stealing 09/21/2006 12:10 AM CDT
Any changes to stealing lately? theres an item I always steal (and 75% of the time) always get caught, and never get the "taking a big risk" message...but now I notice I always get the "taking a big risk" message and caught by the owner.
Re: stealing 09/21/2006 12:36 AM CDT
Nothing's been changed yet. You are at the woeful mercy of the random numbers, just like usual. Now that P5 is out and about, I have time to work on other things again though, so who knows what the future may hold?!

-Z
stealing request 09/30/2006 10:32 PM CDT
Maybe this is planned with the rewrite, but could we receive messages indicating how much and what we grab when pickpocketing coins? Typing 'wealth' before and after each grab and then having to calculate with three types of currency and five denominations ain't easy, especially in high scroll areas, and/or when people are shooting at you. It would also help on those rare occasions when I'd like to reimburse the victim.
Re: stealing request 09/30/2006 11:51 PM CDT
Sort of planned, although you won't get exact exact values.

-Z
Custom item stealing 04/01/2007 02:27 AM CDT
Has it been set so when you steal a custom item to up the difficuly and exp awarded for it? It really doesn't seem like it does if it has, if not any idea when it'll be made to.

I stole a violing wrth 1.6 plat in haven and i learnt nuthing with the trivial messaging, i then Stole 3 Cedar violins straight after it and they were all 1 plat more expensive but still didn't teach. Went and pawned them all and got the same amount for them all, so it seems like custom items are just being based on the standard template item and not any custom wood/material/gem/colour added to them.

I'm really struggling to learn stealing now and if the custom stuff worked it would prolly solve some of my problems

I can't fill my pools or anywhere close to it, the highest i've reached is perplexed after hitting every shop in leth,crossing and the clans. Only gaining 10% a rank per hour isn't doing it for me.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Custom item stealing 04/01/2007 09:14 AM CDT
>I believe that the cost portion of stealing difficulty comes from an items appraisal cost. When you buy(or steal now that you can) a customized item, the shops don't actually change the appraisal price since at least dr2.(I think there are a few newer shops that will change the appraisal value.) So customizing doesn't help, at least in most shops.<

This is correct. It's not the price the shopkeep charges you, it's the instrinsic value of the item that matters.

-Z

(after showing off my latest creation)
Acanthor: You terrify me.
Re: Custom item stealing 04/01/2007 09:25 AM CDT
>This is correct. It's not the price the shopkeep charges you, it's the instrinsic value of the item that matters.

Yes, but the intrinsic value isn't being set correctly. It broke with DR2. I assume its the same problem that makes ironwood bucklers not any sturdier than regular bucklers. It makes finding jewlery for CJs more difficult. And now its reducing stealing EXP. Is it on the list to get fixed?
Re: Custom item stealing 04/01/2007 10:47 AM CDT
Honestly, if it made the intrinsic value in the multi-plat range and the weight wasn't totally dinky there might be one thief in Prime capable of stealing it. Maybe. I still kind of doubt it though.

I don't touch shops, in general (writing the customizer was hard enough as is), so while it's likely on a list, it's not on mine.

I know most every city has at least a couple items that will teach to 2000 ranks, and as I've posted elsewhere, there are several supplemental stealing exp things that are almost ready to be out.

Right now I'm looking into the lack of bonus in many shops, which should help, since learning is calculated at base ranks vs base ranks. (Both player and item are bonused to some degree based on stats and such)

Shoplifting was intended to be good, but it was never meant to be the only way to learn. Just one of many options, and since the options aren't quite out yet, I think that's the real root of frustration here.

-Z

(after showing off my latest creation)
Acanthor: You terrify me.
The secondary stealing pool 04/23/2007 12:50 AM CDT
I'm sorry. I still don't think I understand how the secondary pool works. I will get it, that's not my question.

My question is this. When we start draining experience while logged out, will the stealing timer go down as well while logged out?

I noticed one post that said the shop timer didn't reset or continue when you were logged out. Meaning you had to stay logged in for the 1 hour timer to reset. How will this work in the future? I go on a stealing run.. I log out for ... however long.. I log back in, my stealing is drained but I can not steal from the same shops?

I may not be making myself clear. I can see how this could be abused. But, if I log out for 3 or 4 hours and all of my exp is drained during that time, I would hope that I could log back in and begin stealing at whim.

-Veleda
question on the stealing pool 01/11/2008 03:47 AM CST
after doing a stealing run to test out visa-vis the new stalking <to see if i still learn- which i do, thank you much!>, i noticed that i didn't get the standard messaging for filling my stealing pool <you feel as if you've learned all you can about knocking over shops>.

Discipline 45, intell 40, wisdom 40. stealing 505. concentration 561, circle 101. I hit 31 shops during my run <muspar'I>, 30 of which have items which teach me. I wasn't caught during the run.

Did anything happen to the pool during the stalk rewrite? or is everything functioning as it should?

Schvartz

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: question on the stealing pool 01/11/2008 09:03 AM CST
Well I guess I'd have to see you to find out, but did you find that you were pulsing a fair amount overall?

It's harder to fill up the pool if you're on the anti-wall ranks cause you won't ever lock and the pool drains a lot slower if you lock.

There haven't been any changes to stealing so it should teach the same as it always does.

-Z
Is teaching stealing thuggable now? 12/30/2009 02:32 PM CST
I was just sitting around as usual teaching stealing with alisyn and we both got thugged outta nowhere.

From out of the shadows, a frighteningly strong arm reaches out and grabs you around the neck, and a low gravelly voice whispers in your ear, "Ya know, ya really oughta learn ta keep yer yap shut about guild business. Mebbe this'll member ya." With that, you are tossed to the ground by someone, or something behind you. Terrible pains explode in your body and the world around you goes black. From somewhere through the haze, you feel a tugging at your belt. You feel your jaws forced apart, and with an audible metallic SNICK, your tongue is neatly removed.
You are stunned!

Is teaching stealing now thuggable if its outside? I know i haven't done anything other than hunt and climb for days, so i have no idea what else it could have been.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Is teaching stealing thuggable now? 12/30/2009 02:42 PM CST
Teaching stealing in public in the middle of town is never a good idea, especially when you're also teaching non-Thieves.

-- GM Tiesse

"Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys." -- The Plague