Re: Thieves and SIGNing 05/22/2016 07:58 PM CDT
:Unhide:

:Sign Thank you!:

:Sign The Shadows call.:

:hide:

[Yes, I know we're not in-character on the forums, but that will be all for now]

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 05/22/2016 08:13 PM CDT
Cool.

Thanks!
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 05/22/2016 11:24 PM CDT
Awesome and thanks as always Naohhi.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/20/2016 10:35 AM CDT
>Additionally, with the release of this (and Ranger signs) Thieves may find that they get "caught" signing much less often. The random for being caught was far too likely, so I made it less likely.

May I ask what exactly is it that determines when you'll be caught? I've got 270 thievery and stealth, and I'm being caught by someone with 70 perception. What other stats or things play into it, or did something kinda break?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 02:41 PM CDT
It's a RNG roll. It used to be much more likely than it is now. I'm not against looking at a skillcheck for it, but if I introduce that, it might bone noob thieves unless I combine a RNG and a skillcheck and lean it in the thief's favor, which I'm inclined to do, since with greater skill, theoretically, it makes sense for a thief to have been able to get much better at masking hand signs.

Thoughts on this topic?

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 02:45 PM CDT
>> I'm not against looking at a skillcheck for it, but if I introduce that, it might bone noob thieves unless I combine a RNG and a skillcheck

I already thought it was a skill/stat check with RNG. Seems like I have gotten caught a lot less over the years
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 02:49 PM CDT
I'd make it a straight skill/stat thing without much lean. Noob thieves should be seen a bit more than older thieves. It should encourage subtlety rather than mechanics use, to me.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 03:52 PM CDT
>>I already thought it was a skill/stat check with RNG. Seems like I have gotten caught a lot less over the years.

Luck. I think before I changed it, it was as as likely as 1/100 and I upped those odds quite a bit to make it much less common. There was a slight Perception check, but I could be mistaken on that, since it's been some time since I looked at it.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 03:53 PM CDT

> It's a RNG roll. It used to be much more likely than it is now. I'm not against looking at a skillcheck for it, but if I introduce that, it might bone noob thieves unless I combine a RNG and a skillcheck and lean it in the thief's favor, which I'm inclined to do, since with greater skill, theoretically, it makes sense for a thief to have been able to get much better at masking hand signs.

How about a second skill check if there's a higher level thief in the room? If you get caught, then they make a roll to save you.

> sign I'm a noob.
A shadowy figure steps in front of you, covering your attempt to sign. After a moment, it walks past you with a disapproving look.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 04:30 PM CDT
While that falls into line with the brethren RP, it would be too much like forcing a guild stance on someone and might out a fellow Thief against their wishes. I feel personally against this concept just on that basis, as I don't want to ever force a particular role play on someone when there's room for alternates within game lore.

That doesn't mean I'm against hearing arguments against my personal bias. :)

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 04:35 PM CDT

> While that falls into line with the brethren RP, it would be too much like forcing a guild stance on someone and might out a fellow Thief against their wishes. I feel personally against this concept just on that basis, as I don't want to ever force a particular role play on someone when there's room for alternates within game lore.

What if that was handled via the demeanor verb? It only works if you're friendly or higher towards other thieves.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 04:49 PM CDT
That has potential, and might make an actual argument for using demeanor with other guilds besides empath, but guild demeanor also relies on the profession being visible (So that it cannot be used to out people), which is a huge no-no for Thieves in general.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 05:32 PM CDT
Do we even have to have a check? The point is a secret sign language. Why does it have to be anything more? I'd just as soon see it off all together. Even someone perceptive would just see someone moving their hands. I mean, it's taught at what, like 2nd circle? I'd think it would be easier to just turn it off. I'd also like to see smirk messaging turned off for the room. I understand the need to tie it to a verb to check confidence, but letting everyone know I'm smirking to myself is kind of silly imo.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 10/31/2016 05:43 PM CDT

> > That has potential, and might make an actual argument for using demeanor with other guilds besides empath, but guild demeanor also relies on the profession being visible (So that it cannot be used to out people), which is a huge no-no for Thieves in general.

Hmm... How about this then?

> Ask Kalag about magic.

Kalag gives lecture about how mages are dumb, and you shouldn't want to be like them. Oh yeah, and maybe you should watch out for thieves being dumb and obvious like mages. Here. Do the guild a favor and use contact watch.

> Big thief uses contact watch
(Room based ability, like a Nexus or Ethereal Fissure)

> Noob signs. Someone would have caught him.
[ System checks if someone is using contact watch and the power of the watch]
[ System does voodoo to determine if the contact noticed him]

-> Noob wins roll
A shadowy figure does his thing. Whispers to the noob to be careful. The caster gets a notice that they were right to be cautious, and they get a small reputation boost (cool down on how often this can work).

-> Noob loses the second roll
Same as today.
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 11/01/2016 12:41 PM CDT
You all just gave me some good QoL ideas.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Thieves and SIGNing 11/06/2016 03:25 AM CST
I'm glad! We have such cool tools and its a shame when we can't use them because everyone has ridiculous perception. I'm also in favour of doing away with some of the perception checks and rolls for things like signing. Adding some kind of skill cap for some things might also be good. I get being caught throwing my voice if I only have 100 ranks in performance or whatever skill that might determine that, but if I reach a cap on that skill, it would be great if that meant people with 1,500 perception still couldn't determine who is playing the tricks.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!