather quickly, you wind up having way more than you'll ever need.

As for AC1, it was pretty and kind of fun, but had flaws. Guards chasing you across an entire city on rooftops... only being able to blend with those slow and stupid scholars... and most of all, the repetitious missions that led up to the actual assassinations. By the time I was taking out the final target in Acre I wanted to cry at the idea of sitting on another bench or beating up a courier or whatever. Not to mention the random citizen be attacked constantly everywhere was highly annoying.

I was never bothered by the economic system, nor did I ever really find myself "wanting" for coins or anything. ~shrugs~ To each their own I suppose, but I feel like AC2 is far and away a better play than its predecessor, even if it is not as good as some other games (Batman AA) I have not had the luxury of trying yet.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 07:24 PM CST
I've never played Assassin's Creed one or two. (<-- this is my on-topic segue into...)

Dragon Age ftw!

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 07:27 PM CST
::high five::

Mass Effect 2 coming! Yay!

I just hope the dragon blood armor is terrible in it, because after looking at that ugly graphic in dragon age so long I'm not sure I could make it through another game with it.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 07:32 PM CST
Double blades. Need I say more?

As for the money stuff as someone else pointed out money's not an issue. I spent a lot of time gathering treasure chests because I like flying over roof tops and trying to figure out where they hid the chests (even though I always shelled out for maps), but even if you don't do that, as long as you do some improvements on your villa you'll never really have to worry about money.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 07:59 PM CST
I feel obligated to point out that just because a game has graphics does not mean that it's real life.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 08:27 PM CST
>>I feel obligated to point out that just because a game has graphics does not mean that it's real life.

Good point, also that quality of graphics does not determine the quality of the game (or shouldn't)
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 08:38 PM CST
But don't you need a real life in order to see and critique graphics??!

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/19/2009 10:25 PM CST
I got bored with Dragon Age, to be honest. Micromanaging combat for my party just felt tedious as I reached the endgame (I was playing PC format) and I just never got around to finishing the final battle sequence. I am looking forward to Mass Effect 2 though, especially if the rumor about using Mass Effect 1 character saves has any substance to it.
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/20/2009 01:12 AM CST
>>My friend got this game because the first was so entertaining. We started it for the first time yesterday and turned the stupid thing off after twenty minutes of terrible graphics, painful dialogue, and long boring cutscenes.

The first twenty minutes really are terrible: reducing a game as unusual as AC1 into ten minutes of story review makes it sound terrible, and the cut-scenes (particularly the birth scene) painfully highlight the weakest points of the graphical engine.

I would encourage you to play through another twenty minutes. Once you become an assassin things start to pick up rapidly.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Tired of Assassin's Creed 2?!?1 12/20/2009 10:03 AM CST
>I would encourage you to play through another twenty minutes. Once you become an assassin things start to pick up rapidly.

It's taken about 5 hours for the game to get 'good' for me. Those first 5 were mostly me swearing and being bored.

It's a large-scale tutorial, really. Once you get to the 'real meat' of the game, it gets a lot more fun. You unlock the villa, and weapons/armor, and different kill techniques.