Warding Skill 06/09/2018 07:16 PM CDT
Can we please get some of our abilities moved to the warding skill?

Physical damage barriers and defenses against contested abilities fall well within the realm of warding for all other guilds, but they seem to be utility for Thieves because it was decided Thieves shouldn't have warding abilities? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 12:22 PM CDT
Yes. Here's a teaser. Hope to get it into test this month. These changes will also fix the Flight/Elusion req issue, but it required touching every Khri as well as core Khri, as well as several other systems, so the changes took a while and QC takes a while...

>khri
From the Subtlety tree, you know the following khri: Darken (Aug), Dampen (Util/Ward), Strike (Aug), Silence (Util), Shadowstep (Util), Sensing (Util), Vanish (Util), Harrier (Aug), Evanescence (Util)
From the Finesse tree, you know the following khri: Hasten (Util), Safe (Aug), Avoidance (Aug), Plunder (Aug), Flight (Aug/Ward), Guile (Debil), Cunning (Util/Aug), Elusion (Aug), Muse (Aug), Slight (Util), Credence (Debil), Insight (Aug)
From the Potence tree, you know the following khri: Focus (Aug), Prowess (Debil), Sight (Aug), Calm (Util), Steady (Aug), Eliminate (Debil), Serenity (Ward), Sagacity (Ward), Terrify (Debil), Endure (Aug/Util), Intimidate (Debil), Fright (Aug)
You have -3 available slots.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 01:11 PM CDT
Any chance we can get a list of what these new khri do? Are they all setup for combat or other things as well?

<Blessed is the mind too small for doubt>
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 01:45 PM CDT
I want to know more about the the ones that require warding, which we have zero of currently.

Are we going to get a warding bump up to what's appropriate to our level? (which would suck) Or are we starting from scratch? (which would suck worse)

Or are we going to get it bumped up to be in line the with rest of our magics which most of us have over-trainined. Not to mention any 200 circle thieves which capped long ago and kept going... and going...

See where I'm getting at?

If there is some type of boost, I'd be happy with starting with ranks in warding along of the lines of our lowest magic we have currently. The average of all magics would be even better.

Majorly, The Locksmith.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 03:04 PM CDT
Typical grandfathering needs to die in a fire. Please use a magic average. I don’t even care if there’s no tdps from it. Please.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 03:05 PM CDT
I’m excited to see new changes. Thanks!

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 03:27 PM CDT
>What do they do?

Stuff. And things. They are not all combat abilities/buffs.

>grandfathering

Since all Thief abilities that are being converted to Warding skill currently use Utility, Warding will be grandfathered based off of a Thief’s Utility skill.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 03:46 PM CDT
As long as it makes sense. It's incredibly annoying to now have a skill 2-300 ranks behind your other magics (making it completely unusable in PVP or at level) and you have to back and backtrain it up before you can use it. That was the worst thing about magic grandfathering before. Hell, even if we could use a respec on the magic skillset that would be cool. Then we could move things around so we could at least make them trainable. Is that a possibility?

Monster Elec

Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 04:23 PM CDT
>> Since all Thief abilities that are being converted to Warding skill currently use Utility, Warding will be grandfathered based off of a Thief’s Utility skill.

What is the rationale behind this conversion?

The NMUs were told during the 3.0 conversion that they had to give up one of the magic skills - Utility for Barbs, and Warding for Thieves. It seemed nonsensical and unfairly limiting at the time, but that's how it was handled. So, what changed?

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 04:36 PM CDT
>Is that a possibility?

Probably not. I think you’ll be happy with the grandfathering in this case.

>So, what changed?

I honestly can’t say what changed, as I wasn’t on staff during the 3.0 conversion, so I can’t talk to the decisions back then. I pointed out that it made no sense that abilities that are clearly Wards don’t train Warding and volunteered to do the work so that they would, and the other GMs on staff agreed.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 04:55 PM CDT
>> I honestly can’t say what changed, as I wasn’t on staff during the 3.0 conversion, so I can’t talk to the decisions back then. I pointed out that it made no sense that abilities that are clearly Wards don’t train Warding and volunteered to do the work so that they would, and the other GMs on staff agreed.

Do you know if a similar thing will be done for Barbs?
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 04:56 PM CDT
>Do you know if a similar thing will be done for Barbs?

I don’t know of any plans at the moment, but that doesn’t mean I’m not forgetting something on Kodius’ plate.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 04:57 PM CDT
"I honestly can’t say what changed, as I wasn’t on staff during the 3.0 conversion, so I can’t talk to the decisions back then. I pointed out that it made no sense that abilities that are clearly Wards don’t train Warding and volunteered to do the work so that they would, and the other GMs on staff agreed."

I guess that begs the question: What would you say about Utilities that are clearly Utilities that don't train Utility?

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 05:17 PM CDT
Sounds like a great question for the barb folders.

Monster Elec

Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 06:18 PM CDT
>> Sounds like a great question for the barb folders.

Logic doesn't have "lanes".

Re: Warding Skill 06/11/2018 06:39 PM CDT
<<Logic doesn't have "lanes".

