Stealing Timer question 01/29/2011 04:34 PM CST
Ok, so the timer for stealing from a shop is like 1 hour. Does that hour go by only IG or can it be time spent logged off?

>>"It's part of the whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal."<<

-Armifer
Re: Stealing Timer question 01/29/2011 04:46 PM CST
<<Does that hour go by only IG or can it be time spent logged off?>>

In game.

It is easily tested using mark.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Stealing Timer question 01/29/2011 04:49 PM CST
Cool, thanks. Mark will tell you what exactly about the timer? Just that you won't learn from this pilfer or will it tell you how much time is left?

>>"It's part of the whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal."<<

-Armifer
Re: Stealing Timer question 01/29/2011 04:59 PM CST
<<Mark will tell you what exactly about the timer?>>

It will tell you if the timer is currently in effect for that shop.

So steal from a shop. Mark an item. Log out for an hour+ and then go back to the shop and mark an item. Should still say you recently stole and are being watched.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Stealing Timer question 01/29/2011 05:54 PM CST
>Just that you won't learn from this pilfer or will it tell you how much time is left?

The timer doesn't affect learning (as far as I'm aware), it affects your chance of getting caught.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/01/2011 01:42 AM CST
>>The timer doesn't affect learning (as far as I'm aware), it affects your chance of getting caught.

Well, sort of. If you steal inside the timer you are more likely to get caught, and you gain more experience from it. Greater chance of being caught means more rewards (experience-wise)
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/01/2011 04:26 AM CST
>>Well, sort of. If you steal inside the timer you are more likely to get caught, and you gain more experience from it. Greater chance of being caught means more rewards (experience-wise)

Not really. Experience is calculated off of base difficulty.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/01/2011 07:38 AM CST
>>Not really. Experience is calculated off of base difficulty.

Unless something has changed, you always get more experience if you happen to get caught and manage to steal right afterward. Or at least that's what I've noticed.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/01/2011 08:00 AM CST
>>Unless something has changed, you always get more experience if you happen to get caught and manage to steal right afterward. Or at least that's what I've noticed.

Have you tested this at least psuedo-scientifically, or are you perhaps falling victim to confirmation bias?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/02/2011 07:23 AM CST
It would be interesting to see this confirmed by some actual testing. Although, the more you steal the greater the risk is of getting caught. The same idea as stealing without hiding is a higher risk. I have noticed an increased experience gain by not hiding while stealing. I will test some of this my next stealing run, but I am pretty sure there is some sort of risk/reward experience factor other than just base difficulty.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/02/2011 07:50 AM CST
So this is a little more difficult to test than I originally thought. I think the only way to be semi-conclusive would be to run the exact same stealing route twice, once hidden and once in the open. I did some small scale testing but I don't learn enough per steal to make the results even remotely conclusive.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/02/2011 03:34 PM CST
I was at Vegas Con a while back and talked with Zeyurn. He said steal twice from shops and so I do.

Yamcer

Re: Stealing Timer question 02/02/2011 04:22 PM CST
Which very well may the best route. I can say if there is an increase it's not extreme. One test I did was to steal an HE from the weapon shop. It marked as candy from a baby, and waltz out. I successfully stole it 5 times in a row and stayed 8/34 through all of them. On the 6th attempt I came out of hiding and had another successful attempt which brought me 9/34. I'm guessing any successful attempt would of added enough bits to put me at 9/34 at that point.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/02/2011 05:05 PM CST
My experience is the exact opposite, that you gain the most exp on the first grab and gradually less on every subsequent (harder) theft.

This is very easy to test with a noob who will visibly gain 4 mindstates on the first grab or two, 3 on the next one or two, 2 on the next, etc.

In fact the last one or two grabs that only increase one mindstate are a good indicator of when to stop before being caught.

~ Pansophist Kougen
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/05/2011 08:23 PM CST
Well crap. I remember the discussion and testing about it but I can't find it so I'm not entirely sure if it was before the last stealing change. One of these days I'll test it.

Test: Clear mindstate with a favor orb. Steal once (unhidden so there is no exp gain from hiding), see how many rubs until clear again. Steal again, repeat. Do this until caught in the shop and steal one more time. If someone has a better suggestion for this please let me know.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/06/2011 04:35 AM CST
>>(unhidden so there is no exp gain from hiding)

Not really required (below). Also it may be good to test both hidden and unhidden.

Sleep
hide
awake
Steal
rub

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/07/2011 02:54 PM CST
Kougen's right.

The one-hour timer not only penalizes chances of getting caught but also experience. You don't learn MORE from additional grabs, you learn LESS (with more risk).

But I know I've posted that before, so I'm sure the urban legend about learning more after getting caught will persist.
Re: Stealing Timer question 02/07/2011 05:44 PM CST
I'll still stick to two grabs, because while you may learn less then the first grab, you learn more than no grab.

Yamcer