So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 12:57 AM CST

My Thief, recently awoken from another long slumber (some 3 years) has noticed that even other thieves now seem to take an active roll in dissuading him stealing from other adventurers. As everybody and seems to be much higher level then him, the pickings are hard to get by, and he still respects the old code and avoids stealing from Empaths or Clerics while they are rezzing.

It seems that as the community has dwindled, most everybody is friends or palls with most everybody else. Those relationships are put over the Guild by some thieves I've been finding around. I was recently thumped for stealing from an empath. The thumper was another thief. The victim did not caught me. The thief was not the spouse of the donor. The action was not even in a healing area, and THE EMPATH IN QUESTION WAS NOT USING ANY TITLES, OR ITEMS THAT POINTED OUT HIS CHOSEN GUILD. When I looked and marked him (which I always do) I thought he was a well to do Trader.

Some new blood will hopefully be coming soon into DR. Lets not be yak-orifices and roleplay as Guildmates. It includes tough love, of course. But lets do try to roleplay a criminal organization whereas guild rules are first (we may need to explain the guild rules again) and guildmates are only second to family (if at all).

Madman
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 07:03 AM CST
you were lucky you only got thumped. unfortunately, the rules of DR have changed. You are now set as "open" <check the PROFILE verb in-game> for PVP theft - Not only if you don't get caught, and not only to the victim and his/her significant other /champion, but to all the unwashed tom, dick and harrys out there that might find it fun to slaughter someone just because they can, with absolutely no RP behind it. imho, a turn for the worse.

I'm fine with "taking your lumps" if you are caught. I'm Not fine with the whole idea of being set to "open" when you don't get caught.

player of schvartzgonif who is retired and living in downtown muspar'i. Locksmith, not a thief.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 10:40 AM CST
>>I'm Not fine with the whole idea of being set to "open" when you don't get caught.

Thieves don't need, and shouldn't be coddled. Personally I think all thieves should be set Guarded+ similar to Necros. We're a guild of criminals.

There are still thieves out there that respect the guild as a whole over the individual, though you'll have to earn that respect from a lot of them. Just because you joined the thief Guild doesn't mean you're worth a damn in my Thieves Guild.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 10:52 AM CST

I remember you, very old School indeed. Completely outrageous that an unnoticed, successful or not, dipping of the fingers should make one OPEN for pvp. Isn't there a PvP flavor that has to do with GUarded, meaning, if RolePlayed, one is game? If one gets caught, by the victim, it's guardian or spouse, OPEN PvP as presently, but if one is not caught by any of those mentioned before, Guarded PvP (if it is the one meaning open, as long as roleplayed).

Thanks for the advice player of schvartzgonif.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 11:15 AM CST
>Stealing/PvP Open argument

This is been gone over many times now, and has been in place for well over a year at this point. Most people think it is fair, and the ones who do not don't steal from PCs anymore. It's not changing, and in fact more actions are going to be set up like stealing/gweth-smashing are now.

My advice is to do some research on E-pedia to find out what has changed, and what is about to change, and hook up with some guilded Thieves to find out what's going on in the guild.

For the most part the old code and all the RP is dead, outside of a few people. If you want to try and revive the past, be my guest, and good luck.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 02:13 PM CST
>>Isn't there a PvP flavor that has to do with GUarded, meaning, if RolePlayed, one is game? If one gets caught, by the victim, it's guardian or spouse, OPEN PvP as presently, but if one is not caught by any of those mentioned before, Guarded PvP (if it is the one meaning open, as long as roleplayed).

I agree with you in theory. In practice this is a terrible idea. They didn't just wake up one day and decide to make PC-stealing set you open because they hate Thieves. They did so out of necessity, because there were many diaper-baby Thieves running around constantly griefing and flagrantly stealing from dozens of PCs and then QQing/reporting when someone attacked them but didn't have consent.

If you're a true roleplayer, realize you are robbing from people, and be willing to take your lumps. Player-stealing, and all the various ways that players can use this tool to interact with one another, cannot be handled strictly by a passive, context-stupid mechanic like the justice system.

