Prev_page Previous 1
What to do when caught... 04/23/2009 10:58 PM CDT
Just wondering what RP choices people play out when they get caught stealing.....

I obviously will do some of my own but I would like some ideas even if you never done them yourself.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: What to do when caught... 04/24/2009 02:17 AM CDT
My little thief used to only steal from men and if caught she'd flirt with them and flatter them so outrageously that some would go get more coins for her to practice on. Fun RP for me back then.

===
There are those that invest large amounts of time into bragging about what they do. Then there are those that use that time to do more.
Re: What to do when caught... 04/24/2009 10:12 AM CDT
Steal with the Inspector title up and when caught tell them you're working for the province in tracking down some counterfeit coins, tell them you'll go ahead and take care of the counterfeits they had on them but to be careful in the future to avoid unfortunate consequences.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Re: What to do when caught... 04/24/2009 10:24 AM CDT
>Steal with the Inspector title up and when caught tell them you're working for the province in tracking down some counterfeit coins, tell them you'll go ahead and take care of the counterfeits they had on them but to be careful in the future to avoid unfortunate consequences.

lol, i'd give you a few coins just for that, love rp stuff (::gives you a skeptical look but hands over his coins::)

--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: What to do when caught... 04/24/2009 10:32 AM CDT
one particular time i had an embroidery needle and some of the thread from the tannery shop.... so i immediately got both of those out after getting caught, and proceded to give the person a whole song and dance about how their pants had holes in them, and i was just picking up what fell out of them, and I even offered to sew them up so that it wouldn't happen again!

unfortunately there's no "tailor" title.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: What to do when caught... 04/26/2009 09:16 AM CDT
>>Just wondering what RP choices people play out when they get caught stealing.....

I usually like to have a few stories ready and play out whatever feels right at the time. I rarely get caught by my marks--more often it's a bystander that sees. Here are a few story seeds I use:

"Oh, goodness, from behind he looked like my cousin. We always play little tricks on each other."

"I have it on good authority you don't tithe nearly enough." (my thief pretends to be a Cleric)

"Sorry, I tripped."

"Did you see that guy? He was stealing from you! Don't worry--I'll catch him!" [run away]

~player of Gulphphunger and a thief
Re: What to do when caught... 04/27/2009 07:46 AM CDT
I've done the whole, "Who? That guy? Oh he went that way...<point in any direction>"

So you guys got any serious or funny comebacks for when you get the stern look and verbal warning like,

"Stay out of my pockets."

Or, the stupid one....and I hate these because they don't make sense in most situations.

"You're just trying to be a jerk?" Or "You're just trying to start trouble" Or "You're just trying to pick a fight"

NO, NO, I was trying to steal your coin without getting caught...duh!

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: What to do when caught... 04/27/2009 09:41 AM CDT
wish I could help that out.. but I don't get caught often enough.. and when I am caught, I'm pretty sure the person is not there.. or just not paying close enough attention.

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: What to do when caught... 04/27/2009 04:44 PM CDT
"You're just trying to start trouble". "How am I doing so far, Cap'n Obvious?" :continues to steal:

"You just trying to be a jerk?" :blushes: "No, I'm suffering from condition that makes it seem like I am."
"well, would you mind giving it back?" "Sorry, my condition, you know."

"What are you doing in my pockets?" "My hands were cold."

Sometimes I just love to get into trouble and be obvious about it, so even if I get away with the snatch or not I'll just randomly shout stuff like "OMG, WHY THE HECK DO YOU HAVE A PICKLE IN YOUR POCKET?!" This one's really fun, and I was really surprised I pulled off the stunt that first time.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 10:31 AM CDT
>wish I could help that out.. but I don't get caught often enough.. and when I am caught, I'm pretty sure the person is not there.. or just not paying close enough attention.

Sothios is scary. I got stuck on the gondola with him and I was totally freaking out. Carrying 15 plats and <200 perception, it was like one of those scenes in murder movies when the bad guy walks into the room and you try to stay super-duper still, hoping he doesn't see you under the blanket.

Luckily he didn't search, and I managed to get away with all my limbs and moneys. It was a beautiful moment.

"You can't be a god unless you smite someone; it's in the rules." - Armifer
Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 10:33 AM CDT
considering you can't steal on the gondola.... heh.

Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 11:33 AM CDT
>considering you can't steal on the gondola.... heh.

