Lockpicks 07/18/2002 02:36 PM CDT
Greetings,

If this isn't the place to ask, please pardon my intrusion. I'm looking to buy 5 master's picks at the going rate from a reputable thief (or designated trader). If anyone who fits the bill and is looking to sell a few could send me a message over AIM at MazrianDamondred I would be grateful.

Mazrian
Re: Lockpicks 07/18/2002 05:21 PM CDT
Greetings,

Got what I was looking for. :) Thanks.

Mazrian
Lockpicks 08/06/2002 03:08 PM CDT
First, I would like to ask, with a skill one has, does using a slim/common/stout lockpick from the shop seem to lower one's skill?

I ask, because, I have equal ranks in disarm and lockpick, yet, I find myself unable to pop boxes without a master lockpick, dispite the fact I can disarm them.

About how many more ranks of lockpick do I need from disarm to be able to pick a box from meys, with a common/stout/slim lockpick?

Dark Angel Crusinix
Marking Lockpicks 09/20/2006 05:06 AM CDT
I vaguely remember hearing about being able to mark lockpicks much the same way a smith can forge weapons. Is this true? If so, how do I get my mark.
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/20/2006 07:29 AM CDT
>>I vaguely remember hearing about being able to mark lockpicks much the same way a smith can forge weapons. Is this true? If so, how do I get my mark.

You keep training locks, mech and agility, then eventually you'll be able to put your initials(and I've heard even your name) on Grandmaster lockpicks.

Player of too many

Jim regarding Ragran, Ainandil and Sakhara: Though of the three you by far are the most logical, the other two are just circling the airport with no landing gear.
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/20/2006 07:39 AM CDT
it just automatically happens if you have enough skill when you are carving. at first you only initial, and then you sign your whole name on it. only happens on grandmaster picks, not below.

schvartz

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/20/2006 02:58 PM CDT
Erk.. is ther ean option to NOT sign your name on it?
side question: What if you don't have a last name? A single initial would look weird, heh.

< With the speed and temerity of a pouncing cougar, a stuffed kitten ambushes you. You fail to evade, failing miserably. The stuffed kitten lands a harmless strike to the your chest.
a stuffed kitten lodges itself firmly in your arms!
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/21/2006 02:27 PM CDT
>>>side question: What if you don't have a last name? A single initial would look weird, heh.<<<

Why?

E.
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/22/2006 01:09 AM CDT
well, i suppose it would be less amusing to have one with a thief names xavier -- mark it with an X - that could be roleplayed, name a tog X---something, roleplay that they can't write too well, so they mark it with an X.

although it would be rather amusing to have a thief WITH a last name, initial them... say a thief named Fred Underwood? :-)

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Marking Lockpicks 09/26/2006 12:14 AM CDT
>Erk.. is ther ean option to NOT sign your name on it?

yes marking is a choice. after pick is done you carve once more to mark it
Repairing Lockpicks 04/29/2008 01:42 PM CDT
What skills are required to repair lockpicks and how much in those skills does it take to begin repairing picks with any real confidence?
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/29/2008 08:39 PM CDT
mech... and decent enough.

Sothios Mori'Taren
Riverhaven Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/29/2008 08:42 PM CDT
you gotta be taught the ability, you can't just do it with enough skill.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/29/2008 08:55 PM CDT
you just had to let that slip eh?

Sothios Mori'Taren
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/29/2008 10:02 PM CDT
>> you just had to let that slip eh?

I know all about how you have to be taught. Just questioned what skills and how much it took of those skills to repair lockpicks with a fair amount of consistent success.
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/30/2008 06:31 AM CDT
speaking of lockpick crafting, the ones i've made after the khri changes all seem to be less in appraisal value than prior to the khri changes. was wondering whether part of the code in the former khris were left out where crafting lockpicks is concerned.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Repairing Lockpicks 04/30/2008 07:41 AM CDT
it did seem a bit harder to carve... although I did get gm's last time...

do calm, focus, safe, sight, hasten.... that seems to be the prime combo to do the carving decently...
and btw, 250 in concentration and ya can put them all up in one command...

Sothios Mori'Taren
Lockpicks 09/18/2009 11:44 AM CDT
So, for a non thief, how big of a boost is a masters lockpick over say ordinary or slim?

I'm trying to move up the critter ladder and am curious how big a boost if any they can actually be.

Thanks,

Mind of Many
Re: Lockpicks 09/18/2009 05:12 PM CDT
Disarm is around 250, locks are around 240 for me.. Perception is almost 360 (50 disc); as I understand that tilts me generally toward needing less ranks in and of itself.
(44/43 agility,/reflex 59/58 with Benediction up)

I can do raider boxes fairly easily -- elantipedia says not to even start on raider boxes until you have 240 (though I find that site to be a little conservative on boxes). I often have a bard playing drums for me, and I haven't tried with stouts etc. in a very long time, but this might at least give you a ballpark if someone else has something more solid.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields