Poison Resistance 05/08/2013 10:44 PM CDT

Heyo!
Can someone explain poison resistance to me? I understand it is a "passive" skill, but do we need to, er, imbibe said poison in order to "build" our resistance? Or is the whole thing broken and just wait until Alchemy gets released?

Thanks for the help.
Re: Poison Resistance 05/09/2013 01:13 AM CDT
>I understand it is a "passive" skill, but do we need to, er, imbibe said poison in order to "build" our resistance? Or is the whole thing broken and just wait until Alchemy gets released?

As it stands currently, yes you do need to ingest or apply the poison in order to build resistance to it.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Poison Resistance 05/10/2013 09:48 PM CDT

I'm really curious about this too.

Having played my thief now for 6 years or so, I always thought it was just a passive skill that required really nothing of you (except knowing it), but recently people have been talking about it like its something that you need to "train".

I swear I've gone years without being poisoned and then I fail a poison/cyanide trap and it just flushes right out before I take any damage at all.

So either I've failed enough traps over the years that I have a very strong and permanent resistance, or it really doesn't require any developing.

Keep meaning to test this out somehow but I never do.
Re: Poison Resistance 05/10/2013 10:29 PM CDT
When you sweat the poison out, if you get a message along the lines of "and feel slightly stronger" that means that your resistance has improved for that poison type. Yamcer, I'm sure knows the answer to this though, so if he could chime in he could set ya all straight on this easily.

I don't believe resistance can ever go down, but that's just a guess.

Yamcer, where ya at?

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Poison Resistance 05/10/2013 10:30 PM CDT
<<or it really doesn't require any developing.>>

It requires developing. The messaging is subtle, but there is a point when you know you've gotten better.

I actually haven't seen it pop up on my screen since before 2007 though (My logs only go back that far.)

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Poison Resistance 05/10/2013 10:33 PM CDT
Oh and from my highlight strings.

Normal -> Your vision blurs slightly as a hot wave sweeps across your body. A thick sweat, which reeks of corruption, pours from your skin and leaves you gasping for breath. The feeling quickly passes, leaving you exhausted but strangely relieved.

Resistance Increase -> Your vision blurs slightly as a hot wave sweeps across your body. A thick sweat, which reeks of corruption, pours from your skin and leaves you gasping for breath. The feeling quickly passes, leaving you exhausted but somehow stronger.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Poison Resistance 05/11/2013 02:41 AM CDT

I always read those as:

>The feeling quickly passes, leaving you exhausted but somehow stronger.

You didn't purge it all in one go.

>feeling quickly passes, leaving you exhausted but strangely relieved.

You did purge it all in one go.

_____

Along the same vein didn't people think that analyzing was a hidden skill for a while because the message reads something like "your understanding grows"?

I'll have to dig out my oldest logs, back when I used to get poisoned. But they're seperate files for each day and that sounds like one heck of a slog.

You very well could be right, I am constantly wrong. I just don't see that as proof when it sounds like it could be just semantics.
Re: Poison Resistance 05/11/2013 08:50 AM CDT
Might be time to start reading them differently!
Re: Poison Resistance 05/23/2013 05:01 PM CDT
>>You didn't purge it all in one go.

You always purge it in one go, if you're poisoned multiple times in different areas you purge once for each area. I've never gotten the purge message and been left with poison in that area.