Poison quandary 08/16/2016 02:18 AM CDT
Howdy,
I tried my best at brewing some poison but knew something was amiss when alchemy stores no longer sold tincture jars. My character has a tincture jar and after a few attempts of making a poison and no results I tried to choose poison making in the Alchemy Society as a career and was informed "I am sorry, but we are not instructing crafters in the ways of that discipline, yet." I'm at a loss and since the Thieves Guild has never had a solid gathering of members in the guild since the guild location was put on the edge of The Crossing I have no fellow members to ask for any advice, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, why should a dry press not work on a viper sac, dobek stinger, etc?
Re: Poison quandary 08/16/2016 07:22 AM CDT
Short answer: because poison crafting is not in game yet.

It has to be rewritten for new crafting stuff, and is in a strange limbo. But since thieves don't have a 'team' or a GM, nothing thief ever gets touched.

I suspect you could make old poison recipes if you could get all the tools from pre-crafting-updates.

but hey, more microtrans events!
Re: Poison quandary 08/16/2016 10:06 AM CDT
Poison making doesn't exist as a craft yet. The poison recipe you're using is part of the old alchemy system and the ingredients aren't recognized by a lot of modern alchemy tools and processes.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Poison quandary 08/16/2016 10:30 AM CDT
Pretty much what everyone else has said. You are trying to use the new crafting system tools to craft something through the old system and that just isn't possible.

Old poison is still craftable though if you can gather all the tools needed. I was able to successfully make poison a few months back but it's pretty weak and not really worth using.
Re: Poison quandary 08/17/2016 07:42 PM CDT

Thanks for the help. I reactivated my account and I guess poison making will be on the back burner for a few years so I'll just search the vault and use what I have left carefully. Again, thanks.
Re: Poison quandary 08/17/2016 08:08 PM CDT
You might want to talk to some other thieves. I've never even tried to make poison, because I was always told it wasn't useful.

I suspect that even if you make a potent batch in the world of DR 3.0, it will not be very effective because of how the health system was reworked.

Bleeding/poison/etc. just don't seem to do much until you get someone to the point where they are critically injured anyway, and at that point you're going to kill them with another quick stab anyway.
Re: Poison quandary 08/17/2016 10:09 PM CDT
>Everything BADGOPHER said

This.

The last batch I made was fairly potent according to the appraisal numbers but when used it had a few strong pulses and just petered out. It wasn't worth the effort I put into it.

Reactants (poisons) are supposed to be the next crafting discipline to be coded according to Kodius's last time line, so we should hopefully see an update sooner than later.
Re: Poison quandary 02/13/2017 04:39 AM CST

You have to crush the material first, then dry it. Then the tincture works. I make poison the old way and it's pretty good at killing critters and players.