Stealth vs stealing 02/14/2016 09:21 PM CST
Does anyone know the exact interplay between shop stealing and stealth? I've heard a lot of stuff that I can't pin down, and didn't feel that the wiki was exceptionally clear.

Does hiding make shoplifting easier? Or does not-hiding make it more difficult? Does it only matter if hiding is above/below stealing?

What about NPC/PC stealing? Do I need to stalk? Does it add anything? I know you used to have to, but not for years now.

I've been experimenting with a few different ways to train stealing lately, and one was 'just disregard getting caught' so I've been not hiding, stealing riskier stuff and making more tries, etc. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like not-hiding does reward more exp for the same item/skill.
Re: Stealth vs stealing 02/14/2016 11:30 PM CST
You pretty much nailed it. Hiding makes the check easier. Not hiding makes it harder/reward more exp. But I mean, you are blatantly stealing in the open. So... Don't be surprised when you get caught more.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Stealth vs stealing 02/16/2016 02:51 PM CST
<< I've been experimenting with a few different ways to train stealing lately, and one was 'just disregard getting caught' so I've been not hiding

I don't have answers to your questions but if you're strictly talking about training then it's a bit of a moot point. If you want more exp then up your item difficulty and you should always hide for the extra stealth exp. You could argue that you can already lock your stealth in combat but you can always reorder your training routines so that you benefit from the stealth learning while stealing as well.
Re: Stealth vs stealing 02/16/2016 03:01 PM CST
>If you want more exp then up your item difficulty

Not always an option. Sometimes you've mostly capped a store, or you're in a gap.

>you should always hide for the extra stealth exp.

If your goal is to train stealth, yes. If your goal is to train stealing, then you should act to maximize stealing exp, which in some cases means not hiding, to change the difficulty.

>you can already lock your stealth in combat

Yes. I'm not really at all interested in stealth. It's stupid easy to train risk free.
Re: Stealth vs stealing 02/16/2016 03:26 PM CST
It's up to you but seems like you're wasting free exp.

I haven't experimented much lately but does not hiding make that much of a difference at all? I guess it saves you the 2 seconds of extra rt in every shop.
Re: Stealth vs stealing 02/17/2016 12:46 PM CST
Along this vine, some Thieves were talking and I haven't invested much time in-game to doing a just stealing run, but can someone confirm that just using steal one can gain Confidence?

No using hiding, just using stealing. Does that raise a character's confidence? Hopefully tonight, I'll have some time to get in-game and do a run or two to see if I can come up with some data.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.