Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 09:46 AM CST
>mark someone
You take a quick glance at Someone, briefly assessing his perception compared to your overall abilities.
He should be blind to your actions.
Briefly sizing him up, you think he has a little wealth and a great deal of coins.
>steal someone
You consider it, but Someone's meager coins just aren't worth the effort.

Uh oh, so we can't steal from people that are below a skill level to us? I saw someone else steal from him and that someone else was only a good 10-20 ranks less stealing from me

~Rafland
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 09:53 AM CST
They probably got that person below the couple silver limit where I was told to put the stealing protection in.

-Z
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 10:20 AM CST
<<<They probably got that person below the couple silver limit where I was told to put the stealing protection in.>>>

so is this couple of silver only what is on them or is the bank included also??

-Miir
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 10:29 AM CST
Ah, sounds good, but will we be able to steal gems from them if they're only carrying a single copper around?

~Rafland
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 10:31 AM CST
I hate to double post too, but does shouldn't thieves be able to steal from other thieves regardless?

~Rafland
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 10:48 AM CST
Yes, if you have the skill to steal gems, you can 'steal (person) gems' no matter how many coins they have.

Coin protection for everyone was decided mostly by Solomon, Thieves included. I may see if there's something I can do so that you can have little steal parties in the den with limited coinage and stuff like that.

-Z
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 11:05 AM CST
>>so is this couple of silver only what is on them or is the bank included also??

From the posts that Z replied to in Discussions with Simu, if they get down to 3 silver, you can no longer steal coins from them. But you still have the option to

>>Steal (person) Gem

The precaution was put in to keep folks from hoarding little folks at the ferry tryin to get from one province to the next. There have been quiet a few times that us thieves have picked lint out of pockets at ferries just to be a pain in the rear end and make someone else's life miserable. There have been more than one occasion when thieves have kept pointing folks out of hiding just to steal people down to pocket lint and leave them with no ferry money. So as a precaution, it was put in that once someone gets down to 3 silver, you can no longer steal coins from them. But man that sapphire they are carrying would look good on the hilt of my next blade with an alteration.

~Dalkin~
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 11:12 AM CST
Why sweat the small stuff anyway.

~ S.S.
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 11:13 AM CST
"
You take a quick glance at Someone, briefly assessing his perception compared to your overall abilities.
Someone would cower before you, that is if he could ever see you coming.
Briefly sizing him up, you think he has a tiny bit of wealth and a few coins.
H>steal someone gems
You consider it, but Someones's meager coins just aren't worth the effort, and you're not confident enough in your skill to try for the gems.

Someone drops a copper coin.
H>mark Someone
Someone would cower before you, that is if he could ever see you coming.
Briefly sizing him up, you think he has no wealth and no coins.

H>steal Someone gem
H>
You silently work your way toward Someone.
H>
Your armor is hindering your abilities.
You don't feel comfortable enough in your skill yet for this, so you just grab for whatever you can get.
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Someone's pockets and carefully grab a large clear topaz.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
"

Steal Gems isn't working on him when he only had a single coin, would that be something to report? Also, whats this about confidence? Does that take a major factor into gem stealing?

~Rafland
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 11:44 AM CST
>You consider it, but Someones's meager coins just aren't worth the effort, and **you're not confident enough in your skill to try for the gems.**<

You silently work your way toward Someone.
H>
Your armor is hindering your abilities.
**You don't feel comfortable enough in your skill yet for this, so you just grab for whatever you can get.**
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Someone's pockets and carefully grab a large clear topaz.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

The part emphasized. If you don't have a certain level of skill you cannot actually choose coins or gems, and it will random between them to see what you try to grab.

You got lucky when he had nothing and you tried for gems.

-Z
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 12:04 PM CST
Ah, good to know.

~Rafland
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 12:14 PM CST
What if a mark was waiting for the ferry and had only one platinum coin? Is it stealable? Would the stealing attempt 'leave change' leaving the character with the protected two or three silver? :)
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 12:19 PM CST
>What if a mark was waiting for the ferry and had only one platinum coin? Is it stealable? Would the stealing attempt 'leave change' leaving the character with the protected two or three silver? :)<

Yes, it's stealable. No, it wouldn't leave change. If you're carrying around a single plat you deserve what you got. We're worried more about people who don't know much about what they're doing or are just legitimately trying to get by with ferry fare.

-Z
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 01:19 PM CST
Gavyn catches you trying to go for his pockets!
Your hiding place is revealed!
Gavyn stops you from following his due to your attempted theft!
You cautiously attempt to lift a few coins from Gavyn, but at the last moment he turns away and the attempt fails.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Typo, should be him, due to your...

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: Expanded coin protection? 01/28/2007 01:22 PM CST
Hrm...can you be caught but remain in hiding on a successful hide check?

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)