A Request for Z 06/28/2007 07:23 AM CDT
I know he reads these thief boards and replies on them the most so I figure I'll throw this out here. I've put it in the conflicts folder because I expect a lot of hate on this one.

Actually I expect a whole lot of hate from this buuuuuuut I don't care.

I'd like to see a timer on re-hiding with the sole exception of doing that dirt ambush which throws you back in. Minimum time to find a hiding spot again is 5 seconds.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 07:31 AM CDT
And your request is denied.

Just because you can't handle not seeing someone when they re-hide on you, doesn't mean another timer should come and nerf what we just got.

and if you're complaining about afk scripts that hide and rehide for hiding exp, REPORT THEM FOR AFK SCRIPTING.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 10:54 AM CDT
I'm not sure why you'd post this in conflicts? Assuming you had a generally good justification for this request, and it wasn't ZOMG-nerf-hiding hysteria, then it would have been a good debate in the abilities folder. That said, what are you even talking about? I'd like to see a timer on magic spells too, particularly DB and frostbite/CL, and I'd love one on roars. But from a game balance/fun perspective, that's ridiculous to me.

There's already "timers" in effect for hiding, including a point effect that lasts far longer than 5 seconds, and the always-fun "You haven't had enough time yet" re-hide thing. The anti-stealth bias rampant in your posts around the board reek of paranoia and ignorance. Are you both too lazy to juggle and also too dense to understand the myriad anti-stealth abilities available to every guild? Except traders, I think they may be the only guild that doesn't have an ability/spell able to directly counteract hiding.

That's not to mention the other tools available in game, Garden Vision enchantments and thug powders, both items that can instantly nullify hiding or invisibility. From your general whining concerning hiding, and bows, I think you must be pretty unhappy with your char choices. Reroll. Juggle. Train a bow. Quit whining.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 12:48 PM CDT
<<Except traders, I think they may be the only guild that doesn't have an ability/spell able to directly counteract hiding.

I know this is the conflicts folder, but I'll attempt to seek advice anyway. What ability/spell do rangers have to counteract hiding?

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

"Sabbra Caddabra" your skill/title/ability is now mine.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 12:49 PM CDT
Haha. He said with the sole-exception of ambush screen, as if that's gonna make his post/request any better.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 01:14 PM CDT
>I know this is the conflicts folder, but I'll attempt to seek advice anyway. What ability/spell do rangers have to counteract hiding?

The ranger bonus naturally boosts perception, and the wolf scent spell boosts it as a secondary effect.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 01:45 PM CDT
<<The ranger bonus naturally boosts perception, and the wolf scent spell boosts it as a secondary effect.

So do ranks in perceptions. Are we saying traders don't have perception ranks?

Anyway, I meant more along the lines of Chain Lightning or that thief "I can toss dust everywhere and ruin your hiding even though you'd think if it were dusty it'd be even harder to see hidden people" ability.

I guess the answer to my question is that rangers don't have one.

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 02:12 PM CDT
>So do ranks in perceptions. Are we saying traders don't have perception ranks?

No, traders don't have a way to boost their perception as one of their guild abilities. If boosting perception doesn't count as a defense against hiding, then very few guilds have a defense against hiding.

>Anyway, I meant more along the lines of Chain Lightning or that thief "I can toss dust everywhere and ruin your hiding even though you'd think if it were dusty it'd be even harder to see hidden people" ability.

Barbarians have whirlwind, warrior mages have frb, tks, and shockwave, moon mages have TKS, bard enchantes still work. I think for the other guilds you need to be able to see the hider.

I think most people see hiding defense as perception, and there you have paladins with clarity, clerics with revelation, wms with earth sense, thieves with khri sight, bards with eye of kertigen, barbarians have dance eagle (weak), rangers have bonus + WS (also on the weak side), moon mages have clear vision, empaths have perceive health (different, but infallible), which just leaves traders out in the cold.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 02:18 PM CDT
If you use a CV rune, wolf scent, and have an out of town bonus you probably have as big a perception boost as anyone.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 02:27 PM CDT
<<Barbarians have whirlwind, warrior mages have frb, tks, and shockwave, moon mages have TKS, bard enchantes still work. I think for the other guilds you need to be able to see the hider.

Yeah, I find a CV rune works insanely better than any WS I've ever cast. I'd love to be able to affect someone in hiding that I can't see (ala: chain lightning, or tossing dirt) though.

Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 02:41 PM CDT
<<If you use a CV rune, wolf scent, and have an out of town bonus you probably have as big a perception boost as anyone.

