Re: Percussion 07/02/2006 01:53 PM CDT
I guess you never saw Zoolander.

~Nosirol et al
Platinum
Re: Percussion 07/02/2006 11:37 PM CDT
>>I guess you never saw Zoolander

I want my two hours back for watching that one...talk about a complete waste of my time. Almost as bad as wasting my time with the one Ben Affleck was in, its so bad I won't even name it...::shudders:: But Zoolander? Man, that one never should have been made.....

~Just Me~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 12:31 AM CDT
I hope that entire post was a joke...

If not, you need to invest in a sense of humor.
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 02:58 AM CDT
oops..../humor on

heh ..../humor off

~Just Me~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 03:33 AM CDT
Zoolander was hilarious. Period.

-Wighten
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 04:57 PM CDT
I can't think of a single movie with Ben Stiller that I actually enjoyed. My ex-girlfriend made me watch Zoolander. I don't think I laughed once.

~Minstrel Ascot, Song Weaver of M'riss
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 06:20 PM CDT
What about "There's Something About Mary" or "Dodgeball" ?

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 06:44 PM CDT
Rip Torn is the one that made "Dodge Ball" so funny...

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."
"If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball."

At least they weren't made to watch "The Matrix" during training, then it'd be:
"If you can a dodge a bullet, you can dodge a ball." :X
I don't think they'd have had anyone on the team after that...

Well, Lance Armstrong and Chuck Norris helped out too. XD

Happiness stems only from violence. - The Stock
It's like putting a band-aid on cancer. - Philip Anselmo
Re: Percussion 07/03/2006 07:04 PM CDT
I never saw "Dodgeball". Didn't have any interest. I didn't find "There's Something About Mary" to be all that funny. I maybe chuckled a few times but didn't really care for it.

~Minstrel Ascot, Song Weaver of M'riss
Re: Percussion 07/05/2006 11:50 AM CDT
<<I never saw "Dodgeball". Didn't have any interest.>>

I strongly suggest checking it out.

Solomon

What's going on?
http://www.livejournal.com/~drbubba

Re: Percussion 07/05/2006 11:09 PM CDT
dodgeball was a wacked out movie.

Sok da Dwarven Horse Rustler Wannabe

"Trick us again child and your suffering will be legendary even in Hell"

Pinhead-Hellraiser II: Hellbound
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 03:27 AM CDT
I dont like stiller in most his movies either but how can anyone dislike something about mary and meet the parents!!

those are two classics in the top 10 comedy list of all time for me
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 08:39 AM CDT
The first time I saw zoolander, I thought I wanted those hours back too. But I swear,t he more you watch it the funnier it gets.

The meet the parents duo and something about marry gave me a few chuckles, but nothing like Old School, Van Wilder or Out Cold; those had me rolling.

~ Tender Infiltrator Purehand Woundedlife, Co-Pay Enforcer of Elanthia.
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 01:02 PM CDT
well you have no taste if you think van wilder is a better movie then something about mary, may I inquire your age? Something about mary is somewhat older
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 01:34 PM CDT
>well you have no taste if you think van wilder is a better movie then something about mary

You're critiqueing 'taste' in a disussion involving van wilder and something about mary...

~ Tender Infiltrator Purehand Woundedlife, Co-Pay Enforcer of Elanthia.
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 04:16 PM CDT
Words to the wise: it is not "bad taste" for someone to have a different sense of humor than you. It is merely a different sense of humor. Similarly, there is no "smart" or "dumb" comedy. Different things get different people laughing.

~Kashik
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 04:42 PM CDT
>>there is no "smart" or "dumb" comedy. Different things get different people laughing.

depending on how smart or dumb they are.
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 07:40 PM CDT
There are no wrong answers, just dumb or smart people.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Percussion 07/06/2006 11:01 PM CDT
>>There are no wrong answers, just dumb or smart people.

Heh.

Very different, though. All humor is low-brow. It is a baser instinct, and there is no higher rational level it is working on. It can use knowledge in a higher level to trigger the humor response, but the triggers for humor are like allergies: they are not chosen, and different triggers do not indicate a person's taste.

~Kashik
..this is a topic that I have opinions on purely because people on Fark.com like to attack other people for their sense of humor, as if it's an indication of themselves as people...
Re: Percussion 07/07/2006 08:13 AM CDT
>>Very different, though. All humor is low-brow. It is a baser instinct, and there is no higher rational level it is working on. It can use knowledge in a higher level to trigger the humor response, but the triggers for humor are like allergies: they are not chosen, and different triggers do not indicate a person's taste.

I still believe in the ladder of comedy. According to research done by Dr. Penny Pexman at the University of Calgary, the ability to understand sarcasm tends to develop with age. By age 10, most children can fully understand sarcasm and why it's funny. However, there are those (especially with brain damage to the prefrontal lobe or those with autism) who cannot understand sarcasm at all.