Besides, if you actually are discreet in your theft and don't get caught by anyone, you will very rarely be punished anyways.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 02:32 PM CST
I steal from players all the time. Usually if you hit a busy room, people won't even see through the scroll that you stole from someone else. Just be sure to move on pretty quickly if you get caught or if someone else notices you. Sucks that you got thumped by a guild mate, seems out of line to me on his part even if you did steal from an empath. Not enough players to be picky and skip the empaths either. Just be extra careful not to get caught, if you value getting healed.

Would love to see more "thick as thieves" type camaraderie in the guild, I miss that too. Hopefully post 3.0, stealing/thievery will get revamped for PC and NPC stealing and will make it a bit more relevant.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 04:26 PM CST

But if the baby thieves (and nowadays that I hear people talking about ranks in the thousands, I'm barely one of those) steal and get caught (which I think is the principal element of grieffing) I concur the PvP is open. The community has a right to protect themselves.

Now if the thief follows the steps and control himself so he/she was not caught, PvP guarded. You certainly are a suspect... play it out.

A more balanced solution can be reached. One more ingrained with the idea of Role Playing that DragonRealms sponsors.

Many may be tired of this conversation, after a year, but since I am back after some 3 years out, it is all new for me. If DR's plans are successful and many new players come to ELanthia, and many return from long slumbers, I believe the debate will be revived.

As the Philosopher Iris Chacon used to say "Ni poco ni demasiado, todo es cuestion de medida". (Neither too much, nor too little, is all a matter of measurements).

Ex-Madman
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 04:37 PM CST
I will make one post on this subject, mainly because I know it's going to turn into an exercise in head bashing/face palming.

The main problem you seem to have with this, is you view being set to open as a punishment for stealing from other players. This is a fallacy. It is the system being able to automatically represent your PVP stance accurately. You are engaging in willful Player (You) vs Player (your mark) conflict. This is the price for doing business.

I'll leave up to you to figure out why you think PvP Open is a punishment. Hint. It has more to do with general behavior than most are willing to admit.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 06:24 PM CST
>automatically represent your PVP stance accurately

I don't really have a thief of significant level, so I don't really have a horse in this race, but I disagree here. Guarded means "willing to RP conflicts", open means "kill me for whatever reason you want". Thieves steal from people, so PvP stealing is RPing a conflict. I think, maybe just for guilded Thieves, it should be set to Guarded for PvP stealing. You're still perfectly within your rights to crush them for starting a conflict, given you catch them.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 06:25 PM CST

The system, however, is by-passing the stealth fact that is part of the Thief Guild. The system is bypassing the reason for look, mark, decide, that a roleplaying thief would use. The system in by-passing the difference between an stealthy move and a blatant, miscalculated, misguided or wrecked by bad luck one.

The stealthy, lucky, measured thief, is set for PvP Guarded, willing to play, role play, conflict and conflict resolution. The unlucky, greedy, grieffer thief, that is caught by anyone but another guild-mate, is ratted out and is high season for him for, at least, the next 4 hours of game time. RUn and hide, go and sin no more, eccetera, eccetera, eccetera...

I am talking from the point of view of role-playing. I do not think that DragonRealms has given up on the role-playing nature of the game.

Ex-Madman
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 06:43 PM CST
>>I am talking from the point of view of role-playing.

If you're allowed to role-play a thief who steals from other players, why can't others role-play murderers that try to kill you just cause? Fair is fair, right?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 06:45 PM CST
DragonRealms is a RolePlaying game, it has been stated all the way up to Solomon. So your correct there.

The part your having a problem is, this isn't just a Thief (guilded Thief) setup. You steal from other characters, your engaging in PvP conflicts. Your PvP stance should already be OPEN, but if it isn't the game will set it open for you. This was already part of the Gweth-smashing (which again does it regardless of whether one is successful in smashing the gweth).

There will be other actions that will go this way.

