Stealing Factors 06/03/2012 11:40 AM CDT
Had a question about what factors into the success of stealing an item from a shop. The question arose when i was making a run through Ratha.

During the run, i had absolute top of my game 5/5 thief bonus, skulk going, no burden/armor and i was knocking over every shop on my run flawlessly, then i get to one of the last shops on the run, the jewler on the 3rd tier, which i usually steal 4 relatively easy items from with no issues. First attempt at stealing something way below my skill level that barely taught anyways...the shopkeeper caught me nabbing the item.

So, my question is: Is there just always a random chance to fail, no matter how easy the item is and how skilled the thief is?
Re: Stealing Factors 06/03/2012 01:24 PM CDT
Stupid question, but did you steal and stow, so that you had a burden by the time you got down to the jeweler?

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/03/2012 03:14 PM CDT
No burden. I run light enough that i'm still unburdened at the end of my run.

And actually, while i'm thinking about it...currently my first stop is Namazzi's Ship Goods to steal a duffel bag which i then proceed to store all the stolen items in from the rest of my run.

Currently i take out each individual stolen item to bin individually. Would i get the same rep increase if i just threw the entire duffel bag full of stolen goods into the bin?
Re: Stealing Factors 06/03/2012 03:34 PM CDT
<<Would i get the same rep increase if i just threw the entire duffel bag full of stolen goods into the bin?>>

There is no mechanic that I know of that gives rep for bulk binning. It has been discussed and asked for several times though.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Stealing Factors 06/04/2012 12:35 AM CDT
My guess is you just got snake eyes. It is fairly rare, but I've been tracking all my stealing runs very closely for the past 50 ranks, and I get nabbed on the easy ones once in awhile, too.

GENT
Re: Stealing Factors 06/05/2012 07:50 PM CDT
Yes, there is always a random chance to fail and you will never grow out of it. With enough skill it becomes quite rare, though.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/05/2012 09:12 PM CDT
>>Yes, there is always a random chance to fail and you will never grow out of it. With enough skill it becomes quite rare, though.

Wrong.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Stealing Factors 06/06/2012 07:37 AM CDT
Which part. Just saying wrong is worse than just giving out false information. You imply you know the truth but don't deem us poor mortals worthy of knowing.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/06/2012 07:45 AM CDT
The entire statement. Snake-eyes (critical failure chance regardless of skill) has repeatably been stated to be removed.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Stealing Factors 06/06/2012 07:51 AM CDT

And how recent is this change? The last I could find (admittedly I haven't looked hard, elanthipedia is easier than the boards) is this: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Stealing_-_2/10/2011_-_23:07:03 a little more than a year ago.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/06/2012 10:19 AM CDT
So if snake-eyes has been removed, do you have any guesses as to what i'm doing that caused the fail on that particular steal? one of the easiest items on the run AND it was the first attempt in that shop, so no multi-attempt penalties to success. No armor being worn, no burden and confidence was at least 4/5 but probably 5/5 during the whole run. Just recently came back and i'm trying to get a good feel of my thief's abilities and how hard i can push myself. things like this seem to keep popping up and throwing a wrench into the cogs.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/06/2012 10:32 AM CDT
Snake Eyes hasn't been removed, it's just become more like 1/360 instead of 1/36
Re: Stealing Factors 06/07/2012 07:27 AM CDT
I stand corrected. I swore it was during Royce's tenure, but given Z's post, (and I can't find anything else about it), it seems I was wrong.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Stealing Factors 06/07/2012 09:41 AM CDT
As long as we get the right answer eventually, its all good, right? Thanks to everyone for helping figure this one out :)
Re: Stealing Factors 06/07/2012 10:49 PM CDT
You can still get critical failure, "Snake Eyes," it was just defanged some to make the worst possible failure less punitive than before.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/08/2012 04:27 PM CDT
>>During the run, i had absolute top of my game 5/5 thief bonus, skulk going, no burden/armor and i was knocking over every shop on my run flawlessly, then i get to one of the last shops on the run, the jewler on the 3rd tier, which i usually steal 4 relatively easy items from with no issues. First attempt at stealing something way below my skill level that barely taught anyways...the shopkeeper caught me nabbing the item.