Totally did not know that. Well... thank you for robbing me of a beautiful escape story that was gonna stay in the family for generations to come :-/

Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 01:04 PM CDT
yeah, the gondola became nonsteal a very long time ago-- not from the actions of those of our nefarious profession, but from those pesky finger-wagglin moonmages. How utterly demeaning.

Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 02:31 PM CDT
And the docks too? YOu know to keep my eyes open for any Moonies.

Escaped from Dirge Assylum
Re: What to do when caught... 04/30/2009 08:54 PM CDT
heh heh.. well.. if you saw me on the gondola, chances are I wasn't out to get you.. But I'll make a point to go for ya next time.. umm.. what was your name again?
oh, and I don't have to search for ya to find ya in most cases. (Aleyden is beast)

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: What to do when caught... 05/02/2009 09:00 PM CDT
>heh heh.. well.. if you saw me on the gondola, chances are I wasn't out to get you.. But I'll make a point to go for ya next time.. umm.. what was your name again?

I've always been taught that names are expensive. In this case it sounds like it could cost me my life. So I think I am just going to stick with the exhilarating horrors of spectating boogeymen like you :-P

Re: What to do when caught... 05/03/2009 06:57 PM CDT
Always keep secret your true name. =P

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: What to do when caught... 05/24/2009 08:11 PM CDT
Don't get caught?

I loved reading this thread though! Awesome ideas. Lots of fun. Almost worth getting caught.

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
Re: What to do when caught... 06/19/2009 08:09 AM CDT
wow, well, I usually mark my target before stealing, I'm very careful on NOT getting caught. Because, getting caught is first of all, not careful stealing, and second of all, suckage, especially if you steal from a barbarian, or a war-mage. Which is why I mainly steal off of traders, they got all the mula anyways, why not?
Re: What to do when caught... 06/22/2009 08:57 PM CDT
Nah, traders aren't it anymore since half of them are AFK anyways (and stealing from them counts as interference). Steal from the noobs, they at least have the sense to hang out with someone who has a chance to actually see you pick their pockets and so it's not really "novice abuse" now that anyone can champion for anyone else regarding PVP stealing.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 10:48 AM CDT
How does stealing from a trader (whether AFK or not) count as interference????????????

Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 11:01 AM CDT
i would imagine only if you've reported said trader for afk. so wait until AFTER you loot their pockets to report, if you feel you gotta report. heh.

Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 12:59 PM CDT
Report: So I was cleaning out this trader's pockets when I failed and it seems they're AFK... whoopsies?
Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 03:58 PM CDT
>>How does stealing from a trader (whether AFK or not) count as interference????????????

Anything that causes a script to break is considered as interference with an unresponsive experience-gaining player. By extension, those same actions when properly handled by said script would still count against you if a GM happened to see you doing them.

It doesn't matter if you reported or not, if someone else did you'll be the one getting in trouble.

Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 04:10 PM CDT
But.. if you have no idea they're AFK, and you steal from them and their script breaks, it's not like you had prior knowledge. You weren't intentionally interfering with an AFK scripter (which is what I thought the GM warnings stemmed from).

I could see if you followed them around for 15 minutes continually stealing if you realize they're AFK, but one or two steals I certainly hope would not warrant a warning.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/23/2009 04:20 PM CDT
It's J'lo

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: What to do when caught... 06/24/2009 11:13 AM CDT
most of the time stealing from 'em is not gonna break their script, so it wouldn't count as interference.

one of the only thing that possibly could you can't do anymore, but it was done way back when scripting was legal.

After shard opened and many, many traders used to trade down there <there were only the 3 outposts then> including shapeshifter et al, there used to be the door to the traders guild that you could open and close. And by closing the door, they would all be lined up all purty and ready to be plucked right there on the street in the city. I think it was Lilheart that showed me that little trick.

Also "mugging" em would count as interference with a script <the ambush clout, ret, ret, steal person thing. that I wouldn't recommend using.

Re: What to do when caught... 06/24/2009 03:11 PM CDT
>J'Lo

I would LOVE for you to supply a log where stealing from a trader breaks their script. Really! I really want YOU to provide that log. Provide it from both views as well. And make it a legitimate script at that.

Until then, you need to add: This poster might be talking out of her rear-end. to your disclaimer too.