And as pointed out by others, this isn't a penalty, it just is the system recognizing the manner of your playing, and moving you into the appropriate category. If you do not wish to be part of the PvP Open group, cease stealing from other Player's Character(s), and after a certain amount of time you'll be allowed to rechoose another PvP stance you'd like to.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 06:50 PM CST
The reason you're being set to open is that you are starting a conflict with someone else that doesn't want to conflict. So turn about is fair play. If you want to steal coin (a mild form of an attack) from a player, then you shouldn't mind someone else stealing (killing you) your experience. You shouldn't be allowed to negatively impact other players if you're not willing to be negatively impacted back, hence you get set to open. It's been hashed and rehashed and it won't change no matter how much you complain. Take your lumps or don't player steal, fairly simple really. My thief is open 24/7 and still player steals on occasion. Haven't been killed randomly once yet, haven't been caught stealing and killed either for that matter.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 07:14 PM CST

"My thief is open 24/7 and still player steals on occasion. Haven't been killed randomly once yet, haven't been caught stealing and killed either for that matter."

If you have not been randomly killed once yet, I guess the role-playing is alive. I hope the reason is that people are interested in role-playing, and not that no one you've met happens to be roleplaying a serial murderer. I'll see.

Roleplaying and code limitations permitting... A. player steals from a character set as PvP CLOSED, gets PvP OPEN, no matter if he was caught or not.
B. player steals from a character set as PvP GUARDED or OPEN, if caught, gets set at PvP OPEN, is successfully stealthy, PvP GUARDED.

Sounds weird?

Ex-Madman
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 07:27 PM CST
If you shoot at someone that's open/guarded/closed and miss does that mean they don't have consent? You performed a negative action on someone, doesn't matter what THEIR stance is, only yours. You're OPEN because of your actions, regardless of THEIR stance. Don't negatively impact someone else and expect others to not be able to do the same. Golden rule and all that blather.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 07:41 PM CST
<<you are starting a conflict with someone else that doesn't want to conflict. So turn about is fair play. If you want to steal coin (a mild form of an attack) from a player, then you shouldn't mind someone else stealing (killing you) your experience.>>

However, what everyone seems to be missing is the historical issue of stealing within the guildhall. It used to be that "open pockets" was the rule inside the guild, and people would steal there to determine
1. pecking order
2. training -perception/stealing
3. socializing - thief style.

In the guildhall itself, it wasn't done to promote conflict - people knew not to bring coins in there. Even Newbies. <or they learned the ropes quickly>

I still don't think you should get set to open if you steal in the guildhall. Although the new place isn't quite the same, and nobody hangs out there anymore.

>
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 08:32 PM CST
As far as nobody hanging out in the Guildhall, I've been spending most of my free time hanging out in the den. Do a lot of people show up, not a LOT, but over time people have. New comers to the guild, heck from their mannerisms some of them are true new comers to the game.

So if you want the Den to be a happening place, you got to be part of the solution. Vote with your time.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 08:32 PM CST
I don't buy the roleplaying angle for this argument. If you successfully steal, there isn't any interaction, and your PvP stance doesn't matter anyways. It's only when you get caught that the potential for real roleplay emerges, and the PvP open flags reflects your status as a criminal.

Can someone just log on a bought HLC and murder you without interaction? Sure, which sucks. But you're engaging in unconsented aggression by stealing from other players, them's the brakes.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 08:38 PM CST
>The system, however, is by-passing the stealth fact that is part of the Thief Guild. The system is bypassing the reason for look, mark, decide, that a roleplaying thief would use. The system in by-passing the difference between an stealthy move and a blatant, miscalculated, misguided or wrecked by bad luck one.

Stealing is taking something from a fellow player, the same as killing is. It is a form of PvP, regardless of the skills involved. End of story. There is no 'you sniped that dude from hiding and he never saw you so you pass the 'locked pvp open' check'. If you engage in aggresive tactics vs. other players, you are pvp'ing. If you do not wish to pvp, do not engage in pvp methods and actions.

Don't like being open? Don't steal. You want a contest that is, essentially, no risk. You don't get any penalty, at all, unless someone sees you, and then maybe, but you get their coin. Or you get nothing. And they get to risk losing coin. Without a recourse but 'haha loser don't have coin on you'.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 08:48 PM CST

"If you shoot at someone that's open/guarded/closed and miss does that mean they don't have consent?"

