Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/05/2013 06:58 AM CDT
Regarding Mech Lore in this post I'm referring to IT or its appropriate new skill in 3.0:

Would it be too much to have repairing lockpicks or lockpick rings train mech lore much, MUCH better than it does? Perhaps make it our (a Thief's) BEST method to train mech lore.
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/05/2013 07:22 AM CDT
Crafting will be trained by crafting. I can't imagine any situation in which they would allow you to train crafting by performing such an easy task. This is akin to asking to train forging best by repairing armor/weapons, and is all in all, a terrible idea from a balance perspective.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/05/2013 10:53 AM CDT
That being said, even carving lockpicks trains terribly. There is very little training benefit from carving lockpicks currently. Another question i just thought of though, i'm thinking about finally converting most/all of my mech, will engineering take over for mech in regards to lockpick repair success rates?
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/08/2013 05:55 PM CDT
I could easily live with the idea of lockpick CARVING being a good way for a Thief to train Mech. Either way, lockpick repair or carving, the experience learned is a joke. Take cleric bead carving for example: I wish carving picks would train THAT good.
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/08/2013 05:57 PM CDT

>I wish carving picks would train THAT good.

Don't we all.
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/08/2013 08:52 PM CDT

>>I wish carving picks would train THAT good.

>Don't we all.

Yeah I never understood why carving picks never taught anything but junk. It takes an insane amount of time and skill and should teach.
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/08/2013 10:49 PM CDT
>Yeah I never understood why carving picks never taught anything but junk. It takes an insane amount of time and skill and should teach.

If I had to guess?

1: Extremely old system, relic from previous design philosophy.

Plus

2: Given the above, the skill was (kinda) a big money maker (ok, maybe, maybe not, just go with it?) and it increased skill modifiers, at a time when that was essentially the only item doing so.

Pants.
Re: Lockpick (and Ring) Repair & Mech Lore 06/08/2013 11:15 PM CDT

Carving and repairing doesn't train well because we have the door to train with, duh!

-O