More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 01:25 PM CDT
The hour timer: Is this strictly for learning or is it for increasing\decreasing difficulty?

When you steal an item from hidden, can you (in most cases(minus the snake eyes)) relatively steal an item over and over safely until you get the "being watched" message?
I tried it a couple of times with success but was wondering why I get this message, instead of just getting caught?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 01:41 PM CDT
>The hour timer: Is this strictly for learning or is it for increasing\decreasing difficulty?

The timer is about difficulty. You always learn from a successful shoplift.
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 01:49 PM CDT
<<The timer is about difficulty. You always learn from a successful shoplift.>>

And artificially inflating the difficulty by stealing multiple times in that hour doesn't give you more experience per steal.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 02:39 PM CDT
>>I tried it a couple of times with success but was wondering why I get this message, instead of just getting caught?

It means you only failed the check by a little bit, kinda like seeing the signs of someone in the shadows when you search them.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 06:51 PM CDT
Thanks for the info.....so let me get this straight, just to be clear.

I go into the general store.

I steal piece of flint

If I keep stealing over and over again I will end up getting caught eventually because each steal in the same shop gets harder unless I wait for 1 hour.....after the last steal there?

Is the timer at all forgiving for less than an hour?

For example, I steal something 4 times, wait 55 minutes and come back and steal the same thing one more time. Does this steal count as if I stole 5 things back to back to back without leaving AND ALSO restarts your timer again from 0?

Thanks again.

Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 07:02 PM CDT
>>For example, I steal something 4 times, wait 55 minutes and come back and steal the same thing one more time. Does this steal count as if I stole 5 things back to back to back without leaving AND ALSO restarts your timer again from 0?

From what I've tested, it does appear to be a decaying timer.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 07:26 PM CDT
<<From what I've tested, it does appear to be a decaying timer.>>

It is not, The timer resets after 1 hour of not stealing in that shop. wait 59 minutes and steal again. Timer resets and difficulty does not

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 08:17 PM CDT
>It is not, The timer resets after 1 hour of not stealing in that shop. wait 59 minutes and steal again. Timer resets and difficulty does not

90% sure you're wrong there. For items I'm barely able to steal i'm guarenteed to fail if i steal again immediately, but its immensely easier 30 minutes later.

When i'm at post-wall ranks I often make steal runs every half an hour isntead of 1 hour and i can do it indefinitely jsut fine.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: More stealing questions... 03/21/2009 08:38 PM CDT
>>90% sure you're wrong there. For items I'm barely able to steal i'm guarenteed to fail if i steal again immediately, but its immensely easier 30 minutes later.

When i'm at post-wall ranks I often make steal runs every half an hour isntead of 1 hour and i can do it indefinitely jsut fine.>>

Ok, I just got done timing my stealing run gaps.....I have a script that has been running for the last several hours. It does a bunch of things, one of these stealing...

The gap between my runs was 39 minutes this last time. its pretty safe to assume all the gaps are right around that time (except probably the first).

I examined my latest log, and it ran through my stealing run 6 times so far and I just watched my latest run and I did not get caught at all.

So I am going to agree with the decaying time theory, unless I can steal something 22 times in a row that teaches without getting caught......this is at 64 ranks of stealing right now. It was 61 when the script was started.

....this is also assumiing nothing else resets the timer (like ranking up etc)

Re: More stealing questions... 03/24/2009 11:03 AM CDT
The timer lasts an hour but the difficulty does decay. Thieves can see this in the MARK messaging. Try stealing something that is a challenge, then MARKing at intervals of 10-20 minutes and you will see the change in difficulty.

Synyster Shadowmaiden