Lockpicks post 3.0 11/20/2012 09:35 AM CST
Does anyone know what is going to happen to all the lockpicks carved pre-3.0, post 3.0? I'm not entirely keen on choosing, say, carving or engineering solely on the basis that lockpicks can be carved through that discipline.

Thanks.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 11/20/2012 01:33 PM CST
>>Does anyone know what is going to happen to all the lockpicks carved pre-3.0, post 3.0?

I don't believe the new lockpick carving system has even been discussed yet. Kodius has several other systems he has planned to be released first so that they can do the mech split, and probably has no more than a rough outline (if that) of this system. He's really good about making old tools convert to the new systems so I wouldn't worry at all.

I doubt he reads this folder so I would post the question in the lore folder to get an official answer from him.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 11/20/2012 05:45 PM CST
I heard when 3.0 hits that all the lockpicks carved under the old system will animate like those dolls did and attack whoever is close by impaling them in the knee.

~Nancy~
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 11/21/2012 09:59 AM CST
>I doubt he reads this folder so I would post the question in the lore folder to get an official answer from him.

eh, not really concerned enough to pester the big kids about the future. I was just thinking of stocking up to weather the confusion that will inevitably ensue.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 11/22/2012 06:54 AM CST
Ya never know where someone might be reading.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (Mod-Pomae@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 12/17/2012 01:57 AM CST
Can't wait to roll with some empath made lockpicks.

Disarm: 0.10
Lockpick: 1.28
Mechanical lore: 1452

Equals:

Locksmithing: 1.28
Whateveryouwant: 1452

Equals:

I'm god of lockpicks!

I'm really looking forward to the mech split. I just detest the idea of lockpicks being out of the realm of actual locksmiths. Open it up to any guild. Just have it be dependent on actual locksmithing. 50/50 split of locksmithing and whateveryoudecidetocallit.

I realize that the greatest blacksmiths might not ever see combat but you can't make a lockpick without knowing how to pick a lock.

Avrii says, "I'll train while youre not on and other than that you'll never see me."
You say, "Maybe y'should start wif that."
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 12/17/2012 02:00 AM CST
>>I realize that the greatest blacksmiths might not ever see combat but you can't make a lockpick without knowing how to pick a lock.

I would agree if people were just thinking up how to design them, but my understanding is that they're going to be reading detailed instructions on how to carve them.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 12/18/2012 08:04 AM CST
I agree with you 100 %.

However, they already have it sewn up lock stock and barrel. So, I won't be tilting at any windmills.

IC-wise though, I will refuse to use any other lockpicks than thief-made <or stolen> :-).

So if it means I have to sit and train my thief 1000 ranks of engineering or whatever, so be it. Same goes for weapons. I don't buy anything other than Barbarian-forged.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 12/18/2012 07:47 PM CST
>you can't make a lockpick without knowing how to pick a lock.

Can say the same for the reverse. A professional lockpicker WILL know how locks are designed. The two go completely hand in hand obviously. Go search for local locksmiths and they will be able to pick your lock and make you a new one!

It's not like DR lockpicks are anything like real life lockpicks. The system here is simplified for gameplay. Also we can only pick boxes from slain creatures as opposed to picking locks not belonging to you in the city avoiding the public and guards. That's where the excitement comes from with lockpicking! Which makes me wonder if there's gonna be an overhaul in the system when we can start making 3.0 lockpicks. Various tension wrenches, picks, and rakes for specific lock designs, shims, cleaning out the lock, bump keys, nefarious lock removal and replacement, learning the lock's design and filing a key for easy future intrusion until they change their lock, and whatever else could be implemented.

Definitely dreaming over here, but it's fun to ramble. :P

-Rixie
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 12/19/2012 07:20 AM CST
that's basically how it is set up in the throne city museum, although it uses the same basic system as box locks. hopefully once kodius gets tinkering or whatever set up in engineering, we'll be able to implement some new systems into the cities and have some serious burglary type of activities set up for guilded thieves to have some fun with.

<for instance, one of the 2.0 titles is safecracker. There's only one or two actual "safes" in-game <one was in the pawn shop, of course, its been opened a few times :-).

Another one was supposed to be for a home-owner furniture design thing i won a long time ago, <i think in TF>, but i've never picked up the prize for.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 02/09/2013 12:18 PM CST
Sorry for thread necro, but i was curious...Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the skill levels required for carving master's and grandmaster's that are listed on E-pedia?

According to the wiki, 200+ locksmithing for masters and 340+ for grandmasters, plus mech so you dont break the picks while carving.

I'm currently sitting at 250 locksmithing and 250 mech, and seem to carve master's about 50% of the time with high confidence/urban bonus and mainly i'm curious as to when i could be expecting my first grandmaster's to pop up. It would seem that since i came back for DR3.0 Ratha's hatchling boxes actually teach decently again so 340 doesnt seem as far off as it once did.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 02/09/2013 07:45 PM CST
Made my first grandmaster iron lockpick with 284 lockpicking, 204 mech and 49 agility.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 02/13/2013 03:31 AM CST
<< According to the wiki, 200+ locksmithing for masters and 340+ for grandmasters, plus mech so you dont break the picks while carving.

This estimation is a bit optimistic, at those ranks you might get lucky and carve up your one in a million grandmaster. It depends a lot on the material but for iron i would say maybe 500ish to start putting out grandmasters at about 20% rate. But i wouldn't worry about it too much, the 3.0 carving is probably not that far away and it will change everything. I'm no master crafter but you will probably be needing a lot more mech lore/engineering to make things happen.
Re: Lockpicks post 3.0 04/01/2013 03:27 PM CDT
Anyone know which metal makes the best lockpicks currently? I know they haven't been fully integrated into the new crafting system, so i doubt anything but durability would be affected. That being asked, if anyone could give me a rough estimate of what kind of forging skill might be required to make a keyblank with the above metal.