Confidence 06/07/2005 12:04 AM CDT
I'm wondering if a GM could please explain why we can't have a method of checking our confidence. I know it's been said to be OOC, yet I never learned why it'd be OOC. Barbarians have a way of checking their inner fire, rangers a way of checking their bonus, why can't we have at the very least a message that tells us after performing an action that increases or decreases our confidence, say so.

For example, after a succesful backstab, perhaps something along the lines of, You feel a bit steadier in your actions, or your legs seem little wobbly, for gain and loss respectively. And perhaps when you max it out, something along the lines of Your movements seem a little more fluid or my favorite, Heh, you're all out of bubble gum. And after maxing it out, you no longer receive messages, unless of course it goes down and you bring it up. And of course, the only way of checking it is to go out and see if you still improve or not. And the only time a message comes up about it outside of doing something that improves it, is when it runs out, You seem a little hesitant for a moment.

This seems entirely reasonable and if not, why would any method to check confidence be unreasonable.

A
Re: Confidence 06/07/2005 08:36 AM CDT
I'm not aware of any GameMaster having said that it'd be OOC in general for there to be ways to check Confidence. As a member of the group of GMs who designed the original concept of confidence and as the GM who designed and wrote the implementation that ultimately became live, I've never been of the opinion that it's inherently OOC to try to set up confidence checks -- simply potentially OOC depending on the method you're going for.

The primary reason that you don't receive a message every time your confidence goes up or down is that it wouldn't really provide much useful information. We've already told you that the core stealth skills are the only ones that impact it. In those, every success will raise your confidence and every failure will lower it. All you really have to know is whether you succeeded or failed, and that's something the messaging already gives you. Considering how much messaging combat already throws at the average player, I didn't want to increase the burden by adding an additional message that provides no real data.

A way to check confidence, given a good concept and some base messaging to work with, isn't at all something I'd refuse to code.

- Natala
"It's hard to be a bastion of holiness and the light when you're crouching furtively behind a crate."
- GameMaster Armifer
Confidence 06/26/2005 12:38 AM CDT
This might have been stated before, but the confidence threads were long. Are there any game situations that will completely reset confidence, i.e. dying. (Sorry... it's hard to tell these things without a way to check it.) And if dying causes confidence to zero out, is there anything else, like getting arrested?

-Wighten
Stealing + Confidence 02/08/2007 04:28 PM CST
Any update on this? Stealing so far seems to be a great success..and with the fewer steals per hour that most people do, doesnt seem like we can abuse it for confidence:)

Would be really nice to have confidence outside of hunting:(

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Confidence issues. 06/30/2007 03:48 AM CDT
Albeit, my character has woefully trained charisma, 15, for his 20th circle, I'm finding it impossible to bump my confidence from its neutral state. Even an entire hunting trip filled with nothing but hiding/stalking/backstabbing of Rock Trolls failed to move it the slightest amount. Is there a problem in my methods of increasing confidence or rather is there a problem relating to the lack of charisma, or, even still, a combination of the two.
Urban/Confidence? 07/10/2007 02:46 PM CDT
I was hoping Z, or a really intuned player, could give a closer breakdown of how our bonus and confidence work? I am not smart enough to figure out a PAFO strategy to nail down how the bonus works, so I was hoping someone could answer a few, any, of the following? I have been seeing extremely weird stealth results, as others have commented on in Abilities, and I also use chain armor so I need every ounce of stealth advantage to work at level. I was hoping to learn more about these.

--Is the confidence or urban boost a percentage based boost or a flat rank boost?

--If confidence modifiers are turned off now for player contests, do thieves still get the pre-existing positive/negative modifier in character vs character skill interactions? If a PC can't negatively or positively affect my confidence, do I still get the pre-existing bonus/penalty when I act towards them?

Basically any kind of insight into how these work would be great, and make them much easier to explain to people that ask. I've tried testing via boxes (is existing confidence bonus working for boxes or just stealth/steal?) and a few other things but no luck. Any help from Z, or another player tester, would be awesome. Thanks.
Confidence and Boxes 07/17/2007 08:03 PM CDT
Since the rewrite I assume all of our main skills are on there (If disarm isn't on there then ignore the rest of this post) However I'm not seeing any gain from disarm.