Re: What to do when caught... 06/24/2009 03:47 PM CDT
<<Anything that causes a script to break is considered as interference with an unresponsive experience-gaining player. By extension, those same actions when properly handled by said script would still count against you if a GM happened to see you doing them. It doesn't matter if you reported or not, if someone else did you'll be the one getting in trouble.>>

If I stole from a player, and a GM suddenly dropped out of the sky saying I was being giving a warning for interference, I would be so astonished I probably wouldn't know what to say. It would be as though they were making immunity from pickpocketing some sort of AFK scripting perk, which I know is not the purpose of the no-interference policy. That would really be an amazing new twist on the old "perverting the spirit of the law by adhering to the letter" concept.

I have trouble believing a GM would enforce that interpretation. Pickpocketing is legal. Slipping someone a rock to stop their juggling or dragging a forager into the next room if they bother us too much isn't. Would be interesting if a GM could weigh in here on this question, seeing as this scenario isn't just some crazy idea but something that could easily occur in game (and probably has many times)

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
A heavy crossbow is a heavy crossbow type weapon.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/25/2009 12:04 AM CDT
Stealing from a random trader walking by, whom you've never interacted with before, is not going to get you a warning. You don't have to be a GM to figure that out.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/27/2009 10:59 PM CDT
>>I would LOVE for you to supply a log where stealing from a trader breaks their script. Really! I really want YOU to provide that log. Provide it from both views as well. And make it a legitimate script at that.

Way back, and talking around 1998 there were thieves that would drag someone one room so that it would break their script. It really was done and considered abuse. Of course back then if your trading script did anything more than let you travel between outposts it was considered abuse. Things such as the script handing in contracts were a violation. GMs back then use to do invasions of Cyclops to take care of scripting traders too.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/28/2009 12:10 AM CDT
Did I say anything about dragging? No... I said STEALING. READ! GIVE A LOG (NOT SOME ANECTDOTE) HAVING SOMEONE STEAL FROM A TRADER AND BREAK THEIR SCRIPT. NOT Drag them over the place. NOT Ambush Clout them to knock them out. NOT Anything else but STEAL.

Re: What to do when caught... 06/28/2009 01:59 AM CDT
<<Did I say anything about dragging? No... I said STEALING. READ! GIVE A LOG (NOT SOME ANECTDOTE) HAVING SOMEONE STEAL FROM A TRADER AND BREAK THEIR SCRIPT. NOT Drag them over the place. NOT Ambush Clout them to knock them out. NOT Anything else but STEAL.

You really need to relax

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: What to do when caught... 06/28/2009 03:35 AM CDT
To be fair, I did break a friend's script by stealing from his trader and getting caught sometime last year, but I don't have a log.

I was pretty shocked it broke his script though. I knew he'd see me, but if I had known it would break it I wouldn't have done it. He IMed me asking what I did, I don't remember exactly what was said but I probably told him to write better scripts.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/28/2009 12:54 PM CDT
>>NOT Ambush Clout them to knock them out

Unconscious, prone traders still follow their caravans.

-- Player of Lorz
Re: What to do when caught... 06/28/2009 10:27 PM CDT
>>I would LOVE for you to supply a log where stealing from a trader breaks their script. Really! I really want YOU to provide that log. Provide it from both views as well. And make it a legitimate script at that.

I know for a fact that some traders' scripts are broken when they catch a thief. Catching someone in their pockets causes their script to think the caravan has caught up and so they move one more room, but the caravan hasn't actually arrived, so the script hangs.
Re: What to do when caught... 06/29/2009 08:37 PM CDT
>I know for a fact that some traders' scripts are broken when they catch a thief. Catching someone in their pockets causes their script to think the caravan has caught up and so they move one more room, but the caravan hasn't actually arrived, so the script hangs.

It's one thing to type out "say , following you." On the other hand, a player isn't responsible for someone running an absolutely terrible script.
Re: What to do when caught... 07/01/2009 03:51 PM CDT
Pretty sure the GMs won't buy the argument that interference is dependant on how well the AFK scripter's scripts are. They may give you a push for an occasional pass, but if you're sticking with the person for more than a few grabs there's little chance of you somehow remaining ignorant of the victim's perceived AFK status.

Re: What to do when caught... 07/01/2009 04:04 PM CDT
>>They may give you a push for an occasional pass, but if you're sticking with the person for more than a few grabs there's little chance of you somehow remaining ignorant of the victim's perceived AFK status.

um, not if their perception is bad or if they just don't care to respond because they know they can't do much and running to a guard house off a trail is not worth the time it takes

stop j'loing up the thread

~Arwinia

Re: What to do when caught... 07/01/2009 04:07 PM CDT
<3 the term "J'Loing up the thread"
Prev_page Previous 1