Stealing very low 07/25/2017 09:22 PM CDT

Currently have 11 ranks. Love the guild, hate stealing. Stealing from the beggar is time consuming and aggravating. Stealing from shops is either very hard or, at least according to messaging, below my skill level and teaches nothing.

Please help.
Re: Stealing very low 07/26/2017 06:16 AM CDT
Pay for a second account. Teach yourself. That's what a lot of people seem to do.

Real answer is that up to about 30 ranks you'll want to steal water from the alchemist shop, and charcoal from the general store.

And that's it. You should be able to steal those two items 2-6 times, and learn OK. You'll get MARK at second level I think, which should help. If you don't have it, ask Kalag about magic. If I run past the beggar I'll steal 1-2 times but the NPCs are so irritating to use I don't bother.

Otherwise, get used to that kidney jab. Stealing sucks. You're going to get caught a lot, it's frustrating, expensive, and not very much fun.

But hey, magic users totally needed more spells, an entirely new research system, and a gath mysanda and a backlash absorber.
Re: Stealing very low 07/26/2017 09:17 AM CDT
>up to about 30 ranks you'll want to steal water from the alchemist shop, and charcoal from the general store.

Admitedly, I haven't started a new Thief since I put the changes to shoplifting difficulty in, but I remember there being more than the two things. Maybe flowers from the florist, one of the less expensive things from the Cleric shop, and a pick from the Bard Shop?

Check out https://elanthipedia.play.net/Zoluren_stealing_list for an idea of difficulty. I suggest sorting by value then by weight. Then use MARK to see if you can get away with some of the items low on that list.

>Stealing sucks. You're going to get caught a lot, it's frustrating, expensive, and not very much fun.

I made a lot of changes not that long ago to shoplifting to address some of this. I drastically lowered the rate of getting caught as well as increased the experience per item so you can lock faster. I'm sorry to hear you still find the system this unappealing.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Stealing very low 07/26/2017 12:21 PM CDT

Stealing learning is very doable without a second account early on. Steal many times from the same store to maximize what you learn each time you go, and train your agility early on. My thief started with zero ranks post recent shoplifting changes, for reference.

And while the pawnshop is beyond broken, (reset plz) the costs of learning your first 100 ranks is pretty low since you'll get the stocks almost every time.
Re: Stealing very low 07/26/2017 04:37 PM CDT
>I made a lot of changes not that long ago to shoplifting to address some of this. I drastically lowered the rate of getting caught as well as increased the experience per item so you can lock faster. I'm sorry to hear you still find the system this unappealing.

The best presentation of a dish which is unappealing is still not desired.

Your changes were, and are, quite good. It brought the system from 'something I dislike' to 'something I still dislike'.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/26/2017 06:45 PM CDT
Let's try not to go down the Guild vs. Guild path. Thanks.

Iristi
DragonRealms Board Monitor

Any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Iristi@play.net or Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/26/2017 11:03 PM CDT
> you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Zoluren. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 42 platinum, 1 gold, 7 silver, 7 bronze, and 1 copper.

I don't know who wouldn't love training stealing.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 12:57 AM CDT
Shoplifting sucks for a lot of reasons, and as it's currently the only expedient way to train thievery (that I know of), training thievery sucks by extension.

For someone just starting, and in Crossing, water from the alchemist, roses from the florist, charcoal from the general store, and once you're over 10 ranks you should consider moving up to bark/meat from the general store. At about 20 you can start branching out into other things like herbs from the cleric shop. At that point you kinda just have to explore for some low value, low weight things to steal. But yeah, it's gonna be a pain. In some ways it's even worse than training Trading, because while running caravans and doing crafting orders take way too long to lock Trading, you at least have other options like commodities pits, financing shops, and - my favorite because it involves interacting with strangers - selling pouches and bundles. The latter are the most fun and engaging ways to train trading, but are also unfortunately hit-or-miss since they rely on systems and people that are outside of your control.

I make the comparison because I think the solution to the training Thievery dilemma is to develop more methods of training for thieves (lower-case t.) Shoplifting shouldn't be the only way. One quick fix would be to just tweak/increase rates of gain from pick-pocketing. Brings the potential for abuse via risk-less pick-pocketing from alts or friends, but there's lots of stuff in the game that can be abused like this already (teaching, gamey/exploitative ways to train Empathy, we all know a few.) Not only that, but Thievery is pretty clearly a non-combat skill, and lots of non-combat skills can also gain experience relatively risk-free anyway. I mean, for comparison sake, how easy is it to lock Outdoorsmanship by just collecting rocks for a few minutes? Why not let people train by practicing pick-pocketing on each other? Are there good reasons? Genuinely interested.

