guilded 07/09/2002 10:11 AM CDT
If a person of the thief guild steals from me outside of the guild. What can I do?
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 11:13 AM CDT
did ya catch em, if so, steal back....if not, how do ya know he was guilded, did he brag? if so ye have consent, den kill em....
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 11:32 AM CDT
Think Ellyendil got it right with the first part of his post... Your a thief, he/she is your bretheren. Just steal back :p

Its part of the challenge, arent many thieves who havent played pass the gem at some time or other to see who comes out on top.

-Paleth
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 11:57 AM CDT
I know he was guilded, cause I looked at him after he did it, and it said he was a fellow thief... so I do have consent if someone does this? I wanna make sure before I kill em.
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 11:59 AM CDT
It's just like anything else. You can accuse, attack, or steal back. Of course, I'm not sure, but accusing your fellow thief may have implications on your bonus.

a little known thief
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 12:03 PM CDT
I'm not going to accuse, because if a thief ever accused me, I'd kill him for it. That isn't right.
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 12:47 PM CDT
Well if you are young there is not much you can do, you can not steal it back because they more than likely have more ranks than you and if you try to steal it back you may get a snert and they will kill you. You can not fight them if the are older than you (just plain dumb) so the last thing is accuse. Course you get a bonus hit and so do they, but if you get them at the right time they lose those few copper they have stolen off of you or take about 10 minutes out to sit at the stocks getting thrown at with rotten tomatos. Course I have done that a couple times, and both times was when I was learning from the beggar and an elder thief was cleaning me out when I was on my back not only could I get up and move out of the way but it was repeated. Figured well if they want the bronze and coppers then they can have the gold fine for felony stealing, time in the stocks and a bonus hit.

Cefwen Rolyry
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 01:02 PM CDT
I may be young, under 10th circle, but he is no higher. When I mark him, it says he's fairly easy. So he's my circle or close to it.
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 01:05 PM CDT
<<I know he was guilded, cause I looked at him after he did it, and it said he was a fellow thief... so I do have consent if someone does this? I wanna make sure before I kill em.>>

You have consent if you caught him in yer pockets......and if you caught him in yer pockets, you prolly can steal from him too....or you can ask him for yer coin back in an IG/RP kind of way....."Nice grab, can I have my coins back now? Ya need ta practice on those that arent yer bretheren."....if that dont work, you still have concent, again if you caught him in yer pockets...if you lost coin and he was standing next to you, it dont mean he was da one dat got yer coin....

Ellyendil (who thinks killing someone over a few copper and bronze is silly, now if yer carrying gold or plats and lose em.....yer an idiot)
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 01:08 PM CDT
Yer bretheren for gods sake, knock off talk of killing and reporting. If I catch one of my bretheren in my pockets, I will probably do the same back but nothing more.

Sometimes we even steal against our better judgment just because its in our nature... aint that right Terc? <snicker>

-Paleth
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 01:11 PM CDT
personally da only reason I would go in a bretheren's pockets is if they marked exceptionally difficult...even if they had empty pockets...prolly the only time I would learn stealing from another player..and if I got anything would rp handin it back and chortle on the way out of the room if I knew they were higher dan me....course I rp as someone who is real happy with himself when he succeeds where he thought he would fail, and sees failure as a normal thing when stealing.....::chuckle::

Ellyendil
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 04:35 PM CDT
Yer bretheren for gods sake, knock off talk of killing and reporting. If I catch one of my bretheren in my pockets, I will probably do the same back but nothing more.
Sometimes we even steal against our better judgment just because its in our nature... aint that right Terc? <snicker>
-Paleth

I totally agree with paleth. Its in our nature to steal.
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 05:20 PM CDT
<<You can not fight them if the are older than you (just plain dumb

I disagree.

-Ipkin
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 06:55 PM CDT
>>Yer bretheren for gods sake, knock off talk of killing and reporting. If I catch one of my bretheren in my pockets, I will probably do the same back but nothing more. Sometimes we even steal against our better judgment just because its in our nature... aint that right Terc? <snicker>

I disagree with Paleth and Schvartz... if we're anywhere other than the guild and you know I'm a Thief and we're not really good friends, stay out of my pockets. Usually all I do is rob back as well and tell them not to do it again, if they do continue then they can plan on meeting Urrem'tier real soon. If I see a Thief stealing from another Thief with anything other than good intentions then their in it deep.

Kraelyst the Hand
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:01 PM CDT
Kraelyst and I see eye to eye on this one. As I've stated before...if a Thief that I know and am friends with steals from me I consider it the same as a handshake.

But if I don't know the person or worse...I don't like the person. They take their risk stealing from me just as they would anyone else. Cause if they're not a friend that only means one thing...they want to show me up by proving they can steal from me or they want my coins/gems. I personally don't like either one of those scenarios. If the person wants to prove they're better then me by stealing then I'll prove I'm better then them by killing them. And as far as my coins and gems go... I don't like anyone trying to take what's mine for themselves.

~Bris~
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:01 PM CDT
<<If I see a Thief stealing from another Thief with anything other than good intentions then their in it deep.>>

Kraelyst, I admire ye brother, and look up to ye...as I do most elders, but ye got me confused on this one.....how can ye steal with other than good intentions, I mean really, lining me pockets with coin is intended to be good for me. :P

Ok, now to be serious, what do you consider to be "good intentions" cause to me, from the victim point of view, there are no good intentions....