You were seeing, thus the consent comes not from hitting or missing, but from the in game public action of being seen.
The only secret attack I have read about (which from what I read the victim may not know who committed it) is related to things that the Thirteen consider abomination, thus, in RolePlaying terms the OPEN season signal can be interpreted as a Mark of the gods that is apparent to any who seek it (a reverse of the mark of Cain that pointed out to the dammed condition of Cain but at the same time brought him protection from retribution).

All I am saying, is give stealth a chance.

Ex-Madman

P.S. I appreciate the lessons on the state of the guild, roleplaying and game mechanics that I am getting with all your answers. Thanks for your time.
Carlos
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 09:18 PM CST
I know I said only 1 post, buuuuut: How about we just remove mark for PCs.

That ought to eliminate about half the people in this argument if they can't mark someone to see if they could backstab/steal from someone successfully without getting caught. Then they stop PC stealing all together and stop beating this dead horse.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 09:56 PM CST
>The only secret attack I have read about (which from what I read the victim may not know who committed it) is related to things that the Thirteen consider abomination, thus, in RolePlaying terms the OPEN season signal can be interpreted as a Mark of the gods that is apparent to any who seek it (a reverse of the mark of Cain that pointed out to the dammed condition of Cain but at the same time brought him protection from retribution).

There is nothing correct here.

Magic snipe is a necromancer spell. You got that.

Gods, necromancy, mark-of-cain, whatever else has less than nothing to do with PvP, stances, or the price of arugala in argentina in the winter.

You're not just wrong, you're agressively wrong and clearly don't understand the systems in place, or that the boards are entirely OOC. Please go read about the systems you're discussing.

Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/19/2012 10:47 PM CST

Krooner, I was making a differentiation of how, within the role playing atmosphere we could understand that a successful stealthy attack using Necromancer Magic brings a PvP OPEN on the attacker, while a stealthy attack by a thief involving an action that not all of the thirteen find detestable, would only have a PvP OPEN change in profile if caught (thus not done stealthy) or, stealthy or not, if against a character whose player chose to be PvP CLOSED.

In the case of those that are into PvP Guarded or OPEN, if the action was done, or attempted without the thief being caught, the thief should retain a GUARDED Profile.

As to MARK, it is also part of avoiding conflict and being stealthy. It is like the appraise creature for the hunter.

AND Krooner, the reason I did not spelled out the Necromancer's ability is that I remember, from before, that game secrets were not spilled out here. I was not sure about how that magic was considered, so I aggressively err on the side of caution. My mentioning the Mark of the Cain and his predilection for frozen arugula during Argentinian Summers was clearly OOC, and was intended to show how a system could be understood, in-game, within the Roleplay boundaries of it.

Again, thanks to all for the time and the lessons.

Carlos.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 12:10 AM CST
>>while a stealthy attack by a thief involving an action that not all of the thirteen find detestable,

Is this code for sniping? You're talking about sniping, aren't you. Guys, I think he's talking about sniping. Oh god, I think the cat's out of the bag now. Next thing you know, people will find out about khri and we'll all be done for.

>>only have a PvP OPEN change in profile if caught (thus not done stealthy) or, stealthy or not, if against a character whose player chose to be PvP CLOSED.

No. And...no. Just no. As has been mentioned repeatedly just in this thread alone, the changing of your stance is not meant as punishment for your actions or your failure to perform said actions within the spirit of the guild. It's simply to make sure that your stance reflects your CURRENT playstyle. If you're robbing and SNIPING (OH GOD, SOMEONE SAID SNIPING) people left and right, then you are clearly acting conflictually, if only for a short time.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 01:58 AM CST

No sir, I was talking about stealing, which many here have explained is one form of attack. Don't panic.

Carlos
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 04:08 AM CST
If you steal from someone, and aren't caught, no one knows you were locked OPEN. No one will scream OMG THAT PERSON IS NOW OPEN!!! No one is monitoring your profile.

Carry on your day. It will revert back after it's done. There are plenty of PVP open people, you will get lost in the crowd.

Necromancers can also be locked open. It's not the end of the world.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 05:50 AM CST
>>As to MARK, it is also part of avoiding conflict and being stealthy.

