Lockpick Carving 11/22/2005 03:16 PM CST
I'm sure this has been asked over a thousand times, but what are min requirements to carving a professional or master iron lockpick?

>'Heal me you infidel!
You exclaim, "Heal me you infidel!"
>
Healer Adept Onsuwayo says, "I'll be with you in just a moment!"
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/22/2005 03:21 PM CST
depends? what keyblank we talkin about? ::grins:: I know with 140's mech, 188 locks, 35 agility, I can get master with copper. Gettin closer to gettin master with iron, since I"m carving pro's with iron. So I'll try again at 200 ranks in locks, 150's mech. I'll let you know in a week how that turns out.

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/23/2005 12:58 AM CST
This is the list I have saved, not sure where I got it from though, and my thief can't even make professionals so I apparently haven't verified the info:

TypeAgilityMechLockpicking
Professional30100130
Master37140180
Grandmaster55250440

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Cast of iron, dull grey and pitted, this altar is cold and lifeless. A thin coating of rust covers its surface. The words "Even Death We Master" are scrawled across the altar, defacing even destruction.
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/23/2005 01:33 AM CST
Almost definetly need more then that to get master's consistantly.

I started getting masters almost 100% of the time, with khri, at around 220 locks and over 200 mech. (40 agil)

-V.R.

>give salesgirl 15 lirums
The salesgirl gives you a funny look. "This lirum is worth more than 15 lirums!"
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/23/2005 12:56 PM CST
>>I started getting masters almost 100% of the time, with khri, at around 220 locks and over 200 mech. (40 agil)

Depends on the keyblank. I carved about 200 lockpicks the other day, 10 iron, the rest copper. All 10 iron were pro's, the copper about 150 were masters, 20-25 were pros, 10 were superiors, and the rest were high quality. My khri dropped and wasn't payin attention to the script. My fault there. But with copper, I'm gettin masters left and right.

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/23/2005 02:05 PM CST
Was talking about irons, never really messed around much with the others.

-V.R.

The salesgirl gives you a funny look. "This lirum is worth more than 15 lirums!"
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/23/2005 06:16 PM CST
>>was talkin about irons

ahh...alright, my mistake. Irons, I can't wait to start carving masters with them things.

~Dalkin~

Re: Lockpick Carving 11/24/2005 12:27 PM CST
what is the difficulty order for the keyblanks? breakin irons left and right is no way to spend my day
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/24/2005 12:35 PM CST
ivory, soapstone, copper, bronze, iron, siver-hued, platnium-hued....i know i'm missing a few in there, someone fill in the blanks

-Teh Scout Schadowynd, Brigand of Ratha
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/26/2005 04:41 PM CST
I think the lockpick material is more like below, with the easier to carve stuff also being the stuff that breaks quicker. With the rare materials I feel pretty good about the order I have but the only ones I'm certain of are the golden and platinum-hued (golden is the same as iron and platinum-hued is the only material I know of that is actually better than iron)

Max durability: Decent
Soapstone
Ivory

Max durability: Fair
Bronze
Ironwood

Max durability: Good
Silver-hued
Copper

Max durability: Excellent
Golden-hued
Iron
Platinum-hued

Unknown:
Mother-of-pearl

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides
Re: Lockpick Carving 11/26/2005 08:48 PM CST
Has anyone tested the diamondique keyblanks that were recently made available to a few?

-V.R.

Re: Lockpick Carving 11/26/2005 09:47 PM CST
purreliss had them carved into master's by addlestone

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Lockpick Carving 12/06/2005 06:40 PM CST
that info comes from DRsecrets. and like most other stuff on the site, take it with a grain of salt. results will vary.

lockpicking 359
mech lore 264
agility 46

carving grandmasters on occasion

and, i've only carved grandmasters in iron and some of the other 'fest-thiefshop' special materials - i.e. steel something-or-other. i don't know if its even possible to carve grandmasters in some of the 'easier' materials - i.e. ivory, bronze, copper.

schvartz

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Lockpick Carving 12/11/2005 05:50 AM CST
The diamondique blanks had max quality below iron. Was rather disappointing. I wanted to put my name on some of those.

I'd be curious to know where steel and steel alloys fit in. So far I've only made grands from those, plat, gold and iron.

For carving grands...Mech doesn't matter, basically. You can't make a grands if you bend the pick, but bending is all that is mech based. The quality, be it stout or grandmasters is purely lockpicking (and stat) derived.

My first grand irons were at 40 agil, 200 mech and 350-380ish locks. Think first was at 350, then didn't get another for 20 ranks. :P

Addlestone.
Re: Lockpick Carving 01/08/2006 11:53 AM CST
When should a thief start doing their own carving? How do the lower level keyblanks carved compare to say store bought? Should I take the time to carve my own copper keyblanks and use those or just stick to store bought for now? I'm personally still sitting at roughly 65 lockpick and disarm, then 110 mech, and only 15 agiligty...still low circle. I know as of right now I can't carve troll poop, but curious when you elders would suggest us youngins start carving.
Re: Lockpick Carving 01/08/2006 12:16 PM CST
when you feel like it.

that's really all it amounts too. the only place I use masters for lockpicking is TC museum.. otherwise, I just use any old lockpick I pick off the ground.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Lockpick Carving 01/08/2006 02:04 PM CST
You're probably (if I remember right) about 20 ranks off of being able to make some decent quality picks from low quality materials. Pisser of carving yourself is that until you get decent with iron blanks, the blanks run incredibly expensive. (~10X the price for ivory)... The cost effectiveness of it basically makes carving your own rather worthless.

