New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 09:40 AM CST

Great advice! Thanks swamp buddy lol! Started a new thread didn't even realize that. I'm definitely new.

I'd like to clarify just a few things - my character (I have one other) would never steal from an Empath or cleric. Thieves... well we're thieves right? I don't get upset when I get pickpocketed (not that I could do anything about it) but I wouldn't piss off other guild members intentionally. My experience is we all steal from each other and dont really care. I've actually never fought another thief.

As far as death...Yup. That's why the advice is helpful. It didn't ruin the experience though. I'd say the player wasn't being abusive or even OOC. If a thief hanging out pisses off a powerful wizard it kind of makes sense what happened. I won't say I was happy about it, but that's part of it too. What's a good story if it's all sunshine and rainbows?
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 11:27 AM CST
<< I don't get upset when I get pickpocketed (not that I could do anything about it) but I wouldn't piss off other guild members intentionally. My experience is we all steal from each other and dont really care.

As far as i've ever heard the open pocket policy only applies within guild limits but there is nothing stopping you from stealing outside the guild obviously. I think a thief would mind as much as anyone else but the only reason i specifically mentioned thieves is that they will be able to chase you down in areas where others would not and lets not forget, thieves also make the most difficult targets on the count of their thievery ranks (of course doesn't matter if your only intention is getting caught).

<< would never steal from an Empath or cleric.

I don't know, does that rule even apply anymore? I'm sure both empaths and clerics can take care of themselves in a conflict situation. I don't think you would get much "heat" from guild for stealing from either of those two but i guess out of old habit this might lead to a bit of an angry lynching mob situation. Especially since most empaths are really well connected and always married to big bullies.
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 11:42 AM CST
I can understand some folks not wanting to steal from empaths, but not clerics. However I love stealing from both. I won't steal from empaths or clerics in a triage area however.
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 03:31 PM CST
>> Just being open is reason enough.

Not to weigh in on whether this was actually the case (I don't know) but this isn't the same as it being provoked.

>> thieves also make the most difficult targets on the count of their thievery ranks

Wasn't this changed so Thievery is no longer a factor in these contests for the defender?

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 03:53 PM CST
>> thieves also make the most difficult targets on the count of their thievery ranks

>>Wasn't this changed so Thievery is no longer a factor in these contests for the defender?

It was changed but Thievery ranks still factor into defending against pickpocketing. IIRC more Thievery ranks makes it hard to grab coins while Perception ranks determine if they will spot you or not.
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 04:02 PM CST

as a small thief I kind of sought out like minded players and developed friendships and alliances. turns out after some time I really didn't have to worry about anyone messing with me too much for they know they are gonna have to pay. one thing to know is that sometimes pvp in dr isn't some long roleplayed out scenerio. if you are pvp open you can and will get killed for nothing at times. you have to accept that. If you don't like that just change to PVP guarded as being guarded gives you a nice layer of protection from harm. in general the pvp open community regulates itself. you might be on the beating end at times and as a new player people are gonna test you but if you stick with it conflicts have a way of fixing yourself. its a much better option than doing what the majority of the former pvp open community does and goes closed or guarded. I can't tell you the number of times I've killed a PVP open character only to have them show up guarded or closed the next day.

but i think you are doing it right. just figure out who is who. make a pvp open friend or two that might be able to help. i was pvp open as a young thief myself and its been a fun enjoyable ride. you are gonna lose a bunch but you win your fair share too. also be ready to deal with the number of guarded players who enjoy being able to PVP safely against someone with lesser skills.

startegy wise its tough given your circle but Khri Vanish is probably my biggest lifeline. Same with Calm, and serenity in a pinch. Some keep working magic its really gives you an edge at getting away fast and unnoticed. also try to move around quickly. if you are getting a bad rep and people know where to find you it makes it alot easier to get killed.
Re: New post PVP suggestions 02/08/2016 04:34 PM CST

Read the PVP guide it's hysterical. Look for people afk kill them and then log off. He's a DR serial killer! As for people killing you just for being open... I was open when I played years ago (I don't know if I had a choice) and for the last few months. I've never been in a PVP without SOME in game motivation behind it - someone killing just for fun deserves to be locked open at a minimum. The logging out just to avoid consequences is the worst part IMO. If your character is a serial killer fine - but RP it out. When you're cornered go down swinging. I don't log out after pick pocketing when I get hunted I roll with it. Eventually I have things to do, but I wouldn't hit and log.