new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 08:40 AM CDT
It used to be when you joined the thieves guild you got 4 ranks of disarm and locks automatically. Then it became 3 ranks of each. Then, when our requirements changed, it was 3 ranks of each. all was good, we got louts which taught the newbies from zero.

Then.... came the lockpick/disarm rewrite. And while this was great for most who already have trained the skill somewhat, both commoners and brandnew thieves are missing something here.

I just started out a newbie. As a commoner - and I had him join the thieves guild - stats are the following:

Strength : 12 Reflex : 15
Agility : 15 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 10 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 10 Stamina : 15
Favors: 0
Concentration: 60 Max: 60
TDPs: 25

Everything else he's tried he's been able to train a bit. Fighting <evasion>. Stalking. Backstabbing. Skinning. BUT... he got a Lout box. The very easiest boxes in the game. With Zero disarm skill .... YOU cannot see the trap. Even has 8 ranks of perception from foraging branches for mags. Still no can do. I have gotten either one of the following 2 messages :

disarm my skip id
Careful probing of the iron skippet fails to reveal to you what type of trap protects it.
You get the distinct feeling your careless examination caused something to shift inside the trap mechanism. This is not likely to be a good thing.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

>disarm my skip id
Careful probing of the iron skippet fails to reveal to you what type of trap protects it.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

for the last 50 attempts. With 0.00 disarm. clear.

Somethings wrong with this picture.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 08:45 AM CDT
This is definately a problem, even for non-thieves. I started a new cleric and had the same problem. I got around it by having a Moon Mage cast Clear Vision on me. I can disarm them fine with 0 ranks but I can't see the trap or the lock. I'm surprised Barbarians haven't complained about it because they can't even get the CV. Please fix
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 09:10 AM CDT
can you just skip the id part and go directly to disarm careful or plain disarm?

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 09:12 AM CDT
>>can you just skip the id part and go directly to disarm careful or plain disarm?

With a greater chance of blowing them, yes. Although the only thing i've seen on lout and zombie goblin boxes are gas and bouncer traps with the occasional posion it's probably not that big of a deal to blow them.
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 09:29 AM CDT
I haven't had a problem disarm id'ing with 0 DT. I did have 30 PE working for me, though.

Personally, I think louts just need to be more common.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 09:30 AM CDT
Bah, early in the morning. Forgot to mention this was on goblin boxes. Not louts.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 09:33 AM CDT
>>I haven't had a problem disarm id'ing with 0 DT. I did have 30 PE working for me, though.

That's the problem, if you have little to no perception it's impossible to see the trap without a buff. You shouldn't have to go get a bunch of ranks in perception before you can disarm a box. IMO at least
Re: new thieves need disarm ranks 08/20/2008 11:59 AM CDT
I'll look into it. I put a fudge factor in but I may have missed identification.

-Z