Many will steal the blanks instead, but in that case, you're really not gonna steal enough to make it worthwhile either.

That said...Some of us just find carving fun, and like being able to say "I pick with my own creation"... It's also a rather decent way of locking mech, though, shortly after locking you, the timer'll kick in making you unable to learn from carving fgor quite some time. Either way, if you think it'd wind up fun, have at it.

Your mech is actually rather decent, which should nuke the trouble most people have, which is picks snapping, or being bent so much through carving, that even if you get a master's, you stand to get one er two boxes done before it snaps. That your picks should alst longer will make it a bit more cost effective, but really, until you can do irons, you're still better off just buying stouts, or finding someone willing to toss some decent irons your way.

Other benefit to using regular picks is that ya ain't gotta make the trip to Shard. Blanks are heavy as hell (10 stone apiece) compared to the one stone a lockpick weighs, so carrying them around while waiting to carve them can be a pain as well.

If you do decide to carve your own, just make sure you do it in town, uninjured, khri'd up, and without head or hand armour on. There are no messages accompanying lockpick carving, such as there are with stealing (ie. your armour hinders your attempt).

Good luck.
Re: Lockpick Carving 01/08/2006 03:38 PM CST
<<If you do decide to carve your own, just make sure you do it in town, uninjured, khri'd up, and without head or hand armour on.>>

don't forget arm worn shields also hinder you.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Lockpick Carving 08/14/2006 02:20 PM CDT
Steal slims, ordinaries and stouts, carve after you break 100 in locks, and, you'll still mostly do it for giggles. No point in carving what you can steal. Just occasionally grab a keyblank, and when you start carving better than you can steal, start thinking about carving.
Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/08/2008 01:50 PM CDT
I know it's possible, albiet incredibly hard to do, as a non thief, but has anyone ever heard of a non-thief making a masters, or even a proffesional? Someone ask in TF? Curious, because it could shatter the 4 gold masters economy.
Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/08/2008 01:55 PM CDT
<<I know it's possible, albiet incredibly hard to do, as a non thief, but has anyone ever heard of a non-thief making a masters, or even a proffesional? Someone ask in TF? Curious, because it could shatter the 4 gold masters economy.>>

non-thieves can not carve lockpicks at the moment nor have they been able to for the past several years. There was a time it was opened to everyone, but it was changed back due to complaints from the thief guild.

The mech lore split will once again open it up to everyone, but the lockpicking rewrite will change a lot about who can use what lockpicks and what ones are needed and how one uses them.

Yamcer

Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/08/2008 02:30 PM CDT
Even if it were possible, I don't see one player, thief or not, affecting the market that significantly. In any case, they wouldn't be any more likely to as a non-thief.
Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/08/2008 02:43 PM CDT
hell.. I have an arse-load of master lockpicks on my galleon just waiting to be sold... not to mention a bunch of 100 count origami envelopes....

Sothios Mori'Taren
Riverhaven Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/08/2008 08:22 PM CDT
Even assuming it was possible,

>>incredibly hard to do, as a non thief

This would make the dent in the market negligible. Besides, where would you get keyblanks?

Also, if you're using lockpick sales to make money, I think you have other problems.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/09/2008 01:20 AM CDT
>>Besides, where would you get keyblanks?

You don't have to be a Thief to get keyblanks a few places.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Lockpick Carving as a Non-Thief 05/09/2008 06:29 AM CDT
when i used to carve more, my trader used to buy my keyblanks all the time.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Lockpick Carving 10/15/2010 02:20 PM CDT
Does the time of day determine ease of carving lockpicks? I had been carving master's irons and noticed as day turned to night I rarely made professional irons.

Also, a quick observation, no solid proof: Is it me or does carving outside Shard's bank boost one's ability in carving. I observed a fair decrease in the number of master's irons I carved when I didn't carve outside the bank.
Re: Lockpick Carving 10/15/2010 05:38 PM CDT
I can't think of a particular reason why the time of day would affect carving. Could it be your confidence level dropping over time? As for carving outside Shard bank - there used to be certain locations that were deemed to give a good bonus to carving, but I am not sure that is still the case. As long as you are in a spot where you get the 'surroundings fit your talents perfectly' message using SMIRK, that should be sufficient to get a bonus. It could be some spots are still better, or it could just be pure luck/coincidence that you get better results there.
Re: Lockpick Carving 10/15/2010 10:18 PM CDT
My thinking is that at night it's darker. On one hand I would think your decreased vision at night would lower your ability to carve, but then again on the other hand, using khri (with sight) I should think would counter that. :/ That's if day and night would mean anything to carving lockpicks.

I had been "at the top" of my game in bonus fairly recently, but unsure where I am now so who knows, maybe that did play a role in it all.
Re: Lockpick Carving 10/16/2010 12:06 AM CDT
yeah, keep an eye on your Bonus. it plays a huge roll with pick carving when your near the beginning of carving a level. I might get one out of 3 master irons at neutral confidence in perfect settings. Top of my game, im getting masters the carve before the final one.