No. Mark is about avoiding any consequences of conflict that you intend to initiate.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 07:43 AM CST
Stealing is intentional PVP no different than sniping. Both are stealth attacks. Trying to finess your way around it with terribad logic does not work. It's simple. Stealing teaches nothing, comparatively, to either player. The thief has no risk and all reward. The victim has no reward and all risk.

If you do not want to PVP do not PVP. Stealing is PVP. There is no grey area or buffer zone.

Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 08:43 AM CST
<<within the role playing atmosphere we could understand that a successful stealthy attack using Necromancer Magic brings a PvP OPEN on the attacker>>

I don't believe this is correct, unless any attack on another sets you to "open". Necromancers can be set to "open" by being ACCUSED of necromancy, which doesn't necessarily mean an attack on any other player, it can just happen because you've typed E, e, n, e, go gate too slowly while running out of town after training a stat or something. Whereas a thief is set open wherever they steal from a PC, intown or not. Also, if you steal on a trader, they are messaged, even if they don't catch you. And they have their own "trader thugs" they can accuse you to at their outposts if they have a caravan in tow when you steal from 'em. <although these can be avoided like a good thief does - by hiding for a certain amount of time. < i believe 1/2 hour or so after the theft?>

>
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 12:04 PM CST

The use of mark used to be encouraged as part of the guild being stealthy as well as part of avoiding conflicts. Young thieves were actively encouraged to use mark because getting caught would bring heat to the guild.

Players were criticized for not using mark, or repeatedly dipping in the pockets of easy marks so as to get caught and thus get into a conflict with another character. This worked specially well for high end grieffers who, before the present addition to PROFILE and the OPEN setting as a result of Player-Character stealing, could hide behind policy to limit the repercutions to the person they stole from (specially if no spouse was involved).

I defend mark because it was in line with being a stealth guild and in line with a pickpockets casing his "mark" before deciding to try to steal from a person or not.
I think that eliminating mark will bring about such a raise in conflicts between characters, deaths to starting thieves and the consequent strain in time for the GM's and the company that PC stealing will be removed or the guild eliminated. Some may see that as a good thing.

I believe that successfully stealthy actions should not cause your Profile to be Changed from Guarded to OPEN. My concern was about the impact in role-playing from random attacks, random attacks being those brought from people whose only reason for attacking is that the policy allows them to. Marking and stealthy stealing is how a guilded thief used to be expected to role-play. Blatant ones were not welcome. Random attacks based on policy (like nowadays "Your profile is set to open") were not encouraged in DR and from what I read here, it still isn't.

With luck I am the dumbest player of a thief character trying to return to DR. If the drive to bring people back, and to lure new players is successful, do have patience with them in debating or answering their question.

Thanks,
Carlos.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 12:07 PM CST
>I believe that successfully stealthy actions should not cause your Profile to be Changed from Guarded to OPEN

Yes. We know. You've been hammering it for days. It's not changing and you've been given reasons. Adapt or leave.

You are viewing everything through self-centric lenses and a massive wall of rose.

Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 12:14 PM CST
>>This worked specially well for high end grieffers who, before the present addition to PROFILE and the OPEN setting as a result of Player-Character stealing, could hide behind policy to limit the repercutions to the person they stole from (specially if no spouse was involved).

Let me give you an example of something I have seen before years ago, and why I feel this is a problem.

Thief steals from unbonded Empath multiple times. After doing so, he comes out and announces he has stolen several plats from her, slaps her, and begins to mock her incessantly for a period of ten minutes. Finally, someone gets fed up with it and attacks him, and then this lovely character reports and calls down a GM, accusing the attacker of unconsented aggression.

This winning character was not a roleplayer, but a griefer, and consistently used the tools of mark and stealth to pick only targets that had no hope of fighting back. These tools are tools of the trade, but they also enable aggression and abuse devoid of any consequence if used industriously (at least, they did before stealing locked you open).

