Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 11:51 AM CDT
Hi all,

Self-admitted newbie looking for a good high level description of the justice system. I cant seem to find one anywhere. On a more tactical level I've had a few shoplifing convictions, and done my time in the brink. More specifically however I just got caught shoplifting and made it out of the justice area in question, how long do I lay low till my crimes are forgotten?
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 12:34 PM CDT
Oh the guards are really good at remembering, sadly you'll have warrants out till they catch you. Good news is that you won't be thrown away for good (at least under Crime 1.0?) a little time and a little money and your back to action.

Try to always have the money for the crime, you'll keep your gear, if not, they'll hold your gear for a short time while you get the money to pay.

Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 12:44 PM CDT
Forgot to add, if you don't pay in time, they sell your gear off.

There are a few areas in the game with special justice stuff, like taking one of your items from you for good (no chance to get back), or in 'clan' areas they'll chop your hand off (can be healed by empath).

Hope I got everything.

Bye.

Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 12:47 PM CDT
Thanks!

Wierd though. You'd think there would be a point in evading town guards?
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 01:21 PM CDT
>a point in evading town guards?

Currently, the only thing gained from evading guards is the escaping skill. It's gained in small amounts and you must be in the same room as a guard while wanted.

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 03:09 PM CDT
>There are a few areas in the game with special justice stuff, like taking one of your items from you for good (no chance to get back)

Where is this? Is it any random item you have on you or just stuff that you've shoplifted?
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 03:51 PM CDT
<<a point in evading town guards?>>

Some titles in the criminal section require active warrants.

<<Where is this?>>

I'm pretty sure it was Dirg, but I think it was disabled a while back. I don't want to test it to find out.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 05:41 PM CDT
>Wierd though. You'd think there would be a point in evading town guards?

Aside from the XP gain, I think the benefit is not getting caught, ergo not having to pay a fine, waste time, etc.

Does getting arrested cause a confidence hit?
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 06:41 PM CDT
From what I can recall it was Dirge (which was why I stayed clear of pilfering in that area); they may have changed it. I have a new thief in the game, that is learning his ropes, maybe I'll test it with him.

Re: Justice System Explained? 04/03/2011 08:42 PM CDT
But you will always get caught eventually...

I mean the warrents never go away...

not so much time savings as delaying the inevitable...

and besides, it appears that common knowledge says "Just turn yourself in and get it over with."

If thats the MO among the theives guild I'd say there is something not quite right there.
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/04/2011 04:55 AM CDT
>and besides, it appears that common knowledge says "Just turn yourself in and get it over with."

>If thats the MO among the theives guild I'd say there is something not quite right there.

The only reason to turn yourself in as a Thief is to avoid certain repercussions, some of which can be fatal. If your reputation in a province gets too low it gets tricky gaining entry to the guild there.

I seem to recall part of the reason for this is to prevent people completely circumventing the justice system, racking up large fines and never having to pay them.
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/04/2011 07:43 AM CDT
>>The only reason to turn yourself in as a Thief is to avoid certain repercussions, some of which can be fatal. If your reputation in a province gets too low it gets tricky gaining entry to the guild there.

IIRC, turning yourself in also lowers your fine and/or improves your ability to plead innocent.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Justice System Explained? 04/04/2011 06:21 PM CDT
I see turning yourself in as being like the Vory Z Vakone (Thieves with a Code), the Red Mafia, the Russian Mob, these criminals do a lot of time, and that is part of being a criminal, those who deal with the time they've had to do are recognized, those who don't are recognized in more negative ways.

Being tough, and taking it is good.

Giving info, talking to the guards, and gaining awareness to the law is bad.

Thus in DR.

Giving yourself up, keeps the law happy, but you don't give them info, you do your time, pay the fine, and get back to doing Guild Things.

Instead of frustrating the guards, making them heighten their security procedures, making it hard on other Thieves, drawing attention to the Organization.

That's how I see it.