Other solutions would just be feature suggestions and probably not for this thread.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 01:00 AM CDT
Sorry for the double-post, but wanted to clarify what I meant about training Trading via contracts being a pain. That's specifically at lower ranks of trading. Once you get well over 100 ranks, contracts become not so much a pain for training purposes anymore, but still take forever to lock the skill in comparison to most other skills.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 03:35 AM CDT
Good advice is given above on what to seriously look into for snagging from shops.

Stealing training used to be a massive pain to train. Even during the days of people standing in front of the bank yelling "Open Pockets". The classes taught by others in the old guildhall were usually interesting because you could ask questions and get them answered right there.

I havent done a lot of steal training since I reacquired Sok, heck a few people know where I stand in that skill so I havent looked into the changes to stealing to close. I will say a few things though...Remember, this is just my personal opinion...

Training stealing is a lesson in patience.

If you do a 'set' steal run, dont use a script made by someone else even if they have exactly what you need. By creating it yourself and making changes to it yourself as needed, you start getting a 'feel' for whats in your range and when its in your range. I dont like the progressive scripts Ive heard about that are available. Do it yourself, its more difficult, yes. But more rewarding with the sense of accomplishment.

Be prepared for fines. They will eventually get brutal.

Be prepared to complain about training this skill for a long time.

Me, I write my own scripts. Survival and combat. This way I know exactly what its doing and why. I currently have no steal runs built that Id use without big changes. To many changes have occurred in the code over the years and it will likely affect how those runs will work. So I will likely build a new one from scratch someday. I think my last single charge of stealing in Muspari brought a fine of 5 or 6 plat. As for complaining about training steal, thats just a given. However, even though I complain about the skill myself, when I created Sok originally I chose this guild for a couple of reasons. The biggest one being the challenge. Being a Dwarf and a Thief, BIG challenge. Add in stealing to the mix, Dwarves sure aint known for their agility. Stealing is a challenge to train. One I fully enjoy working through the challenge.

Being a thief aint easy. Training a Thief aint easy. Listen to the advice in posts above. good advice. Enjoy the challenge.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 03:58 AM CDT
Oh, one more quirk I've noticed. At very low ranks of stealing, the messages telling you how well it teaches are very inaccurate. For instance, with about 3 ranks of Thievery, stealing water will tell me that it's nearly trivial or thereabouts, despite each theft netting about 1 mindstate. Until you're somewhere around 50 ranks, possibly more, don't expect the learning messages to be too terrible accurate. While you're still a novice, just use them to judge whether something is too difficult. 'Nearly impossible theft' will still mean you probably shouldn't be trying to steal that.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 05:49 AM CDT
>dont use a script made by someone else even if they have exactly what you need.

I have never found this to be particularly good advice.

Some people enjoy creating and maintaining complex scripts (like Geniehunter). Either as community services, or just for the personal challenge. Or even to sell (as in, amusingly enough, certain stealing scripts).

But telling someone that to do X they must also learn to create complex scripts first, is a very large hurdle. There's nothing wrong with using the progressive stealing script off the wiki, or buying a script. I've never done either; my stealing was hand typed until I realized an hour or two in class was better than 5 hours stealing and prancing around 300 towns.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 10:18 AM CDT
I actually enjoy shoplifting. I write my own scripts for everything anyway, so occasionally updating my stealing script to tweak up the items I need to steal is not a huge deal for me. After the recent round of thievery tweaks, I lock up thievery midway through my Shard run, and can just about lock in Riverhaven. I no longer have to go to Muspar'i to steal which saves time and is very nice, previously that was the only place I could mind lock.

I don't use pawn shops, never did. I make way more money hunting and popping boxes, so why bother IMO. I always bin what I steal, always turn myself in at the end of a run when I get caught and succeed at an innocent plea more often than not, and if I start failing at that plea I just cool off and don't steal in that city for a couple days and I'm fine again. My fines are super low, always have been. I'm not sure what the prior poster did to rack up 42 plat fines, but I rarely pay more than a couple gold (and even that is for botching an innocent plea and getting caught before I surrender).

