Learning Cap for Carving 08/14/2006 09:11 PM CDT
What's the learning cap for Lockpicking skill from carving? At 200+ Mech Lore I can still mindlock from carving but after i hit 130 lockpicking (yes.. sadly due to lack of boxies and the fact it learns a billion times slower than disarming its my 7th or 9th survival) I can't bump it past learning (but i know I am still gaining some exp because i started off as clear)

Or is the experience gained dependent on the quality of the product? This is at a measely 28 agility, working on Iron. I get quality, superior, and slim lockpicks.

>put my head on anvil
You put your head on the iron anvil.

>awaken
You can't do that while you are asleep.

>bbs
You begin to doze off again.
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/14/2006 10:41 PM CDT
Think it might be a quality thing. With over 300 in Locks I can Mind Lock. I also save all the masters that have a chance of becoming grand masters up. Doing just a handful of the last carves on them Mind Lock's me with only a very small quantity, so I'd assume the better the quality the better the learning.

Player of too many to mention

Jim regarding Ragran, Ainandil and Sakhara: Though of the three you by far are the most logical, the other two are just circling the airport with no landing gear.
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/14/2006 11:41 PM CDT
Thanks! I'll be training Agility next then ;)

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/19/2006 03:32 AM CDT
Welp, 132 Lockpicking skill and 30 Agility now.. no luck, still can't get it bump past learning. Assisted IG and was told to check the forums. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/19/2006 04:45 PM CDT
try lower quality key blanks... start with Ivory than see about copper or bronze... also remember there is a timer placed on carving which limits how often you can do it and learn lockpicking.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/19/2006 05:34 PM CDT
I was using Copper keyblanks since I hit 30 agility. I did retry and at most I got was to thoughtful, so I suppose it is moving.. and perhaps I happened to checked after pulses the first run through.. hardly seem like an effective way to learn lockpicking, yet someone else is mindlocking at 300 ranks so I'm a but frustrated.

I didn't bother with Ivory because I figured if it got to that point I'm better off in gobby land seeing how I'm down to 18 plat now.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/20/2006 05:18 PM CDT
<<<I didn't bother with Ivory because I figured if it got to that point I'm better off in gobby land seeing how I'm down to 18 plat now.>>>

I think the better you carve the more you learn, so softer blanks = more learning when you're starting, but I could be wrong. Also, make sure you eat your cookies.
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/20/2006 08:41 PM CDT
Well, I was using copper, I ate my cookies (all 3 of them), had 132 Lockpicking 200+ Mech Lore and 30 Agility, so i should have enough stats and mech to carve the best I can given my lockpicking skill. I could not get it past thoughtful while getting quality and rarely superior and that's why I assisted in the first place.

I don't quite have the money to burn and find out if I can mind lock via ivory to figure out if something's wrong, so I'm kinda stuck on this issue.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/20/2006 08:53 PM CDT
Just so we're clear, I'm Mind Locking but not by doing one or two. That's doing 15-20 or more, some of which are GrandMaster's. It's definitely the last carve in the GM's that kick in alot of exp.

Player of too many

Jim regarding Ragran, Ainandil and Sakhara: Though of the three you by far are the most logical, the other two are just circling the airport with no landing gear.
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/20/2006 09:05 PM CDT
Yes i understand that. I burned 2-5 plat on keyblanks on each of the two instances I came here asking about the learning rate. I've only spent those two nights trying out carving, non-stop.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/20/2006 09:06 PM CDT
Sorry for the split post, thought I should also mention that up until I hit 130 ranks, I WAS able to mindlock and fairly quickly. AFTER 130 ranks, it hardly moves.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/21/2006 06:10 AM CDT
well, quit trying to learn by carving and go pop boxes!

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/21/2006 07:19 AM CDT
Well, popping boxies is hard when you can barely kill up the level you can pop.. and its hard to get additional supply when you're actively trying NOT to get people to think you're a thief. Yeah yeah I know there are non thieves in the Locksmiths Union but we all know 90% voluntary/conscripted box poppers are thieves. Those who aren't often cast spells while on the job.

It used to be I was learning too fast, then I simply don't produce enough boxies for me to pop to keep the experience going.. and with current state of Lockpicking learning mechs I had to spend a week of hunting in gobby land to deliberately narrow the 20 rank gap between picking and disarming. And that's still slower than before I hit the 130 mark from carving.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/21/2006 03:32 PM CDT
then maybe you should quit worrying about box skills and train combats up so you can pop the boxes that you supposedly say are at your level.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/21/2006 06:18 PM CDT
I know, its just that I'm so close to making objects talk and I know lockpicking is the only skill keeping me behind for like, 3 circles, i was hoping to find some way to get there faster.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: Learning Cap for Carving 08/21/2006 07:55 PM CDT
heh heh.. I know that feeling... which is why I'm in kartais hunting.... getting combats up to help with the boxes...
it'd be easier to offer services and play the non-thief locksmith card...

Sothios Clan-Csencsits