And yet even if I still couldn't see someone hidden with 700 effective perceptions, a WM with 0 ranks could still potentially hit that same person (and pull them out of hiding?). That's one helluvah boost and they don't even need a runestone. But, I was just curious if Rangers had something similar that I was unaware of. Apparently not.

Thanks for the info you two... um, wimps! May your characters die horrible deaths that risk losing altered items! mwahaha Nah... just dying horrible deaths is enough.

Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 03:25 PM CDT
<<What ability/spell do rangers have to counteract hiding?>>

I had assumed that perception prime skill-set and access to stackable CV/WS was pretty much as good as it gets, in terms of mundane anti-stealth capabilities. You're right though, it's no AOE.

I think you may be confused about Ambush Screen aka the dirt of doom you refer to. It only works at pole or melee range, so generally you have to already be able to see someone in order to use it. Given that we can act on hidden now...it is not particularly useful in the same way as before (as a safer substitute for pointing).
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 03:29 PM CDT
umm.. last I checked ambush SCREEN doesn't need you to see someone.. it needs them to be a pole or closer to you.. as Screen pulls hiders in combat with you out of hiding and lets you go into hiding..

I believe you are thinking of ambush SIGHT.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 03:48 PM CDT
<<umm.. last I checked ambush SCREEN doesn't need you to see someone.. it needs them to be a pole or closer to you.. as Screen pulls hiders in combat with you out of hiding and lets you go into hiding..

These are things I did not know. Thanks for the info. I love thieves now. They have all kinds of awesome stuff.

Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 04:23 PM CDT
<<umm.. last I checked ambush SCREEN doesn't need you to see someone.. it needs them to be a pole or closer to you.. as Screen pulls hiders in combat with you out of hiding and lets you go into hiding..>>

Ah, okay, you're looking at using it defensively, i.e. spamming it repeatedly as someone advances you that you can't see. That's...not the general use I was referring to. If you know of a way to actively get to melee or pole range on someone in hiding without seeing them, please let me know. But thanks for breaking down the difference in ambush sight and ambush screen for me.
Re: A Request for Z 06/28/2007 07:10 PM CDT
>>That's not to mention the other tools available in game, Garden Vision enchantments and thug powders, both items that can instantly nullify hiding or invisibility.

Garden Vision doesn't do anything except tell you who is there and provides an RT. It's in no way comparable to thug powders (which have their own set of issues).

If anyone actually believes perception learning is somehow on par or better than stealth learning right now, they have obviously found a way to use samatak.

Right now if a survival primary character is failing stealth against a non-survival primary character or someone that isn't a moon mage near their circle, and that person isn't using a CJ, then that survival prime character either doesn't know what the hell they are doing, or that person just sits in a corner and juggles all day so just shoot them in the face.

I am --- Navak
Re: A Request for Z 06/29/2007 12:02 AM CDT
>>Right now if a survival primary character is failing stealth against a non-survival primary character or someone that isn't a moon mage near their circle, and that person isn't using a CJ, then that survival prime character either doesn't know what the hell they are doing, or that person just sits in a corner and juggles all day so just shoot them in the face.

As sad as that is, it's true. This is a high assumption, but I think there's a VERY good chance that I have the most base perception out of any non-survival primary character five circles higher than me and below. If someone has higher it might be an Empath or something, so their face will make good targets.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: A Request for Z 06/29/2007 07:58 AM CDT
<<I know this is the conflicts folder, but I'll attempt to seek advice anyway. What ability/spell do rangers have to counteract hiding?>>

grown wolves pull you from hiding and put you on your back. Irregardless of skill. They don't do this to thier own rangers. But do to others.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: A Request for Z 07/02/2007 08:08 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure why you'd post this in conflicts? Assuming you had a generally good justification for this request, and it wasn't ZOMG-nerf-hiding hysteria, then it would have been a good debate in the abilities folder. That said, what are you even talking about? I'd like to see a timer on magic spells too, particularly DB and frostbite/CL, and I'd love one on roars. But from a game balance/fun perspective, that's ridiculous to me.

There is one for roars. Well, not a timer in order to ROAR itself but after that first roar your voice level drops a whole heck of a lot and becomes even more ineffective past 2 roars.

As far as magic goes, hypothetically (LOL) mages could run out of mana and snap casting -some- spells isn't that effective, but gerenally, yes I'd like to see small cool downs on certain spells. Thunderclap has a 1 min timer doesn't it?

