Con-artist 10/11/2002 06:18 PM CDT
Would it be considered out of character and unthiefly to con people? Could I try to pass off selling a new traveler's pack as an old one? If i can establish ethos and repoire with someone and sell them on something other then what it is, would i be stepping outside the rules of the guild?

Let me know what you think...

Caveat Emptor!
Re: Con-artist 10/11/2002 07:11 PM CDT
Bah, being a con-artist is amazing.

I remember a few months ago someone on the gweth selling a belt that makes you invisible when you're flying. People STILL wanted to see it work and be willing to buy it :)
Re: Con-artist 10/11/2002 10:00 PM CDT
Con 'em in IC ways...Selling a "new" version of something as an old one isn't really that IC. If you wanna REALY scam 'em and trick 'em,then go fer it. But what yer example was is just a mechanics wist, which is pretty pathetic.
Re: Con-artist 10/12/2002 12:31 PM CDT
You're in the wrong guild for what you want. The Traders have firm control over your scenario.

a little known Thief
Re: Con-artist 10/12/2002 04:09 PM CDT
>You're in the wrong guild for what you want. The Traders have firm control over your scenario.

Anyone of any guild or skill level can scam people. That's one of the reasons people will get so upset and kill people so much for it. Kinda like wanting to RP a graverobber, anyone can do it, but I wouldn't advise it unless you don't mind getting attacked all the time.

Apu
Re: Con-artist 10/12/2002 07:53 PM CDT
DO: Con them through skill, flair, and fast talking/thinking.
DON'T: Con them though a cheap mechanics issue, like old/new packs.

One of the greatest cons I still remember is when someone convinced dozens of people there was a merchant up somewhere in Theren (blood wolves if I remember right). This was back when people would actually carry large amounts of coin on them. He convinced a buncha people, told them he'd help 'em find it for a few gold, and then after they all had loads of cash on 'em, he robbed 'em all blind.

Another good one (although not exactly profittable in terms of coin), was the lavender incident that a certain someone played on all the mages when magic was turned off. You should be able to find a log of that one floating around. Its great for laughs.

Tam
Re: Con-artist 12/02/2002 11:22 AM CST
Heh, yeah and back in the day, I'd say about 2 or 3 years ago I had a 20th barb, I went up to kaerna bought one of them camoflouge cloaks from that general store, I passed it off as an authentic camo cloak, even got one guy who tried to focus it and couldn't find the spell so I told him he needed more MD, got 250 plats for that one :P 1000 altogether over the span of 3 months. That scam of course is long gone due to newbs getting excited finding out about it and making newb characters and trying to sell 10 at a time. It quickly diminished.

Nahuarra
Re: Con-artist 01/20/2003 03:32 PM CST
>>Another good one (although not exactly profittable in terms of coin), was the lavender incident that a certain someone played on all the mages when magic was turned off. You should be able to find a log of that one floating around. Its great for laughs.

>>Tam

THAT was fantastic. One of the best cons I've ever heard about or seen. That room was so stocked with lavender I'm not sure they could move around.

~Katrenos
Re: Con-artist 06/05/2003 05:38 AM CDT
I'm glad you all injoyed that grin I spent time praying in the temple.....and got no RPA award? bah! that was all RP baby! snicker

~Arkri