A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/14/2007 07:25 AM CST
Recently I got curious about a book that I had been waiting for a few years to be published so I went and did a search for Robert Jordan. I found the blog webpage that he had and I learned that on October 13th of this year he passed away. In my opinion he was one of the best fantasy authors of the day and I for one will miss his writing.

Rest in Peace Robert Jordan.

Shakahn grins at you.
Shakahn hums to himself.
You ask, "the stonebows, if I was to ever get one altered, think it would fly as an Over the shoulder boulder holder?"
Shakahn laughs!
Shakahn says, "Doubt that part."
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/16/2007 11:00 PM CST
Rest in peace.

And a moment of selfishness: The last books not finished?!?! Argh!
Oh well.
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 03:24 AM CST
Let's all pray George RR Martin Doesnt go the way of the dodo befor Fire & Ice are done!

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 05:54 AM CST
here here Denz

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 12:12 PM CST
>Let's all pray George RR Martin Doesnt go the way of the dodo befor Fire & Ice are done!

You can say that again. I have a signed copy of Game of Thrones. Waiting for Fire and Ice
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 05:35 PM CST
>>And a moment of selfishness: The last books not finished?!?! Argh!

He actually dictated the great majority of the book to his wife and some other friends before he died. If you check out his blog (you'll have to google it since I don't have the link handy) you'll see that the book will still be written based on his notes and all the stuff he told his family before he died.

As you consider an attempt to stalk the Empath Fraethis, you believe it's blind as a bat. Go for it.
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 07:08 PM CST
The latest one was really a great read, things really started picking up.

Cant wait to see his work finished.

RIP
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/17/2007 07:18 PM CST
>>If you check out his blog (you'll have to google it since I don't have the link handy)

www.dragonmount.com
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 11/21/2007 08:47 AM CST
>>I found the blog webpage that he had and I learned that on October 13th of this year he passed away.

Not that it matters, since dead is dead, but it was September 16th, for whatever it's worth.

/Happened to be reading Dragonmount's forums when it was posted

>>The latest one was really a great read, things really started picking up.

Agreed. I had become rather disenfranchised with the series after book 6 or so, but having already invested a hundred-plus hours into reading some 5,000 pages and change, I had to know how the series ended. Book 11 finally picked up the pace and made me interested again. Hopefully Harriet will be able to put it all together in the next year or two, but who knows?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 08:30 AM CST
I know Im a bit late to add to this thread, but, hey, I usually dont even read this thread, but ....whatever...
I started reading the Wheel of Time back in....1994. I loved it and continued to enjoy the series....till the 8th book came out, after over a year passed in between books.
I guess all my griping about "How the &^@% can an author make his fans wait so long in between books?" and "What the @&^%# is he doing writing other books, even other series in between WoT? Not all his fans will live forever waiting for a frikken ending!"

Well, now it turns out I was sort of right. The author wasnt going to live forever either.

I guess what Im trying to say is, if you start something that effects others, maybe you should try to finish it in a timely manner.

Id love to say Ill miss him, but.... like I said, I stopped following the series after the 8th book. Future writers take the hint. Readers deserve more when they shell out twenty or more dollars a book.
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 08:47 AM CST
>>I guess all my griping about "How the &^@% can an author make his fans wait so long in between books?" and "What the @&^%# is he doing writing other books, even other series in between WoT? Not all his fans will live forever waiting for a frikken ending!"

I thought this as well, the truth is he actually wasn't writing other books during this time. All the books that were released were previously written

>>I guess what Im trying to say is, if you start something that effects others, maybe you should try to finish it in a timely manner.

Do you want it finished in a hurry with a crappy story or do you want it well written?

>>Id love to say Ill miss him, but.... like I said, I stopped following the series after the 8th book. Future writers take the hint. Readers deserve more when they shell out twenty or more dollars a book.
>>Well, now it turns out I was sort of right. The author wasnt going to live forever either.