I get out of death spirits (after hunting for an hour or two which used to get me to the top of confidence (which isn't a complaint at all, just an observation) and this is also with 27 charisma)and get this

>smirk birk
You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
Your surroundings fit your talents perfectly.

Ok good, now my lockpicking is over 60 ranks above my disarm and disarm is too low to do these boxes normally so this boost helps out. With a couple khri popped up I'm able to do them.

However after a full pack of boxes (all identifying as either jumping off a cliff or snowball's chance in the desert) I check my confidence just for the hell of it.

>smirk birk
You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
Your surroundings fit your talents perfectly.

I get the same message, now I realize I don't have the 30 suggested to fully utilize confidence (and is most likely why I'm not hitting top of my game in death spirits) but that seems kind of off. I mean, popping 10-12 boxes (or whatever a duffel bag can hold) that I shouldn't really be able to do (with base ranks) should put me up atleast to the next level right?

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Re: Confidence and Boxes 07/17/2007 08:56 PM CDT
Disarm isn't on there yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without breaking things.

-Z

(after showing off my latest creation)
Acanthor: You terrify me.
Re: Confidence and Boxes 07/17/2007 09:57 PM CDT
>I get the same message, now I realize I don't have the 30 suggested to fully utilize confidence (and is most likely why I'm not hitting top of my game in death spirits) but that seems kind of off. I mean, popping 10-12 boxes (or whatever a duffel bag can hold) that I shouldn't really be able to do (with base ranks) should put me up atleast to the next level right?

I'm not entirely sure how you identified the problem, though. I thought stylish thief is just below top of the game? You couldn't have gotten there either way with 27 charisma, no?

Your mind hears Enef thinking, "I'm sure someone will be dying to buy that [Caelumia's ticket] from me in the future. It's a better investment than glaes."
Confidence and Charisma 11/04/2007 01:16 AM CDT
Can you give me a yes or no answer on this question?

Will having post-30 CHARISMA cause confidence drifting from bad to normal faster that pre-30?

Meaning when I die and take that big hit..

A} does my confidence come back to neutral if i were to do nothing at all, would it come back faster if i had more than 30 charisma?

B} do i activle need to do sneaky stuff to cause my confidence to go back to neutral or will doing it just make this rise faster and will post-30 in charisman make it even faster?

Thanks...

"Anything you want in the world can be yours.
You just need the skill to steal it, the strength to take it or the nerve to kill for it."

(Ancient Proverb)

Dusk M'row

Chosen of Damaris
Re: Confidence and Charisma 11/04/2007 01:16 AM CST
If theoretically one were to have 99 in all the stats for Confidence (Charisma being more important than all the others combined) it might take over a day of time in game for it to drift down to the most it can drift down from max and it would come back from bad to normal extremely quick.

I don't really expect anyone to ever do this, but if you do the benefit is there.

-Z
Confidence and what skills effect it. 02/27/2008 11:23 AM CST
Has other thief skill moved onto confidence yet such as stealing and disarm and any other skills that should effect it?
Re: Confidence and what skills effect it. 02/27/2008 04:03 PM CST
Stealing (in shoplifting form) does move confidence. As Yamcer said Disarm and Locks will do so after Locks is rewritten.

-Z
3.0 and Confidence 08/02/2008 04:14 PM CDT
Does the new lockpicking/disarming affect confidence?

Roger
Confidence questions 08/17/2008 04:36 PM CDT
So, I've been away for awhile, and it is possible i have just not seen the posting, but does dying automatically drop your confidence to trashed? otherwise, something weird happened to me when i lost connection and some swains jumped me.
Re: 3.0 and Confidence 08/17/2008 06:16 PM CDT
Does anybody know if new lockpicking and disarming is tied into confidence? I haven't done enough boxes to know.

Roger
Confidence 08/22/2008 05:48 PM CDT
It would be awesome if popping boxes and stealing were updated to provide a boost to confidence that was on par with ambushing/backstabbing. Is this something that will eventually be added?
Confidence decay 06/14/2010 08:54 PM CDT
I was wondering if the decay of confidence could be lowered some until more things are added to the system? At 50 charisma I still seem to drop back down to neutral really fast.