Roleplaying 06/01/2003 01:54 PM CDT
You know... roleplaying as another guild isn't as hard as most of you think. I pretend to be a Moon Mage, and I rather good at it. Why am I good? I do research. I know what some of the things they 'do' and how to impersonate them. Just remember these things which has helped me out a lot...

1: Don't BRAG about being in the guild your not. It arises supision
2: Remember, you don't have to prove anything. If someone wants to cast CV just to prove your a Moon Mage or whatever, you don't HAVE to do it, or give a supereme excuse. Just say something like, 'I don't have time, I'm busy training my skills', or 'leave me alone and quit bugging me'.
3: The more you try to convince someone being in the guild, the more they will get supisious. In other words... Just act normal. If your acting like a Moon Mage, perhapes GESTURE every once in a while, OBS SKY. But don't do those things if someone is supisious.
4: If your impersonating a Magic guild, it doesn't mean you have to act like your training Magic. Perhapes your bored with it? Or trying to catch up with the new req's.

I'm sure there's a lot more I can list, but what this all mainly says, is just 'fit in'. Perhapes teach a class, like around the Moonie guild teach scholarship, mech lore, Barbarians, teach weapons and such, and hang out around the places where they generally hang out.

Also, it really helps if you used to be part of the guild, or have another character in it. If you don't, you can always hang out in hiding or just hang out in the room and observe the people who are in the guild.

Hope all this makes since... I'm a bit tired now. hehe.

Zulkirs-
Re: Roleplaying 06/01/2003 06:19 PM CDT
If you're a Moon Mage, reading up on the guild and learning about the different sects (and maybe even choosing a sect to belong to) would help too.

~Fillia, Master of the Cupcake

"Dumb like a moose, Dib, dumb like a moose"
Re: Roleplaying 06/03/2003 11:11 AM CDT
I'd just like to add that I've seen a few really good impersonators. I had talk with a 'ranger' (granted, not the hardest guild to immitate) a little while back. I never would have known him for an imposter if not for one little issue. I was teaching him evasion, but he was talking about pick adan'f boxes. I like to think I have pretty good disarm/lockpicking for my level, but adan'f are way out of my range yet. Now, there could be rangers out there with the skill to pick adan'f boxes, but can't hunt them (way below them), but my guess is they're rare if at all. Had I not been teaching him evasion, never would have aroused my suspicion. Wish I could remember his name (not that I'd post it ;), but kudos to him.

I've seen another play an empath... actually healed some people.. albeit with herbs, and using touches. Said he was too banged up (which he was) to heal by taking wounds. Would have probably fooled many younger players, and some older.

~Tanshar
Re: Roleplaying 06/03/2003 12:11 PM CDT
>>You know... roleplaying as another guild isn't as hard as most of you think. I pretend to be a Moon Mage, and I rather good at it. Why am I good? I do research. I know what some of the things they 'do' and how to impersonate them.

My thief is good at his pretend guild because I have a character in that guild with a nearly identical name that looks and dresses exactly the same. The "good" twin gets most of the exposure and everyone likes him.. no one to date has realized (or at least called me out) that sometimes they aren't talking to who they think they are ;)

~Just one bad seed using his brother's reputation for profit.
Re: Roleplaying 06/03/2003 05:59 PM CDT
>>The "good" twin gets most of the exposure and everyone likes him.. no one to date has realized (or at least called me out) that sometimes they aren't talking to who they think they are ;)

You'll end up getting caught through OOC accident.

Someone will sooner or later highlight your name because they're your friend or whatever.

The 'close but not quite' name you use at times won't end up highlighted.

I love the trick you're doing, though. That's just how you might end up getting outed.
Re: Roleplaying 06/04/2003 10:23 AM CDT
>>Someone will sooner or later highlight your name because they're your friend or whatever... That's just how you might end up getting outed.

Yeah, not much I can do about that, I just try to keep "evil" brother's exposure to "good" brother's associates (especially close friends) to a minimum. It'll happen sooner or later, but if I'm not flagrant about it I can keep the damage contained. I expect some people to figure it out, but the contingency is planned for (I've got their history and relationship developed) and as long as it's not common knowledge there'll always be another mark.

~the twins
Re: Roleplaying 06/04/2003 06:27 PM CDT
Some people will also just assume that you're the same person with two different characters...

Nice work, though...

