Carving Names 08/01/2007 08:48 AM CDT
Is it still possible to carve a full name in a grandmaster lockpick?

Legendary Thief Kraelyst the Hand

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 02:11 PM CDT
If I remember what I heard correctly, no.. can only do initials.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 03:35 PM CDT
i haven't done any better than initials but i'm not sure, should test with blitor or addlestone, if anyone can write the whole name they should be able to.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 05:16 PM CDT
Hmm, friend of mine, 400ish locks disarm 70 agility got full name a night or two ago, not sure his mech. Maybe I misunderstood him.
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 09:19 PM CDT
your 'friend' have a name?

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 09:23 PM CDT
I'm sure he'd post if he cared to help you out, he hasn't, so I won't. Was just saying that he showed me a lockpick he said he made two nights ago, with his full name on it. I was trying to help out and say it sure seemed still "possible" heh.
Re: Carving Names 08/01/2007 11:28 PM CDT
>>your 'friend' have a name?

It's on his lockpick. Weren't you paying attention?
Re: Carving Names 08/02/2007 07:04 AM CDT
I'll pay attention when he gives me his lockpick.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://tinyurl.com/3ch2oz (Spiritweaving)

Holiness of soul lies within integrity of spirit. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: Carving Names 08/02/2007 07:39 AM CDT
I asked around in TF and a few high Thiefs said that full names are possible

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Carving Names 08/02/2007 09:26 AM CDT
>>Hmm, friend of mine, 400ish locks disarm 70 agility got full name a night or two ago, not sure his mech. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Those numbers probably aren't right, but I'm glad to hear someone is probably still doing it. I'll keep working at it.

-- Euripides
Re: Carving Names 08/02/2007 02:02 PM CDT
470 locks, 410 mech, 60 agility. Full names on occasion.
Re: Carving Names 08/03/2007 09:03 AM CDT
How often do you get GM locks as compared to master irons?
Re: Carving Names 08/03/2007 03:12 PM CDT
a run of 50 will generally give 15-20 GMs. which makes me sad, because GMs don't sell.

how bout we all stop selling masters for a while, and only sell GMs?
Re: Carving Names 08/03/2007 03:41 PM CDT
>>because GMs don't sell.

Part of the reason GMs don't sell is because of the perception that GMs don't give more advantage than master's in the hands of non-Thieves. I think this is a total myth and I can't even imagine why anyone would want to perpetuate it. Unfortunately it would be difficult to debunk this myth, but I just might try anyway. Or better yet, maybe a GameMaster could just tell us.

-- Euripides
Re: Carving Names 08/03/2007 07:19 PM CDT
Kraelyst: I vaguely recall in the dim past a time when it was frowned upon for non-Thieves to even have grandmaster's picks. Probably right after their release. Maybe this myth originated then. I imagine this effort was short-lived, but anyway...

HR>eat trench
The Empath Guild Leader has determined that consuming a deep trench may be hazardous to your health.
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 07:11 AM CDT
i suppose i could have a few of my characters test it.

Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 10:57 AM CDT
Another "nail in the coffin" for GM picks is they cost more. Honestly for me most of the time a master pick is already overkill. I really wish more thieves would sell their "waste" picks for cheep (pros and the like).

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 12:58 PM CDT
I'll sell you my crude and rough lockpicks cheap.

As you consider an attempt to stalk the Empath Fraethis, you believe it's blind as a bat. Go for it.
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 01:16 PM CDT
I think the "myth" got started because that's how the GMs explained the release of GM lockpicks. IOW, it may not be a myth at all.
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 05:56 PM CDT
>> Another "nail in the coffin" for GM picks is they cost more. Honestly for me most of the time a master pick is already overkill. I really wish more thieves would sell their "waste" picks for cheep (pros and the like).

For most thieves cranking out picks for sale, masters ARE the "waste" picks. I can't remember a time i carved less than a masters.
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 07:04 PM CDT
>>Part of the reason GMs don't sell is because of the perception that GMs don't give more advantage than master's in the hands of non-Thieves.

Probably ain't helping that the thiefy GM has said that grandmasters will become unusable by non-thieves...why invest in a product market if it's going to shrivel up on you once you got established?

Maybe if ya'll went and pounded out this myth, then in naked avarice propped up a fly-by-night market. Get people used to using/demanding GMs, and then--POW!--suddenly the glut of GMs in non-thief hands can't be used anymore.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Carving Names 08/04/2007 07:41 PM CDT
>>Probably ain't helping that the thiefy GM has said that grandmasters will become unusable by non-thieves

One thing that does do is completely guarantee I'm not going to spend another moment thinking about whether grandmasters work for non-Thieves and I'm certainly not going to do any testing.

-- Euripides
Re: Carving Names 08/05/2007 10:44 AM CDT
ditto.
Re: Carving Names 01/04/2008 09:43 PM CST
<<Honestly for me most of the time a master pick is already overkill. I really wish more thieves would sell their "waste" picks for cheep (pros and the like).>>

I'd love to. Though I'd want to try and explain the whole thing in an IC way as to why my character would do it for YOURS... he'd have no compunctions about selling quality-pro etc lockpicks. He can't make masters yet, he'd sell 'em cheap.

Player of
Alley Cat
Re: Carving Names 06/19/2008 02:25 PM CDT
This post was from a long time ago, but I remembered it when I finally got my first...

>carve lockpick
With the precision and skill shown only by true masters of this art, you carve "Gybrush La'Realm" into the side of a grandmaster's iron lockpick.
Roundtime: 13 seconds.

read lockp
A grandmaster's iron lockpick reads:
Gybrush La'Realm