Ellyendil
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:20 PM CDT
>>Ok, now to be serious, what do you consider to be "good intentions" cause to me, from the victim point of view, there are no good intentions....

Thats just it.

Good intentions is if the person isnt really a victim, but instead its just a unique way to say hello.

Its sorta like if someone punches your arm hello, in a manly man sorta way. He ain't trying to harm ya, its just some weird testosterone thing. Now, if he really punched ya, its different.
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:26 PM CDT
>>Ok, now to be serious, what do you consider to be "good intentions"

Same as Brisbois said, it's bad intentions if you're trying to take my coins or gems or if you're trying to show me up or belittle me. It's disrespectful. If you're a good friend and you're just doing it to be goofy, that's okay.

Kraelyst the Hand
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:31 PM CDT
If I'm not in the Den, and you don't know me really well or you're somebody I respect, you better not be attempting stealing from me, even if you're a Thief. If I don't have much money on me, I'll probably shrug it off and just steal back. If I'm carrying golds or plats.. (like when stupid thieves go invisible in the gem shop so they can avoid my search and disband), I will kill somebody I catch if I see them again, especially if I know they knew I had money.

Just because you're a Thief, doesn't mean your my "Brother" (or Sister) or my brethren. That you can tell Kalag you want in means nothing to me. If you've earned respect by your deeds, then I wouldn't do anything anyway.

Toren Sunreign-Jade-Stone, S'kra Gopher
Re: guilded 07/09/2002 07:38 PM CDT
ok, I got that if it was someone in yer pockets...but you had said if ye caught a thief in another thief's pockets...how would ye tell? ah never mind, jes tired....
Re: guilded 07/10/2002 02:26 AM CDT
I'm on the side of feel free to kill/accuse/steal. The guild haven itself is a training room, anywhere else they're taking their chances.

It's just like the times I'd jokingly sneak up on friends and take a shot at tackling them. They knew it was just playfulness so it wasn't a big deal. If I tackle a stranger, however, they have the right to cut me to pieces for it (or at least try).
Re: guilded 07/10/2002 04:18 AM CDT
I'm going with Bris and Kyaelyst on this. Unless I know you don't be stealing from me outside the guild. And you can't say you don't know I am a thief since I never hide my guild title from you guys. If I catch you and I don't know you and then you ignore me when I catch you. Be prepared to be on the wanted list. A little bonus hit is not a big worry for me.

Venshen

PS I always accuse none thieves to Kalag just for the fun of it.
Re: guilded 07/10/2002 07:47 AM CDT
When I was just a l'il thief, (around 5th circle or so) I caught another guildmember stealing from me in town, at the time I kinda nudged him and said 'save that for the haven, plenty of others to steal from around here without digging in another thieves pockets'.
He pretty much sneered at me, and said he'd steal from whoever he liked whenever and wherever he damn well liked, then proceeded to stalk me for the next 15 minutes or so to make sure he got every last copper I had, all this time whispering to me from hiding crap like 'yer a pretty useless thief if yer this easy to steal from' and similar insults.
At the time I was pretty upset, wondering if he was right, if I was a useless thief...then I got over that and just got pissed off.
He was several circles above me, I found out from discreetly asking around, so I wasnt about to confront him. So I did nothing...but waited.

Now, 20 or so circles down the track, I've come across this same thief several times in my travels throughout the lands, he doesnt remember me for a moment. Why would he? I was just a young thief he saw as a target he could bully.
Anyway, from the last 4 or 5 times I've crossed paths with him, I've managed to get back the 100 or so coppers he stole from me that day, plus another 3 or 4 gold in total, which I consider to be just a start on payment for making a young and inexperienced thief doubt herself that day.

Not exactly a quick solution to the situation, but it feels good every time I see him and relieve him of every last copper he carries.

Teille ~ revenge can be subtle and sweet.
Re: guilded 07/10/2002 06:17 PM CDT
very good Teille.

"women don't forget. they get even"

:-)
Re: guilded 07/28/2002 09:00 AM CDT
On this subject I have to agree with Kraelyst wholeheartedly that the guild haven is the proper place for stealing from each other. The fact that 9 times out of 10 there is maybe 1 person there when I go in is another thing but I digress... I know not many people abide by (or even know) the old code whereby you didn't steal from a fellow thief outside the haven, and you certainly don't accuse them or attack them, but I for one don't steal from guilded thieves outside the confines of the guild. I admit I did it once when I was young and rash but I gave it all back and more and felt bad afterwards, but I cannot count the number of times I glance down and see a guilded thief in my pockets when I am walking around town. Most times they just grin cheekily and I give them a clip around the ear and point out the passing trader as a better mark, but I have had to fire a warning shot at someone for grabbing loot from my hunting area which is a big no-no for anyone and especially a thief. I also caught a thief who I could tell was higher circle than me stealing from me and a few friends who were popping boxes just outside town which I found just plain rude. I will mention no names but as Schvartz said 'women don't forget..'
I also greet some of my friends (thieves and non thieves) by making a quick grab and handing them the coin back with a wink... like you say, a friendly greeting and not malicious, but to maliciously try to deprive a fellow thief of coins is disrespectful to the thief and to the guild, and although I personally wouldn't turn you in, if someone else takes a pot shot at you when they catch you don't run crying to Kalag :)

Synyster Shadowmaiden
Re: guilded 02/14/2005 02:29 AM CST
that's assuming you have the 150+ appraisal you need for a reliable mark