After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/20/2017 02:03 AM CDT

AKA: ENHANCED COMMONER
AKA: SHADOW JUDGE
AKA: SOIM

Hello, All Thieves:

I am more than certain most of you have no clue who I am though at one time the Thief Forums were literally filled with my post. But that is all some time ago. I stepped into the shadows and walked away in 2004. I just sort of poked my head in to see what all of you were up to.

I did see in GM Announcements that GM SSRA was still around. KUDOS to him... Long ago I use to Stalk the streets with him, he was a most excellent and insightful Thief player... Seeing his name made me smile...

I wanted to see what new thief code was implemented by now. Mostly because that was a large part of why I lost my love for this game... It had been quite some time in the past that I assisted GM ROYCE in coding our last big 4 KHRI that ended at like LEV 75. and after the long slow grind from 75 to 100 there was nothing. Wile, we saw Magic Using guilds like War Mages get perks and gifts... Then to lev to around 120 and still nothing new for years... Just nothing except the grind... It got boring with nothing to work for...

Oh, I still picked apart the game as best a player could from my side of the screen... It was fun to decipher how everything worked. and writing and editing scrips that were complex and did everything you could imagine while leaving me free to chat in-game or on AIM. LOL AIM I do not even know if AOL or AIM is still valid or used...

I do hope all of you are doing well... I walked through Crossing Town Square and did not see anyone... No thief picking boxes or selling lockpicks. I then walked to the Empath Guild and not even one Empath in there... Of the few, I saw I asked who carved the Best Grandmaster lockpicks? I was answered with we do not know, everyone just uses STOUT.... that was a WHAT moment for me...

SO what is the LEV these days of the Better Thieves 200+ probably or is there some point when the older ones all just fade away?

I also wonder on Thief Poison, I use to give Thieves in Game classes on it 3 to 4 times a year as needed when they got to the proper LEV. Does anyone now carry on that tradition?

Well enough Babbling from me, off to look around a bit more...

NUSHI
AKA SOIM
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/20/2017 05:58 AM CDT
>>I am more than certain most of you have no clue who I am...

Don't be so sure old man. Welcome back!

Majorly, The Locksmith
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/20/2017 06:02 AM CDT
Hey man,

Loooooooooots has changed since back then. If you'd like to hit me up on discord at Elec#7286. I'll do my level best to answer any other questions you have.

You are in for quite a few surprises. Firstly you are correct, most will not remember you. Most now will not care. Sara does indeed pop his head in now and then. Royce is gone as a GM but is back as his old thief. There's myself and a few other old timers around but honestly most everyone is sold or quit forever ago.

There is little to nothing of the old code left. It is incredibly out of place in today's game. Things like not stealing from an empath is silly when empaths can hunt and earn just as well as any other guild.

If you are looking for dev, we still aren't the guild for that. Khri were revamped and put on a halfhearted magic system a few years back. Our guild tops out at 110 when you'll finally have all the khri. Really, 100th is the end because there are two khri that are largely useless. Yes we can circle to 200th now. Yes that's 100 circles without dev.

As for picking apart the game, I too used to enjoy that. You will enjoy the newest functionality at your disposal for doing so called EXP MODS. If you put up a buff ig, and type that. It will tell you exactly how many ranks or stat points or whatever it is boosting. I've often joked that we would have shanked our own mothers for that ability back in the day.

Thieves do not congregate nearly as much as back in the day. The union is still a think, but it's a shadow of its former self much like most things. Hell, they still use the 4 gold standard lol. It doesn't matter who carves what as there are so many bots/afk scripted out thieves that anyone can carve in a month or twos work. People still buy masters by the truckload, but now they can be put on lock pick rings. Fits a bunch and only counts as one item.

Average circle? Eh who knows. There's like maybe 5 original thieves left at the top end and they are all somewhere between 125-200 as they've all taken breaks here or there. Circle doesn't mean much. We had our first to hit 200 a few years ago. It's a real grind anywhere near that level.

There is no real thief poison. The system that is left was needed to pointless years ago. Even the one pulse we used to make back in the day would be ineffective now due to the average persons stats being so inflated from back then. You may laugh to know that the char you sold has disappeared for some years. You could actually script a better version of Soim up within a year of training.