One important thing to do is be sure you train skills specific to that guild as much as you can (like music theory (lore) for bards, HP for paladins...) And never teach PM :)

The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
Re: Roleplaying 06/04/2003 09:35 PM CDT
>1: Don't BRAG about being in the guild your not. It arises supision

Well, heh, I think that depends on if you're a bard or not, too. I mean, bards can be incredibly flambouyant, and that's how I've opted to roleplay from the beginning - almost to an obnoxious (but loveable) extent. I often do things like brag about myself, crack jokes about my drinking habits, or set my lyre (son) down and let him run around and play, while having long-drawn conversations with him (gotta love that shared ability).

To say the least, these things bring attention to me, and most experienced players can see soon enough that I'm not a bard (especially if they see me hunting), but I'm more concerned with convincing the characters, not the players. And more important still, I'm concerned with having a good time and helping everyone else to. :)

But if yer bag is convincing both players and characters, then you're right on, and I agree completely! (just don't post your name :P).

>And never teach PM :)

Unless you're gonif ;) <praise>

Gybrush, bardic S'kra
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 03:55 AM CDT
we're not ABLE to teach PM,TM,Harness or Power perception any longer.

So, teach devices...<hum>

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 05:54 AM CDT
If you truly want to disguise yourself, never hang around in thief-only locations, and hide your "real" title from any thieves that you happen to associate with... you never know when you're gonna try and fake out someone who also plays a thief. That also means running to remote guildleaders to circle, the risk of being spotted while talking to Kalag is too great. A disguise is most effective if the only person that knows you're a thief is you.

The single biggest mistake most criminals make is not being able to keep their fool mouths shut <g>. It's human nature to feel the need to tell somebody, and it takes a lot of discipline to keep your secrets.

They may be family, but I don't trust 'em.

~Me

P.S. Backstab messaging needs to be addressed too.. the only time someone should be able to distinguish between a backstab and an ambush is when it happens to them, or if they have some backstab skill and would be familiar with the technique. It's a required skill that forces us to "out" ourselves while training, and I think that's wrong :)
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 01:20 PM CDT
>P.S. Backstab messaging needs to be addressed too.. the only time someone should be able to distinguish between a backstab and an ambush is when it happens to them, or if they have some backstab skill and would be familiar with the technique. It's a required skill that forces us to "out" ourselves while training, and I think that's wrong :)

I second this.

~Nakeeta
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 06:45 PM CDT
>>It's a required skill

BZZT!

Unless something has changed AGAIN, it's not a required skill. And you can train it by ambushing. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Subai

-Those who live by the sword will be shot by those who don't.

-When all you have is a hammer, all of your problems begin to look like nails.
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 07:25 PM CDT
its only "not required" if you substitute climbing or escaping.

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Roleplaying 06/05/2003 11:55 PM CDT
>>Unless something has changed AGAIN, it's not a required skill.

Funny thing is, when I created the other character to bolster my eventual disguise, I found I really enjoyed playing that guild.. between him and Kyrrian and the others, my theef doesn't get a whole lot of time. Consequently I haven't paid much attention to the new reqs, I was just remembering a specific backstab requirement.

>>And you can train it by ambushing. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Wasn't aware of that either, thanks. I still think backstabs shouldn't be obvious to the uninitiated though.

I created my thief with the intention that he'd take anything that wasn't nailed down and if it was he'd take the nails too (he'd even chop out the nail holes, just for kicks.) Poured nearly all my starting TDPs and a good chunk of the ones that came after into agility to better get away with it and reflect the conditioning of his relentless habit. Stealing is his thing, his passion in life, and I only train other stuff when I get an urge to work toward my disguise or other interesting guild stuff (which isn't too often.)

If I had it my way I'd never do anything else.

Circle: 9
Stealing: 68 17.77%

~Just another klepto.
Roleplaying the true thief 08/02/2006 12:32 PM CDT
From what little I've been able to pick up in the Crossing, it seems that the guild is divided into two factions:

Faction the first:

"Thieves are thugs, and proper roleplay involves wiping folk out and taking things from their graves so as to 'foster respect for the guild'."

Faction the second:

"The guild is a secret, our purpose is to gently divert attention from it, lull the populace ever more thoroughly into a disbelief in it's existence; skilled thieves get the coin and are gone with their victims being none the wiser."