Unless you're Emmitt Brown (which if you are, please message me so we can talk about flying time-trains) where you are posting does have roads. Please post further non-thief suggestions in the appropriate folder.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Warding Skill 06/12/2018 05:36 AM CDT
> Since all Thief abilities that are being converted to Warding skill currently use Utility, Warding will be grandfathered based off of a Thief’s Utility skill.

That works perfectly.

Thanks J

Majorly, The Locksmith.
Re: Warding Skill 06/12/2018 04:10 PM CDT
Thanks Javac, this is awesome. Really appreciate the work you're putting in here.

> I don’t even care if there’s no tdps from it.

Just wanted to mention that I, uh, do care about TDPs though. If TDPs wouldn't be awarded at the standard rate for any grandfathered ranks, I'd strongly prefer to backtrain. But that's just me.
Re: Warding Skill 06/12/2018 04:20 PM CDT
Awesome Javac, thanks a lot for confirming both that this common-sense decision is being applied and that Thieves are not being penalized for not having the option to train utility at launch.
Re: Warding Skill 06/12/2018 04:41 PM CDT
To be clear, when I mentioned TDPs I specifically was talking about the paltry amount for being grandfathered a few hundred ranks. If that’s the price to not have to backtrain as much, by all means, keep my 100 tdps. I’ll take the extra few hundred tanks from averaging for a better number. I’m not going to let the short sighted gain of less than a single stat point mean that I have to backtrain for a year to get my new skill closer to my others so it can be used viably in combat. This seems like common sense.

Monster Elec

Re: Warding Skill 06/13/2018 01:42 AM CDT
> To be clear, when I mentioned TDPs I specifically was talking about the paltry amount for being grandfathered a few hundred ranks. If that’s the price to not have to backtrain as much, by all means, keep my 100 tdps. I’ll take the extra few hundred tanks from averaging for a better number. I’m not going to let the short sighted gain of less than a single stat point mean that I have to backtrain for a year to get my new skill closer to my others so it can be used viably in combat. This seems like common sense.

I mean, not to discount what you're saying, but it's all a matter of perspective. If you care about where you're at now, what you say does make sense. If you care about where you can be eventually, then every potential TDP counts since there's a finite amount you can earn. It's subjective and has a lot to do with what people's goals are in this game (and that's definitely going to vary from person to person).

Also, to be fair, I have lower ranks than you - so in a sense I have less to lose.

Regardless, opening up Warding to thieves will allow us all to earn more TDPs - which is great. And all this is moot if we just get the TDPs as part of being grandfathered. I'd still prefer not to be grandfathered if it reduces the total number I can earn ultimately, but I know that not everyone will feel that way.
Re: Warding Skill 06/13/2018 05:52 AM CDT
Maximum TDPs are ~460,000. Maximum stats are (depending on how you spread them out) somewhere between ~900-1100.

Not being grandfathered warding to anything below 400 ranks would be losing about 0.002% of your maximum theoretical strength. I know a lot of people take min/maxing seriously (I do), but I think you can safely discount it if you see the actual investment you're sacrificing. Even though at lower ranks those TDPs have relative higher value, the time investment saved is much more significant IMO.
Re: Warding Skill 06/13/2018 06:16 AM CDT
TDPs aren't game breaking if we get or don't get them. Say you get 500 in Warding, that would be what... 626 TDP's? That's about a weeks worth of normal leveling.

My point is, it is certainly not worth leveling the skill to gain the TDPs at all. But it also won't even remotely make us silly OP all of a sudden if we did get them.

That being said, I'd rather get them and add a point or two of charisma... dang judge.

Majorly, The Locksmith.
Re: Warding Skill 06/13/2018 06:43 PM CDT
You will get TDPs as normal. I'm not aware of a way to exclude skills from TDP calculations.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Warding Skill 06/14/2018 06:19 PM CDT
No rush but can you give us a ETA or estimation when to expect these changes to be released?
Re: Warding Skill 06/15/2018 01:26 AM CDT
That's great to hear. Thanks again, Javac!

> No rush but can you give us a ETA or estimation when to expect these changes to be released?

He did say above that he hopes to get it into test this month. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that slips, given there's a number of new abilities and that these things are hard to estimate to begin with. Regardless, it's something to look forward to.
Re: Warding Skill 06/15/2018 05:43 PM CDT
My goal is to get it into Test before I leave for vacation a week from today. I'll be on a boat, so the internet will be... non-existent. That way it gets plenty of time to break in Test, then hopefully we can do the release events in July.

Unfortunately, if I don't get it into Test by next Thursday, the vacation will mean it's not in Test until July.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Warding Skill 06/19/2018 06:43 PM CDT

Is there any chance dual load could be considered for crossbows?
Re: Warding Skill 06/19/2018 07:44 PM CDT
It's been a very long time since I was last in Test, this is interesting enough that I have to look at it and tinker around.

Thank you for getting it in Test.

DR: Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extraordinaire
GS4: Croatan Gurhal Dwarven Paladin