Anyway, not to get into it too much, but there are those that understand wit and those that don't. If humor were solely a baser instinct, it would be more uniform among the population (like making a vocal exclamation when someone scares the pancakes out of you). I agree there is a fundamental level of humor that is almost universal, but I think there is more to it as well.

>>..this is a topic that I have opinions on purely because people on Fark.com like to attack other people for their sense of humor, as if it's an indication of themselves as people...

Now, drawing judgement based on someone's sense of humor is another issue. That being said, I asciiheart Fark.com.

~player of Gulphphunger

/proud Fark member since 2002
Re: Percussion 07/07/2006 09:16 AM CDT
>>I still believe in the ladder of comedy. According to research done by Dr. Penny Pexman at the University of Calgary, the ability to understand sarcasm tends to develop with age. By age 10, most children can fully understand sarcasm and why it's funny. However, there are those (especially with brain damage to the prefrontal lobe or those with autism) who cannot understand sarcasm at all.

I agree that sarcasm, and other things that can be humorous, are sometimes difficult concepts to grasp. It think, however, that whether or not one finds, for instance, sarcasm humorous is not a product of mental development, but a unique result of the inherent psychological and chemical profile of a person (which can change over time).

This, I think, is why most people understand sarcasm, but a lot of people don't think it is funny.

I think that "baser instinct" was not the right phrase for me to have used in that post. Rather, the comparison to an allergy is more accurate. The triggers of humor, I think, are not chosen or developed, and, while one may be intimately familiar with ragweed, it might not make one sneeze (to stretch the analogy to the clumsy breaking point). One can understand sarcasm and why it's funny to some people, but that does not necessarily make sarcasm the least bit humorous.

I understand, for instance, why Arrested Development was funny to a lot of people. It never particularly tickled me, though.

~Kashik
Re: Percussion 07/07/2006 10:46 AM CDT
But these are equivalent:

>product of mental development

>result of the inherent psychological and chemical profile of a person (which can change over time).
Re: Percussion 07/07/2006 03:27 PM CDT
>>But these are equivalent:

>product of mental development

>result of the inherent psychological and chemical profile of a person (which can change over time).

I disagree. Or, perhaps, I should clarify. By mental development, I meant development of mental faculties (education, ability to think, or experience, because I was talking about the practice of observing a person's sense of humor to determine their maturity or intelligence). In the same way, my personality is unlikely to change over time. I am, and probably always will be, INTP. It is not dependent on the sophistication or lack thereof of my mind.

It is possible for personality to change slightly with time, but, again, that is not a product of mental development in the sense I intended. Humor, I think, is the same way. It is a product of nature, very early nurture, and the incidental events and effects of chance that slightly alter the fundamental nature of one's brain and mind.

~Kashik
Re: Percussion 07/07/2006 05:43 PM CDT
And to go way afield...

<<I understand, for instance, why Arrested Development was funny to a lot of people. It never particularly tickled me, though.>>

Not enough people and thus the cancelation... Le Sigh

Me 'n Him still missing the show
Re: Percussion 07/09/2006 10:26 AM CDT
>>I disagree. Or, perhaps, I should clarify. By mental development, I meant development of mental faculties (education, ability to think, or experience, because I was talking about the practice of observing a person's sense of humor to determine their maturity or intelligence).

It's true--I know several brilliant people with no sense of humor whatsoever. That's why I get such a kick out of putting itching powder in their pants.

~player of Gulphphunger

/got nothin'
Re: Percussion 07/10/2006 03:35 AM CDT
<<I was talking about the practice of observing a person's sense of humor to determine their maturity or intelligence). In the same way, my personality is unlikely to change over time.>>

Actually, the majority of psychlogical research do in fact find significant positive correlations with humor and intelligence (not to mention a variety of other psychological and physical traits). Traits such as intelligence, artistic expression, general mood, immune function, body and facial symmetry (and many others), are all positively related to each other.

In reference to personality, trait-like personality does in fact change over the course of the life. However, it is not across the board. If you were to adopt the Big-5 perspective of personality (Openness to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism, which is the most widely utilized framework, cross-culturally), they are indeed relatively stable across time and place. However, the facets, or different traits, that make up these larger factors do in fact change over the course of the life cycle. For example, risk taking/sensation seeking, which is a facet of extraversion decreases over time, especially in males. Where males are typically high in this trait from post-puberty through their late 20's it declines across the rest of their life (on average).

Salud,
Just a lurker
Re: Percussion 07/12/2006 02:05 PM CDT
>For example, risk taking/sensation seeking, which is a facet of extraversion decreases over time, especially in males. Where males are typically high in this trait from post-puberty through their late 20's it declines across the rest of their life (on average).

"i hope i die before i get old"