Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 06/11/2014 02:21 PM CDT
If shops work as I think they work. IIRC, as you steal from a shop, a penalty is incurred for your next item, making it that much harder to make a successful grab on that attempt.. If this is the case, does anyone know, or have a base idea at how many attempts I should be making with 488 Thievery, and 61 Str/50 Agil? Right now I'm doing 2 per shop, but only hitting 18/32 experience after doing a run in Crossing and Leth, and am tired of getting multiplat fines, without maxing experience, which is the reason I stopped training it after circle chasing for 3.1. Also, is there a hard limit on the number of attempts regardless of experience?

Lastly, there still remains the random chance of simply being caught regardless of skill, and the cool down of approximately 1 hour for a given shop?
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 06/11/2014 02:52 PM CDT
Mark before each steal and it will tell you the heat level for the shop. As the heat level increase the chance of getting caught skyrockets. If the heat level is too great move on to the next shop. The heat level will decrease over time dropping back to zero after 1 hour. Depending on the shop and item, I steal 1 to 4 times. https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Mark has the different level of shop keeper attention (what I am calling heat). I leave the shop once I have reached the 4th level: "shopkeeper looks your way suspiciously".

There is always a chance of getting caught.
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 06/11/2014 09:45 PM CDT
>Mark before each steal and it will tell you the heat level for the shop

Okay, that did it, some shops remain at 2, others are now at 4-6. Also found I can still steal at "shopkeeper looks your way suspiciously" without any issue. Oh, and still like how this has never been fixed:

AFTER PLEADING, AND IN THE JUDGE ROOM
>rub k gweth
You rub your kyanite gwethdesuan.
>rub j gweth
You rub your jadeite gwethdesuan.
>info

OUTSIDE THE GUARD HOUSE
>rub k gweth
You rub your kyanite gwethdesuan.
A chorus of foreign thoughts joins your own.
>rub j gweth
[Assuming you mean an oaken door.]
You rub your jadeite gwethdesuan.
A cacophony of foreign thoughts joins your own.
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 06/21/2014 12:10 PM CDT
<< Lastly, there still remains the random chance of simply being caught regardless of skill, and the cool down of approximately 1 hour for a given shop?

Yes, i can confirm this. I have on occasion failed to steal a trivial item on the first grab.

<< but only hitting 18/32 experience after doing a run in Crossing and Leth

That's not too bad. I usually end up around ~22/34 with Crossing, Arthe and Leth.
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 07/04/2014 11:37 AM CDT
Could just be that I didn't min/max my opportunities there, but my experience started really dropping off in the xing area with regards to thievery when close to 500 ranks. My run hits leth, crossing, knife clan, arthe, then haven all in one swoop. It was capable of locking around those ranks, but it started to get tediously annoying with regards to capping out at shops, and having to make a bunch of pulls in one shop to get decent experience, particularly with so many shops in a massive run which takes a pretty long time.

If you can climb the undergondola, I highly recommend a shard/surrounding areas/horse clan run. Takes a fraction of the time of my leth/xing/haven run (even with travel to Shard and back), and gets the experience moving faster and better in my experience. Once you get to the point where you can lift from some of the harder areas in Horse clan you get a nice boost to exp too, which makes the range of stealing from that area extend. The only downside is that your run is cut down a little bit since half of Shard's shops close at night. At near 800 ranks it still locks me if I land every pull, and at least gets to 28/34 if I miss the hard ones, and only takes around 10-15 for the whole run.

Just my 2cp
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 07/04/2014 05:49 PM CDT
Also, making 6 pulls in a shop seems like a lot to me - unless you're at the very last item that you can steal from the shop, you're probably better off stealing something that is more difficult less times. I think everyone has their own preferences, but a lot of the time on my runs the things that move my stealing best are items that I steal only one time. Everyone has different ranges of comfort with what they want to steal, but taking some risks and getting some items that mark at an even chance of getting caught/stealing the item will probably teach much better than a nearly trivial item 6 times, particularly since you're probably taking a similar risk on the 6th attempt.
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 07/07/2014 02:24 AM CDT

If your useing that progressive stealing script, thats starts to slow around the 400's IIRC. After 400's i pretty much just stole from muspar'i. For a while, and i cant remember what the ranks were, but i was able to get a pretty good abount out of throne city that gave good exp really quickly. Might have been from around 450 to 500 or something, just doing the stones.

Rifkinn
Re: Time to update my stealing runs, can anyone remind me... 07/03/2015 03:13 PM CDT

This is how I trained stealing on non-thieves without mark and it worked pretty amazing.

I generally start with the hardest item I can steal, and only steal one of them. Then as I get more ranks/stats, I slowly add more to that number. I think I always stopped at 4-5 because that was the magic number for stealing from players or NPCS in where you always, I forgot exactly.

You should theoretically be able to take any item to trivial difficulty and still learn exp by simply stealing more of the item. So if you are border line trivial then 5-6 items.

And thieves get so many stealing bonuses, this should be fairly easy for you to train and not get arrested.