Shaydee's Enforcement Lecture 07/06/2007 08:49 PM CDT
Also, in response to the person who asked a question about the code. I remembered that Shaydee once gave a lecture about the subject of enforcing the code. Log follows.

>Shaydee's Enforcement Lecture

A Business-like Halfing says, "Ahem! If everyone quiets down...Shaydee can get this underway.”

Shaydee says, “Courses of Action.”

Shaydee says, “The question of tonight's lecture is what to do if you find someone revealing Thief secrets.”

Shaydee says, “The worst crime a Thief can commit is to betray his own guild. In the words of Kalag the Black, 'The city is ours to move through like fish through water. What we steal is ours, and woe to the one who crosses our path or,' his eyes narrow, 'betrays our guild. The fellowship of Thieves is all. To betray that is to betray yourself. Also remember,' Kalag says, 'that all Thieves are your brothers and sisters. They have all been in situations similar to yours, or will be. We stick together,' he punctuates his words with a harsh scrape of whetstone against steel and a direct gaze, 'for we are the only ones who understand each other.'"

Shaydee says, “This does not mean that anyone who joins our guild is a brother or sister. Many join for the wrong reasons and are not true thieves in thier hearts. Respect takes time to earn. Most Thieves who reveal a Thief secret are young to the guild and simply did not listen to Kalag when they joined."

Shaydee darkly says, “They need to be educated.”

A suave Thug grins.

A smelly Ruffian grins at Shaydee.

A grinning Rogue smiles a bit too fiercely.

A dark-clad stalker grins.

Shaydee says, “At this point I would like to clarify what is a 'Thief Secret.'"

A silent Shadow nods to Shaydee.

Shaydee says, “Pretty much everything about the Thief guild is considered top secret. The obvious things are the guild location, password and the location of the tunnels. The less obvious things are any thief skill including poison, Khri, and any other ability given to us. If Thief secrets are to be discussed outside the guild, they should be whispered or (censored). Several problems arise with guild security, the main one being that we all have 'Brother and sister' personalities that will learn our secrets as we learn them. It’s important to always separate these relatives from ourselves and keep the pact your Thief makes with Kalag.”

Shaydee says, “Another problem is that many young Thieves will come here... get bored after a while, and then move on to another guild -- taking our knowledge with them. This is why I oppose telling guild secrets EVEN TO FELLOW THIEVES. I will only tell them what I feel they should know for thier level and nothing more.”

A grinning Rogue nods solemnly to Shaydee.

Shaydee darkly asks, “So what should one do if they see a fellow thief blabbing a secret?”

Shaydee says, “Well, the first thing is to remind them that they should not be speaking of this in public. You should do this using (censored) or whispers. Most Thieves will listen and stop the betrayal. The question now is... should they be punished? My answer is yes... depending on the severity of thier crime.”

Shaydee says, “Not so long ago I caught a very young Thief in the act of telling a Commoner outside our guild how to gain entrance. I stalked him to the pawn shop and dragged him aside to ask him why he did this. He could give me no good reason and did not seem to realize the seriousness of what he done. He had no remorse and had a cocky attitude about it. What could I do?”

Shaydee says, “It is useless to put yourself in a situation that will cause a potential lock up (in other words engage in a PvP). I gave this Thief a chioce of three options.

1. Assassination at my hand,
2. I would tell everyone in the guild I could see his name and what he had done until he was hated far and wide or,
3. He could stand before Kalag and confess his crimes to the “Boss”.

He stupidly chose option number three. He figured that since Kalag is usually so quiet and always ignores him, that he would be safe. However, a silent message (report to the GM's) from me to Kalag caused him to pay attention and watch. He intimidated the Thief with harsh words and cold stares, and told him to get out of his sight! I've never seen a Thief run so fast...”

Shaydee says, “I later found the thief beaten and stunned (naturally Kalag sent out the Thugs). The terrified Thief finally realized the horror of what he had done. Kalag achieved what I probably could have never done. Not sure if this Thief is still with the guild, but I don't suppose he will ever slip a secret again.”

Shaydee says, “This method might not always work, but it is better to try than to find yourself in trouble with the law. You cannot be an effective thief from the inside of a cell.”

Shaydee says, “The steps to effective enforcement are as follows:

1. Educate the betrayer. Tell him what he is doing is wrong and why. Usually if he says 'I didn’t realize' I simply say do better in the future and leave him alone but keep a watchful eye out for him. If I catch him doing it again, I will make no hesitation to back stab and give a second warning. If he comes back with an attitude... I move to step two.

2. Lay out the options to the betrayer of how he can make amends for his crime, or what you feel is suitable punishment for the betrayal. Some will just scoff at you and run... turn it over to Kalag at that point. Others will take you seriously and choose an option. If they choose to ignore the problem, feel free to mention it to every Thief you find."

A smirking Gnome asks, “How do you turn it over to Kalag?”

Shaydee says, “Well... that's kind of an OOC issue...you REPORT or ASSIST.”

Shaydee says, “3. Implement the action. Hopefully it won’t end in death... it doesn’t need to end in death. I would prefer the end result to be that the Thief learns from the mistake and betters himself. The greatest Thieves are made this way. Most of us older Thieves have been hit by Kalag’s thugs at least once.”

Shaydee says, “Some betrayals come with thier own punishments. One example of this is to backstab a citizen in the public eye. The result of this action is as follows:

Schvartzgonif winces.

Out of nowhere, a voice whispers in your ear, 'So, you enjoy using our special skills to settle your petty grievances? Well, the leaders of our brotherhood have grown tired of the heat your actions are creating and have sent me to deliver a warning to you.'

Suddenly, a horrible pain tears into your back as an unseen hand drives a dagger deep into your body. Through the waves of agony, you hear a voice exclaiming, 'Thus fare all who bring dishonor upon the brotherhood!' You hit the ground in agony.”

Shaydee says, “Another form of betrayal is when Thieves sell weapons from Ambika’s wagon or items from our Thief shop. These Thieves are being dealt with by the Dark Assassin and 'The Rattler.' If you see these weapons being sold... you can 'REPORT Attention Dark Assassin: (name) is selling the following Ambika item, (name of weapon) at (location).'”

Shaydee says, “The Dark Assassin sees and knows all. He knows where each and every item belonging to the Shadow Guild is. He will approach any non-Thief who holds such a weapon or any Thief who attempts to sell such a weapon. All we need to do is inform him of the problem.”

Shaydee says, “Okay now any questions I'll try and answer."

A hooded Brigand asks, “What should we do about non-Thieves who report our guild location in public or give away other secrets..?”

Shaydee says, “I was told to report.”

Shaydee says, “But...”

Shaydee says, “They're gunna get sick of us reporting every fiddly thing.”

Shaydee says, “So...”

Shaydee says, “Only report the big things...Don't report some Thief saying 'Hey, I just learned to (censored)!' But do report someone telling a commoner how to get in the Thief guild... Or use your imagination like I did.”

Shaydee says, “I did report... but I did it after I brought him to Kalag. So I used a role play way out of it. Plus some help from the GMs.”
Back

GM Zeyurn: He gets so much done that people actually complain.