The guild has no secrecy policy anymore, though it's generally bad form to discuss guild abilities in public. However the official stance on thieves was destroyed with the advent of the necromancers guild. Lots of old thieves went that way because they actually have secrecy IG and the staff supports such things. By and large, the guild you knew is dead. Completely. I mean, even literally. They killed Kalag the Black and destroyed the old guild in game. You also now can look at the Wikipedia for most information on thieves. It's incorrect to a point but I refuse to change it any myself and I'm sure that there's other old timers that feel the same.

It's crazy I know. But there are some good things too if you are still into personal goals and training. If you've got anything else, hit me up. If you want to try another thief, I'll outfit you with all the gear you'll need to start. Shot me a DM on discord. Good to see you back, sorry that the guild is nothing like it was. It took me years of adjustment, and even now things will happen and I'll just shake my head. Welcome back all the same.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/20/2017 09:58 AM CDT

Welcome back!

Subai doesn't play anymore, but I'm still here. He says hello though.

~Sendithu
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/20/2017 10:54 AM CDT
<< Of the few, I saw I asked who carved the Best Grandmaster lockpicks? I was answered with we do not know, everyone just uses STOUT.... that was a WHAT moment for me...

Truth be told, i'm not even aware of such a concept as the best Grandmaster's. Most can carve them and i don't think they even cap at all for app value (seems kind of random at times)? And they're not even worth making for the price quite frankly. As far as the market goes, as long as they're Grandmasters people will buy them.

I guess it would make sense that people don't know the crafters though, since IG i would say it's still very much part of the etiquette or at least polite not talk about our guild business out in the open.

And it is true about stouts. They're the cheapest, most durable option as your goal is to fail as much as possible to learn as much as possible.
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/22/2017 01:29 PM CDT
Welcome back Soim. Yes theres still some of us that remember you. I havent read any of the replies to your post yet and plan to.

One bit of thief stuff that has changed (for the better in my opinion), out here in Muspar'i we have a guild outpost with a bin and a shop that sells keyblanks. Yeah, Im still running around in the desert. I myself stepped away for about 8 years and came back last year. Going with advice from Elec Ive changed how I train.

I know you and I didnt interact IG very often and you are only aware of my character in a peripheral kind of way, but you have my respect. Always have I suppose. Anyway, Welcome Back.

DR: Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extraordinaire
GS4: Croatan Gurhal Dwarven Paladin
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 10/26/2017 08:02 PM CDT

Holy Crap

Heya Soim. Man.. long time bud. I hope you make the jump and return, even for a bit. You were one of the original masters back in my day.. well, at least one of the characters I thought were top notch in our guild.

Everything is upside down and yet the same. Yes Ive been back a month and it does seem a little LESS social than i remember but i believe its due to the amount of scripting.. whether its ATK or AFK people are doing. The grind seems to be so bad you get your killer scripts doing.. minimize your window and watch netflix lol.

I cant comment with any authority on that as im now just a fart in the wind @ level 55 but frig it. I needed something with more substance than WOW it got boring after my like 17th lvl 110... and DR definately has substance.

Take Elec's advice. Hit him up for any questions. He is awesome or at least has been for me.. getting me pointed in the right direction at least and helping me figure out the stupid Syntaxes ive forgotten over the past 10 years.

Anywho.. glad you poked around. Hope you stay for a bit.No mater which you decide.. glad i am to read your posts.

"You can have anything the world offers, so long as you have the strength to take it, the skill to steal it or the nerve to kill for it."

Dusk, Chosen of Damaris
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 12/14/2017 12:50 AM CST
Hey man. I remember you from the early days :)
-Psitry
Re: After14 Years I step back out of the Shadows 12/21/2017 12:39 PM CST
Great to see old players coming back. To me one of the biggest problems connecting now is jail always kills my gweth. How about a khri to protect our gweth charges? Last time I was in the Crossing Guild actually got to talk to some thieves, hope it's the start of a trend.

"Those who die heroic deaths are long remembered, thieves and drunks and cravens soon forgotten."
-Varys