Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 01:20 PM CST
I'm fairly new to the guild, and I have recently returned to the realms. So I'm starting to wonder about stealing... I feel a little like a troll asking this, but it is possible to earn equivalent money stealing vs hunting. My hunting ranks are about equivalent to my stealing ranks. Stealing is actually a little ahead. Selling shop items to the pawnshop hasn't very profitable so far. I haven't intensely studied every playable character carefully, but I haven't found many opportunities to make much money through them. Its also quite dangerous to try since I am young. The most consistent way I have found to make money from it is to fleece the war veteran as often as possible. So anyone want to share how they maximize their profits stealing? Is it worth it to try to make money at a low rank or should I wait a long while until I grow older to steal from PCs? I just read something from the abilities skills and magic folder stating that even at 900 ranks shop stealing was a money losing endeavour.
Any advice or suggestions? I hit the occasional jackpot with boxes from reavers and dusk ogres, and I'd like to mirror the success with stealing.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 02:53 PM CST
So part of the problem with profiting from stealing is the way the pawn shops are setup. The more often an item is sold to a pawn the less it's value becomes to that pawn shop. You have to constantly hunt for items that other people aren't selling to the same pawn shop.

Best advice I can give is pawn in a different city than where you stole from, after that it's just about finding what you can steal that actually sells.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 03:21 PM CST
>it is possible to earn equivalent money stealing vs hunting

Oh gods no. You'll lose money stealing in the long and short run unless you engage in player stealing, which requires you to have stupid victims and high skill.

Pants.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 03:29 PM CST
>>Oh gods no. You'll lose money stealing in the long and short run unless you engage in player stealing, which requires you to have stupid victims and high skill.

I wouldn't say you'd lose coin in the long run with stealing. It's no where near the amount you can make hunting, but I'm always in the black so far, at 400+ ranks.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 03:47 PM CST
I never bothered with the pawn shops for the reasons other people have mentioned. I'd rather bin everything and keep a good reputation than earn a piddling amount compared to what I make hunting. Stealing from players (especially during fest times...oh how I love fest time) is generally very profitable, but not something I engage in day to day any more. Either way, my character has more money than she knows what to do with, I ran out of silly things to buy a long time ago.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 07:19 PM CST

I make about 10 plat in 10 minutes doing a stealing run from shops and pawning, granted thats not a ton, but the way I have my stealing run set up, I'm already going from point A to point B for other training purposes, so I might as well rob every shop along the way and 10 plat is better than zero plat.

I don't really steal from other players for income, more just for RP or boredom, only time I think its probably lucrative economically is if you work an event or festival, or get lucky with someone on their way to the plaza.

But is it equivalent to hunting?

Not even close.

Learn to love skinning or locksmithing, or both, thats where the money is.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 07:25 PM CST
>I make about 10 plat in 10 minutes

You need to put this in perspective before people go 'woah!'. You're...what circle? Because I believe you're high up there. Which means a (random number here) 100+ thief can make 10 plat stealing once an hour. And you can't do that too often or you'll flood the pawn shops (honestly I have no clue how you don't as is), unless you're stealing in mooseparty.

Pants.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 07:34 PM CST

>You need to put this in perspective before people go 'woah!'

Ok sure, I was making about 5-6 plat a run from about 300 ranks, its gone up since.

I'm only stealing 1 item per shop, and obviously per hour, so pawn shop mechanics aren't really a problem.

What or where is mooseparty?
Re: Stealing and Profits? 02/14/2013 07:55 PM CST
mooseparty = muspari

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 03/03/2013 10:28 PM CST
Stealing profit, compared to hunting profit is a joke.
I bin the majority of my items in stealing runs because the rep is more important.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 05:31 AM CDT
I don't know if it is because of 3.0 but that 10 plats for 10 minutes is starting to look pretty good.

Any of you guys make up to 10pk/h at high level hunting these days?
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 05:40 AM CDT
>>I don't know if it is because of 3.0 but that 10 plats for 10 minutes is starting to look pretty good.

I can make better than that in Crossing around prime time. I usually come out with 50-80 plat after 20 or so minutes. That works out to 25-40 plat/10 min. I don't make near that hunting at juvie levels.

Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 07:36 AM CDT
<< I usually come out with 50-80 plat after 20 or so minutes.

Wow, that's a lot more than i can manage but even at around 8 plats in 10 minutes it feels like pretty good money compared to hunting.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 09:49 AM CDT
I'm highly suspicious of those numbers being regularly valid.

I'm a troll, I be trollin'
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 10:51 AM CDT
>I'm highly suspicious of those numbers being regularly valid.

Why's that?
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 12:03 PM CDT
Someone claiming to pull 80 plat a day, in a few minutes, every day, doesn't make you go 'I wonder why they aren't telling me to make those numbers look better'?

I'm a troll, I be trollin'
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/21/2013 04:04 PM CDT

The coin generation from hunting has been so out of whack for so long that people don't even care about walking around with large amounts of platinum on them anymore. I've had days where I pulled 50-100 plat just from a 15-20 minute span alternating between the Ranger, Empath, and WarMage guilds in the Crossings. Don't even get me started on chasing traders down the NTR or something. Add in festival coin carrying or things like the Uwresari box gems that people have in open containers and that number goes through the roof.

In one day a week or so after the last HE closed, I pulled 4 spiritgems and 3 planetary gems in the span of a single khri cycle (19 minutes give or take) and even at low market value that was 1000 plat. The possibility for high returns is out there, just gotta be willing to risk the beatings you might take for doing it, heh.

-O
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/22/2013 05:10 AM CDT
Everything Osus said. The amount you can make from player stealing is incredible. In Crossing at primetime hours on a weekend a thief with decent skill can make at least 50 plat in less than 30 minutes.

Is it as reliable as hunting? No, no where close. Depending on how your PvP stance is set it could be riskier than hunting also since it locks you Open. Player stealing thieves are a dying breed though, so most players don't even worry about us anymore. That is just fine with me.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/22/2013 08:05 AM CDT
How many ranks in stealing are we talking about and doesn't stealth play a role?

- Buuwl
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/22/2013 02:28 PM CDT
<< The amount you can make from player stealing is incredible.

Okay, i didn't realize you were talking about player stealing. I already started to second-guess my item selection but couldn't figure out how i could ever make that much. But then I'm not at all surprised at those numbers and it's obviously not comparable to any kind of yield potential from hunting. Pretty much the more people make from hunting the more you will start to make from player stealing.

I was thinking more in the lines of PVE setting only, as in shop stealing and how it seems to be worthwhile to start pawning items as of 3.0. Looking at this thread there seems to be a bit of controversy about the matter and i was curious to see if people have reconsidered their position about this. I sure have.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/22/2013 04:26 PM CDT
>>I was thinking more in the lines of PVE setting only, as in shop stealing

I realized that much later. I haven't really followed the thread and was assuming you were talking player stealing. I'm no help when it comes to shop stealing as I hate doing it and don't train thievery because of it.
Re: Stealing and Profits? 06/22/2013 04:35 PM CDT
Sorry double post.

>>How many ranks in stealing are we talking about and doesn't stealth play a role?

For me I have ~400 thievery which isn't a lot but enough to get into 90% of the realm's pockets. As far as stealth, I'm not sure what role it plays into stealing. It might be a separate check for if you are caught, or it could be part of the success check. Hard to tell though since our khri combo that boosts stealing also boosts stealth.

I guess you could test with mark while putting up the different khris to see if a stealth buff makes a target easier or not, but I'm too lazy to really do that right now.