Did you mark after being caught to find out your "heat" level in that shop?

The one thing noone's mentioned in this thread so far is wounds. The only time I ever get caught really early / easily, before the heat's made it seem "beyond foolish" to steal, I've gone to an empath and every time I have a wound that wasn't noticeable to me. These cases I can even steal successfully right after being caught.

Other than wounds, stealing is remarkably reliable in my experience. I've also never noticed a burden penalty, but there might be a slight one.

Anyways, on anything that I steal that I (accurately) notice gives me less than "closer eye on you" attention from the shopkeeper after one steal, I've never been caught on the first steal. I'm a chronic marker too.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/09/2012 10:25 AM CDT
I usually only mark the first shop right before i start my stealing run just to make sure the hour timer is expired. I also have a pet empath i keep around to make sure i dont have any invisible wounds. I try to keep myself as pristine as possible when going on stealing runs. Just for the heck of it the other day, i let my confidence drain down to neutral 0/5 and then went on a run. got caught 3 times on the run and thrown in jail, so i'm definitely paying attention to the smirk results before stealing too.

I also added a few counters into my script to help me tell how often i'm being seen. As long as i have full confidence and no wounds/armor/burden i can get through a run stealing a total of 50 items without getting caught...most of the time. I still get seen randomly though.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/13/2012 12:28 PM CDT

>I swore it was during Royce's tenure...

Wrong
Re: Stealing Factors 06/13/2012 01:24 PM CDT
LoL, troll/irony fail.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Stealing Factors 06/13/2012 08:01 PM CDT
>>Wrong

...Thank you so much for your valuable input. Something may be wrong, but stating something is wrong without any explaination is a worthless waste of forum space. If that's all you're good for, dont post at all.

Thanks to everyone else that did provide valuable feedback to this post tho :)
Re: Stealing Factors 06/13/2012 09:45 PM CDT

Wrong to ask for explanation
Re: Stealing Factors 06/14/2012 12:18 AM CDT
>>Wrong to ask for explanation

Wrong.
Re: Stealing Factors 06/14/2012 07:29 AM CDT
Wasn't during the Royce era, Royce left sometime in 2002 I believe.

alsthough this post appeared in "ask the GMs" in 2005 when Risek was still Thief GM:

<<SNAKEEYES:
Getting rid of this was a priority at one point. Any word on it now? It still bothers me like no other.

"I shunned the face of man; all sound of joy or complacency was torture to me; solitude was my only consolation -- deep, dark, deathlike solitude."

"The Dark Death"

DR-NATALA

Ignore Author
Email Author Re: Snake Eyes on 04/05/2005 07:31 PM EDT
303 Reply
Still planned.

It was Z who actually eliminated Snake-eyes when he rewrote stealing, which was released in late 2006.

By the way, in looking back in the old, old 2004 posts, there were supposed to be thief passages released on ratha. I guess these got lost???

- Natala
"It's hard to be a bastion of holiness and the light when you're crouching furtively behind a crate."
- GameMaster Armifer

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Stealing Factors 06/14/2012 08:09 AM CDT
I know I violently disagree with you a lot, but would you mind, when posting quotes, using the > function, and previewing them? I appreciate you digging into the folders and finding information, but it's very hard to understand what you just spent your time finding because it's garbled.

Also, do you have a post where Z actually said he removed it? All the proof you've provided just says it was planned to be done as late as 2005. Not that it was done.

Re: Stealing Factors 06/14/2012 09:43 AM CDT

Again, I point to this post on 2/10/2011 that indicates its still very much alive, assuming critical failure and snake eyes refer to the same thing. http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Stealing_-_2/10/2011_-_23:07:03