This is just cold...
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 09:15 AM CST
>>I thought this as well, the truth is he actually wasn't writing other books during this time. All the books that were released were previously written

Just in case you don't believe me or need clarification, http://www.tarvalon.net/jordan_bibliography.asp
Please note that the books that you are saying he wrote in between books are all reprints.

Just feel lucky you picked up the books that late, I started reading just before Lord of Chaos came out and have been patiently waiting for each book since. It's a long time but it's a fantastic story and worth waiting for. Hopefully when Harriet (RJ's wife) is through grieving she will go through the notes and tapes he left as well as the partially written manuscript and find a good ghost writter (no pun intended) to finish the story (Memory of Light was going to be the last book anyway).
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 09:30 AM CST
That was.. rude.
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 07:41 PM CST
>>I guess all my griping about "How the &^@% can an author make his fans wait so long in between books?" and "What the @&^%# is he doing writing other books, even other series

Quick tip don't read GRRM titles then ....

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/04/2007 09:11 PM CST
>>Quick tip don't read GRRM titles then ....

Stephen R. Donaldson too, hasn't Thomas Covenent been going on since the 70's?
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/05/2007 09:31 AM CST
>>Stephen R. Donaldson too, hasn't Thomas Covenent been going on since the 70's?

Perhaps, but there are so many OTHER reasons not to read those books.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/05/2007 02:41 PM CST
Pretty sure it's publishers, not authors, that usually make the decision on how many you can publish how fast. Books take lots of marketing, and lots of time for word of mouth to kick in. Not that I agree. At a certain point...say 8th book...I think a following is pretty well established. GRRM is pissing me off, agreed. If you have time and can find it US, check out Steven Erikson, good stuff.
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 12/05/2007 03:12 PM CST
>>Pretty sure it's publishers, not authors, that usually make the decision on how many you can publish how fast. Books take lots of marketing, and lots of time for word of mouth to kick in.

Generally this is true but normally it's the reverse. They'll only publish a certain amount in a certain format. This is exactly what happened in RJ's case writing as Regan O'neil. They only published a limited amount of the Fallon series and all in mass market paperbacks.

Regardless you can only publish as fast as you can write and Robert Jordans massive books, I'm sure, took alot of time to not only write but to review and edit.

Oh I just thought of something, did you perhaps mean New Spring when you were talking about writing a new book in the middle of the series? If so this doesn't really pertain since New Spring was a prequel and can be done well in the middle of the series (see Debt of Bones, Terry Goodkind).
Re: A sad farewell to a GREAT author 01/04/2008 08:30 PM CST
While I do wish his family condolonces, Robert Jordan was NOT a great author. Like Tolkien he created an elaborate and extensive fantasy world, and then "wrote stories" to explore this world, his prose was atrocious. His timing horrible. He winds up splitting into so many subplots that you can't follow from book to book who's doing what and spend the first half of each book trying to remember what the heck is going on. Nobody needs a paragraph of description for the embroidery of a characters dress in EVERY scene the character is in. It's excessive and tedious. Somewhere around book 5 or 6, I truly felt he completely lost direction of the story and was simply milking the "best seller" number of people now hooked on the series. It isn't until book 9 that it regains some kind of purpose, and even then, he's barely moving along. Frankly, the primary reason I believe he did regain focus is he died of a slow terminal illness I believe, maybe some genetic thing, all I know is I'm pretty sure he knew it was coming. Regardless, I'm quite find of the Mattrim Cauthon character, I LOATHE the number of them running around in the game. Perrin, too, on both counts. I've heard the final book will be published, posthumously, based on what he had done and his notes and out lines. I will read this book as well. But seminal detail is not good writing. Even if you are fond of it. I'm guilty of loving HP Lovecraft, who also has a tendency to not know when to edit his descriptions. It's a fine balance between sensory immersion and tedium. Sorry to be a punk, but I'm just being honest. If its any consolation, I'm inclined to take death much more lightly than most people I encounter. I know how serious it is, but I've accepted it as a matter of existance, as it were.