I don't listen to thievery classes or teach them, RP choice. I think that the suggestion to utilize that stealing list on the wiki is an excellent one for people learning the ropes. Use MARK. Experiment. Get a feel for what your character is capable of. This is one of those times when doing the work yourself will pay off for a long time. I'm still using the (very not complex) scripts I wrote years ago, I've just deleted shops here and there when they no longer have anything to teach me or uptweaked items as I needed to.

I get that a lot of people have this violent thing against training thievery, but it's just never been a thing for me. I also get that a fair number of you are going to skim this post and wave off what I say because you don't like me, so...oh well. I appreciate what Javac did for us, and I don't want him thinking no one does. So thank you, Javac.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 11:22 AM CDT
The stealing list is long outdated. There have been several major changes in shop inventory and many new shops have been added since the list was created. Not to mention the changes Javac made for shop stealing. Just go through the full epedia list, there's plenty of shops in Crossing alone.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/index.php?title=Special:Ask&offset=0&limit=250&q=%5B%5Bpage+type+is%3A%3Astore%5D%5D+%5B%5BFound+on+map%3A%3ARanikMap1%5D%5D&p=format%3Dul

<< I just cool off and don't steal in that city for a couple days and I'm fine again

I never turn myself in and see failed attempts several times a day. If i remember correctly the highest fine i've ever seen was 60 plats but since the latest thievery updates no higher than 3 plats. I haven't really changed the way i do my runs other than drastically reduce the number of shops i go through. I don't know, i'm pretty sure the 40 plat fines are a thing of the past now.

<< they must also learn to create complex scripts first

I wouldn't say you need complex scripts, unless you want it completely automated. Getting your inventory sorted does take some manual work.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/27/2017 09:53 PM CDT
>I appreciate what Javac did for us, and I don't want him thinking no one does. So thank you, Javac.

Seconded. Shoplifting has been much improved. I hope nothing I said makes anyone think I don't appreciate the effort.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/28/2017 02:52 AM CDT
>>>dont use a script made by someone else even if they have exactly what you need.

>>I have never found this to be particularly good advice.

>>Some people enjoy creating and maintaining complex scripts (like Geniehunter). Either as community services, or just for the personal challenge. Or even to sell >>(as in, amusingly enough, certain stealing scripts).

>>But telling someone that to do X they must also learn to create complex scripts first, is a very large hurdle. There's nothing wrong with using the progressive >>stealing script off the wiki, or buying a script. I've never done either; my stealing was hand typed until I realized an hour or two in class was better than 5 >>hours stealing and prancing around 300 towns.

Not trying to make any kind of argument, this is just a simple statement.

You seem to have missed that I clearly stated that its all my personal opinion.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/28/2017 05:56 AM CDT
>You seem to have missed that I clearly stated that its all my personal opinion.

This is in an advice thread. Any statements are inherently advice, like 'don't use scripts other people made'.

Preprending that with 'In my opinion' doesn't change the statement at all, you're still giving the advice not to use scripts someone else made. In fact, 'in my opinion' is redundant; everything in a non-fact-based statement is inherently opinion, and you won't be able to scientifically or empirically prove that statement.

And if you enjoy making scripts, that's great. But telling someone they absolutely must enjoy making scripts, and then make their own, to train a skill, puts a huge hurdle in front of the skill that doesn't need to be there.

So my response wasn't, in fact, directed at you. It was directed at OP, telling OP that while SOK's player enjoys X, it's not mandatory. Any more than my distaste for the stealing system is mandatory, as people like Dinnergirl and Jalika will point out. DR, especially the forums, is about balance. Some people loathe stealing, and some love it. Some love creating scripts and others just want to download one.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 07/31/2017 07:37 PM CDT
> I don't know, i'm pretty sure the 40 plat fines are a thing of the past now.

>fine upon you of 90 platinum, 5 gold, 2 silver, 4 bronze, and 5 copper.

Oh I wish, time to stop training thievery again for a few days.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 08/04/2017 11:33 AM CDT

>> I don't know, i'm pretty sure the 40 plat fines are a thing of the past now.

>>fine upon you of 90 platinum, 5 gold, 2 silver, 4 bronze, and 5 copper.

>>Oh I wish, time to stop training thievery again for a few days.

I'd be very curious to know what skill range and province you're training in racking up fines like that.
Re: Stealing very low ::Nudge:: 08/04/2017 12:05 PM CDT

700~ ranks in P1, crossing and its environs.