Realize you are choosing to roleplay a brigand in a harsh feudal environment.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 12:41 PM CST

DIMINISHEDANGEL, thanks, that is what I was understanding as the need for the PROFILE changes and why it does have a positive roll in the role-playing environment. If a person on PROFILE GUARDED stance slaps and mocks another character, presently, I believe that any other character or characters can take it upon themselves to make that character pay. A complaint from the blabbermouth would be rule in favor of the characters that reacted to the RolePlaying of a bully by RolePlaying avengers. I do not know if a "Touch that Empath again and will make you pay" must first be uttered.

But I think, that as PROFILE PvP GUARDED works, even if the stealing was done stealthy, by publicly bragging about the theft, and then physically attacking the Empath (to humiliate even if no health damage to the character) anyone can then take the roll of protector or champion and intervene. If the thief keeps quiet after not been caught pick-pocketing, the GUARDED PvP profile will not result in what, from the point of view of the all the Characters involved, would be a random attack. My worry of course was that I thought players (specially those with high powered characters) were going around low hunting cities and areas actively looking for characters with a PvP profile in OPEN and starting a one sided fight to the death.

Thanks for your time.
Carlos.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 01:10 PM CST
>>I believe that successfully stealthy actions should not cause your Profile to be Changed from Guarded to OPEN.

It's important to recognize that your profile being set to open isn't an IC response to your character's actions, but an OOC response that reflects how you are playing your character.

While it's commendable to play a non-hostile/aggressive character and work toward never being caught as a Thief, your stance as a player that steals from other players implies that you, as a player, are comfortable with creating conflict between other players (what with the stealing), even if that's not how your character, as a character profile, necessarily feels.

>>My concern was about the impact in role-playing from random attacks, random attacks being those brought from people whose only reason for attacking is that the policy allows them to.

It's important to recognize that stealing is seen as a random attack. If you're comfortable conflicting with people without provokation by robbing them, even if they don't know it's happening, then you have to acknowledge that you're comfortable having people randomly conflicting with you as well, and that conflict can be violent.

Consider this a reasonable compromise, since that the alternatives could be something like not being permitted to steal from people closed and/or risking a warning if you steal from someone who is guarded, which is how things generally work with regular PvP. Stealing gets a special exception where everyone is always open season to your aggressive action (stealing) no matter their stance, but the exchange for that exception is that you as a player have to accept that your actions imply that you're open to aggressive actions from anyone, as well.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 01:26 PM CST
>Consider this a reasonable compromise, since that the alternatives could be something like not being permitted to steal from people closed and/or risking a warning if you steal from someone who is guarded, which is how things generally work with regular PvP. Stealing gets a special exception where everyone is always open season to your aggressive action (stealing) no matter their stance, but the exchange for that exception is that you as a player have to accept that your actions imply that you're open to aggressive actions from anyone, as well.

Personally maybe the GMs need to do this as well as what has already happened, because people don't seem to be able to act like adults.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 01:33 PM CST
>>Personally maybe the GMs need to do this as well as what has already happened, because people don't seem to be able to act like adults.

There's enough policy playing that goes on, the last thing that needs to happen is to restrict another IC interaction through OOC means. There's already plenty of ways to avoid being stolen from, there doesn't need to be a literal off button for it.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 12/20/2012 01:40 PM CST

TEVESHSZAT, SHADOW7988 and DIMINISHEDANGEL, thanks for the lessons. My thanks also to those others that choose to answer as patient adults. I can better understand now the PROFILE mechanics and the impact in the role playing in Dragon Realms.

As the player of a Madman, I no longer see the PvP consequence of my stealing, even from characters whose profile is set as PvP NONE, as Play.Net CAREBEAR pampering the few hundred that still play the game. Your style I think is also much more productive with what I hope will soon be experimented in the Game environment as hundreds more, perhaps thousand of new and returning players start coming up to the guilds, cities and the Forums for answers to what many of you must consider as dead issues.

Carlos.
Re: So, are we now the Shoplifting Guild? 02/05/2013 11:38 AM CST
Train up and get big enough that you can knock people's teeth out for interfering with the way you do business. Force meet greater force. Just one of those things, I'm afraid.

It's all about 'kickin ass and 'chewin bubblegum anymore. No one's gonna argue with a madman toting an AR-15.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."