I think you need to do some research before you start attacking my posts buddy. I've been playing as long as you and been in the prime pvp/tourney circuit as long as you as well. I don't claim to know everything but if we're going to be honest with ourselves, hiding outpaces perception in prime. You know it, I know it, Navak and pretty much the rest of the folks in prime know it with the exception of 2 or so GMs who live in some magical 5th dimension of Dragonrealms.

Now with getting a 2 second hide it becomes even more vital in combat giving you that extra second to act while the rest of us are still in hiding roundtime.

>>There's already "timers" in effect for hiding, including a point effect that lasts far longer than 5 seconds, and the always-fun "You haven't had enough time yet" re-hide thing.

1. The point timer, yes I'll give you that and it is a good effect. Thank god for that insta-retreat though, keeps ya'll nice and safe.

2. As far as the "You haven't had enough time yet" to re-hide... that's the messaging you get after being pointed and try to re-hide immediately. You don't really have two points to this argument. Sorry.

>>The anti-stealth bias rampant in your posts around the board reek of paranoia and ignorance. Are you both too lazy to juggle and also too dense to understand the myriad anti-stealth abilities available to every guild? Except traders, I think they may be the only guild that doesn't have an ability/spell able to directly counteract hiding.

And your pro-stealth bias is oozing all over these boards. You bought a thief, played a heavy stealth barbarian and now your latest little character is a thief. Wow, I can tell where you're motivations lie. Guess what, I play a Barbarian who is moderately trained in stealth. I like it, I enjoy it and use it a lot. Sorry if I'm just the first to stand up and say things have gotten out of whack.

As far as being too lazy to juggle? I think having 400 some perception at circle 80 aint so bad. At least for a survival secondary.

Oh and to the -every guild having anti-stealth- abilities. LOL. Whirlwind? Haha. Please, don't make me laugh. Chain lightening cannot hit the broad side of a barn these days. Frostbite? Have you seen how its effectiveness has fallen off the charts? Yeah, there's slash the shadows, and perceieve health (no point ability given) and revelation (cleric spell?). Yeah man, there's a whole army of anti-stealth out there. Watch out... here we come. Thieves have the best anti-stealth ability out there with spot. It dominates tournies and most conflicts.

>>That's not to mention the other tools available in game, Garden Vision enchantments and thug powders, both items that can instantly nullify hiding or invisibility. From your general whining concerning hiding, and bows, I think you must be pretty unhappy with your char choices. Reroll. Juggle. Train a bow. Quit whining.

1. Thug powders are a hassle to get with very very very poor drop rates and don't always work. I've got a ton of examples where my powders just seem to do nothing when I've asked someone to sit in the room and test with me.

2. You'd be pretty incorrect with your assessment of me being unhappy with my character choices. In fact, my character is pretty badass for his level and tends to stomp over most stealth folks only due to the fact that they are poorly trained and/or are just paypal warriors who havent figured out how to fight yet (LOL new Arjen!)

3 of my top 5 weapons are ranged weapons and I've got good perception, decent hiding and lots of nice toys. I just get fustrated with someone with 300 hiding can stack on a khri, get a shadows, rub a CJ and then throw dirt in my face over and over and over while resisting my roars (40+ charisma ftl) and I'm stuck there hoping they are stupid enough to try and backstab me. I'm tired of only getting 70% of my perception to actually work at seeing folks slip into hiding and I'm tired of having to use .challengeAccept <person> in order to get a WATCH off quickly enough.

Basically I'm tired of stealth being the be-all-end-all of CvC in both regular fights and conflicts with GMPCs. Either they are super 150+ barbarians who are invulnerable to magic and can insta-roar everyone to death or they have 1500 hiding. Or maybe both.
Re: A Request for Z 07/02/2007 12:07 PM CDT
Alright, I'm going to respond here not because this should be a conflict, but because you posted it here originally. I have no problem discussing the problems with stealth/perception scaling in the game. I don't think a hiding timer is the way to solve it, and I have made suggestions in various folders, including thieves, of design possibilities that would help the Search function.

I would like to see passive perception boosted to full ranks, and I'd like a Search <person> ability that added the Watch bonus. Those two changes alone would be a heavy slam on stealth primary guilds, but I think they would help scale. Again, I have made this suggestion various times, so I'm not sure where your accusation of "stealth" bias comes in, other than as an ad hominem attack based on your incomplete assessment of my character history.

I've also made a suggestion that all attacks on hidden characters should take a hit to accuracy. My point here was to make it harder for khri spot, and perception prime guilds, to light people up without any risk. If attacks on hidden only used 70 percent or so of offensive skill, than pointing would become a more important tactic again. Obviously this goes two ways, AOE attack spells would take another hit.