I'm SURE there are more opinions than that, but I can't really seem to get folk to talk about more than slight variations on the aforementioned.

I'd like very much to hear what you all think of when you think of thieves, and how your IG roleplay aligns with that, if at all.
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/02/2006 01:34 PM CDT
My thief character does not consider himself a thief exactly. He's never used stealing on citizens roaming the lands, and only learns it in the guild when he has to advance.(Reminds me he needs to go turn himself in down in Shard so he's not wanted down there still from the quest he had to do to get into the Shard guild) He does not talk about the guild in public and if asked says it's a rumor that should a place/guild exists and that he tends to doubt that it does exist.

He considers himself a part time locksmith, and full time gentleman explorer/adventurer. What the guild is or isn't and what a true thief is or isn't really is subject to debate in my book. The professions are guidelines for we the player to pick from in order to have a foundation for our characters to build upon in the game. Some take it one way, others another, but most options and paths are just viable as any other.

Jim

"And it's a fair wind
Blowin' warm out of the south over my shoulder
Guess I'll set a course and go..."
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/02/2006 02:12 PM CDT
I play my thief similarly to the way Jim described above.

My thief views the guild as a loose association of opportunity-seekers. He'll occasionally pick the pocket of a passing straggler, assuming he deems it safe to do so. He feels he's above common thuggery, as anyone can do that. Using our unique skills, talents, and smarts to come out ahead, though, is perfectly fine. As such, he enjoys disarming, harvesting, and picking boxes.

He tries not to ruffle too many feathers or associate too closely with anyone; the former for obvious reasons and the latter so as to put distance between himself and his schemes (or others') should something go wrong. Generally polite and cheery, he constantly watches people and listens for any advantage he might be able to exploit.

~player of W
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/02/2006 06:09 PM CDT
"Thief" is built on four basic pillars:

1)stealth -- you can't catch me if you can't see me.

2)information. While we do a lot of business with secrets, we'd be some pretty sorry thieves if we didn't keep up on events happening around us that happen out in the open.

3)acquisition. you have something we want, need, deserve. We try to get it.

4)intimidation. when you're scared, our job becomes a whole lot easier.

How you apply this to your character depends on the task(s) you perform. A counterfeiter doesn't at all need to know anything about intimidation, yet his whole world could crash around him due to one little mistake.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/02/2006 06:12 PM CDT
Mine views the guild as nothing more than a collection of individuals with a common interest. With a very specific in-character goal and loyalty that's a tad guarded in purpose, and a guild policy that states, essentially, "do what thou wilt, just don't draw attention to us," it's a nice fit. And just as the purpose is hidden, so is the membership in the guild.

The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/03/2006 12:59 AM CDT
>From what little I've been able to pick up in the Crossing, it seems that the guild is divided into two factions:

You oughta travel more, kiddo. With the exception of a few fixtures, the really cool Thieves live elsewhere.

>Faction the first:

"Thieves are thugs, and proper roleplay involves wiping folk out and taking things from their graves so as to 'foster respect for the guild'."

Careful. Graverobbery is a fun hobby -- I should know -- but if you pick the wrong target you might find yourself dead and out of favours faster than you can munch a cookie. Also, cough ever since that event back in 200?, the guild as such no longer exists, and so much as mentioning the name of The Black in the wrong company can get you killed.

There's a lot more to being a Thief than being a graverobbing punk, and thank Damaris for it.

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

>Nickels says, "They're hiding. They're in their magical boxes."
>Ainandil cackles!
>Gridaksma says, "Can't explain, won't apologize."
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/03/2006 11:27 AM CDT
<<Also, cough ever since that event back in 200?, the guild as such no longer exists, and so much as mentioning the name of The Black in the wrong company can get you killed.>>

I don't believe that's quite accurate. IIRC, right around a year ago certain parties (not just players) took to the streets making it quite known that the thieve's guild was very much alive and well.
Re: Roleplaying the true thief 08/03/2006 12:00 PM CDT
>>I don't believe that's quite accurate. IIRC, right around a year ago certain parties (not just players) took to the streets making it quite known that the thieve's guild was very much alive and well. <<

The event in question was just put in to make wearing titles no longer thuggable. Because like a few days later, skill based titles came out, and they couldn't let nonThieves go around getting thugged. Then 98% of the Thief titles were opened up to the nonguilded. I don't think it was an event to say that the Thief guild is alive and well.

-Wighten