So as for my bias oozing all over anything, I think you're flat out wrong. I want a balanced game, because without it, no one fights each other. You've been in the tourneys a long time right? Then you probably know the extent that I go to in the ones I set up to try and make it as even as possible. Happy fights mean more fights mean more chances for me to kill characters mean fun times for this player. I have never stacked teams, or abilities, or anything else so that my character is the pwnzer of all. If anything, I try and do the opposite because it encourages more rounds, which is more fun to me.

<<I've been playing as long as you and been in the prime pvp/tourney circuit as long as you as well. I don't claim to know everything but if we're going to be honest with ourselves, hiding outpaces perception in prime.>>

Agreed. Hiding is "easier" to learn than perception, because it can be learned at the same time as combat. Sniping allows even easier learning for survival primes, again, these are points I have never shirked away from. My relevant response was that almost all guilds have an ability to strike at the hidden, either without a perception check at all, or they have the help of some very generous perception boosters.

Now that ambush slash and ambush stun are rewritten, there is no equivalent stealth manuever that bypasses all defensive skills, although a case can be made for backstab. That's a seperate issue entirely and I think perception of backstab's uberness doesn't necessarily come from the check, but from the damage possible from a first strike. This goes to the damage/health system, and it is something I have advocated for change as well. I think if it took a lot more than one snipe attempt/backstab to truly finish an opponent, CvC stealth would be much better balanced and available anti-stealth abilities would be more effective. However, I know absolutely no way to reconcile that change with critter hunting, i.e. exp per hit on damage etc.

I am all for a way to better balance out the perception vs hiding contest, preferrably I would like to see a way to learn perception in combat.

<<There is one for roars. Well, not a timer in order to ROAR itself but after that first roar your voice level drops a whole heck of a lot and becomes even more ineffective past 2 roars.>>

I was under the impression that quite a few roars could be chained, if roared fast enough, with the voice drop only hitting the heaviest one. With the exception of screech wail? Regardless, I only said that to make a point. I don't think a roar timer or spell timer is any better than a hide timer.

<<Thank god for that insta-retreat though, keeps ya'll nice and safe.>>

I've posted several times in support for retreat and advance times based upon a stat/skill hybrid contest. You're assuming that because I didn't agree with your hiding timer idea, and I play a thief, I will knee-jerk defend anything good for the character I play. This isn't the case, and never has been the case for any guild I've played.

<<Yeah man, there's a whole army of anti-stealth out there.>>

There is. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but there is a lot of help out there to nullify stealth. I will shed no tears for AOE. I agree that there are problems with the perception vs hiding training scale at post 400 ranks. Up until then, there are boosters that can combine for 200 plus ranks of perception. I'd add that my view of roar slash, frostbite, CL, and TKS is nowhere near as bad as yours. CL and frostbite took a hit for sure, but mages at my level can still drop me just fine and I consider my thief a reasonably combat trained character.

40 plus charisma and you still have problems vs 300 hiding huh? That's strange because I wouldn't think someone with 300 hiding had the discipline to stand up to anything remotely close to a 40 plus charisma roar contest. 50 charisma, warpaint and dragon was enough to reliably pull 900 hiding, 70 disc, out of the shadows, from a gor'tog barbarian at missle. 60 charisma, warpaint, and dragon was enough to pull 900 plus hiding/99 discipline 5 of 5 times at missle, 2 for 2 with two other people in the room. I know 60 charisma may seem a long way away, but the tradeoff is that once you get there, hiding ranks mean nothing vs you if you know the person is in the room.

This is pointless though, I'm not going to go round and round with you about options etc. You've admitted you played a long time, apparently deep in the tourney cycle experience, so your mind is set. I gave you some ideas that I have posted repeatedly, that I think will help the stealth contest balance out. A hiding timer is not one of them in my opinion.

<<Basically I'm tired of stealth being the be-all-end-all of CvC in both regular fights and conflicts with GMPCs. Either they are super 150+ barbarians who are invulnerable to magic and can insta-roar everyone to death or they have 1500 hiding.>>

I agree, but I think that's an issue of damage, not stealth. Zeyurn and some other GMs have played around with super armor to great effect I think. GMPCs also tend to have absolutely insane perception. Short of Vymos ambush stunning the Prince once, I'm not sure I've ever even heard of a stealth attack working out vs a GMPC.
Re: A Request for Z 07/02/2007 01:51 PM CDT
Straike is far from being guild biased.

That is all.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi