Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:41 AM CST
As for the ability, let me explain how it works...

You hide, get to melee and backstab. First a series of stealth and backstab checks are performed to determine if you succeed with the backstab. If this succeeds, you get several bonuses:

1). Large to-hit bonus

2). Large damage bonus

3). Higher damage-cap than a normal attack

Subsequent backstabs lose part of #3, but continue to see the bonus from 1 and 2.

Assuming the backstab is successful, that attack's experience route to backstab with an added bonus. Last I heard this bonus was 5000x what it should be, and folks were locking backstab in 3 hits. Not sure if that is fixed (I don't do much exp work), but it was left in to give folks a chance to catch-up who had difficulty training this past week.

A failed backstab is just a THRUST. Nothing else.

Now, I tested for 2 hours last night with a player who was frothing mad over how overpowered BS was. In his case the backstab was hitting harder than a claymore due to a combination of variables and manipulation of the data to support his argument. Leather armor that is 60% damaged, a 100% damaged shield, no defense buffs, capped offensive buffs, etc. These combined to make a bad day for the defender.

I am going to fix headsplitters tonight. I've posted repeatedly they are a bad creature for comparison because they have such poor defenses and no armor. Just about anything can kill them in 2 hits, and for some reason everyone uses them as a comparison point because its easy to get the data they want off of them.

Now, if you could post the stats, ranks and weapon appraisals for what you are using, along with what abilities are up (in an email if you don't want to post it), I can duplicate your test and see what is going on.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:42 AM CST
>>For critters that you can't actually backstab, attack bodypart <from hiding>, which used to teach backstab, does not teach backstab on maulers/warklins. This is with 465 Small edged <which trains just fine> and 455 backstab. And when I appraise them they are a challenging opponent.

This post is confusing.....

For critters that you can't backstab, you can't learn backstab? Sounds...working as intended to me?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:58 AM CST
>For critters that you can't backstab, you can't learn backstab? Sounds...working as intended to me?

Backstab, the verb/attack, only works on bipedal humanoid critters.

To stop punching theives in the nuts, a bypass was put in place, so that you could, from hiding, attack (body part), and learn backstab. I believe it lacked a lot of the bonuses of backstab, but it made the skill trainable, and didn't force theives to hunt 1 single sub type which is typically sparsley populated throught the ranks, and rarely skinnable.

It sounds like this is now either disabled, or not granting the backstab exp it used to.

Note that only a thief, attacking from hiding, and targeting a body part, would learn BS this way.

So if I walked over to sows, and hid, then went 'attack head' I should get some BS exp for it.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:58 AM CST
>>For critters that you can't backstab, you can't learn backstab? Sounds...working as intended to me?

It's intended for Ambushing on various body parts to teach Backstab, on all creatures. I've actually never earned a rank of Backstab from normal Backstabbing at all.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:59 AM CST
Sorry for the double post, I should also add that I've been Mind Locking Backstab by ambushing in celpeze just fine since 3.0 released. So it's not "turned off" or anything.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:15 AM CST
<<Sorry for the double post, I should also add that I've been Mind Locking Backstab by ambushing in celpeze just fine since 3.0 released. So it's not "turned off" or anything.

So then, is there something wrong with maulers/warklins rather than the entire backstab/amushing experience system?

Nikpack
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:19 AM CST
Gonif,

I'm not sure is Backstab is considered a Stealth check, or is checked against Perception, but maulers/warklins are the most perceptive bunch. Try MARKing them and see how challenging they are?

In other regards, warklins/maulers teach defenses up to 600s, weapons still going strong in 500s.

GENT
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:21 AM CST
>>So then, is there something wrong with maulers/warklins rather than the entire backstab/amushing experience system?

Could be a combination of what GENT mentioned and perhaps the need to change the body part being stuck at. I recently made a rather big change from Chest to Head in Celpeze. Gonif would have to post some logs to let us look at it and see if there's something else going on.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:28 AM CST
>I am going to fix headsplitters tonight.

Thank you! And thanks for all the work on Backstab experience, it's much more enjoyable to train now than it was in 2.0. Still think it could use a damage increase though as it doesn't seem to hit very hard.

>Subsequent backstabs lose part of #3, but continue to see the bonus from 1 and 2.

Why? My first backstab is going to be reduced by my opponents full vitality, which means I'm wasting the damage bonus if I open with a backstab. Any chance you could reconsider this part? Might help fix the seemingly low damage of backstab.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:29 AM CST
> need to change the body part being stuck at

If you're outclassing your opponent, attack the right eye.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:49 AM CST
Blegh, what a hack :(

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 10:54 AM CST
>>Thank you! And thanks for all the work on Backstab experience, it's much more enjoyable to train now than it was in 2.0. Still think it could use a damage increase though as it doesn't seem to hit very hard.

Just FYI, the amount of backstab experience you get right now is a lot higher than intended. I made some fixes to backstab to grant its experience using the same difficulty curves that combat does, but I accidentally left in a bug that caused it to be a lot more. In general, when BACKSTAB is used, it should be training in roughly the same range as a weapon. If you're learning at a normal rate right now, you're going to learn worse once I fix the bug, and you'll need to find something that's at-level for your backstab. There IS a tradeoff, though - Backstab will grant more experience per second than a normal attack, but it will only grant on a hit.

>>Subsequent backstabs lose part of #3, but continue to see the bonus from 1 and 2.

Given my earlier comment, this is no longer the case. No reason for the stealth diminishing returns reductions when you're killing your target.

>>If you're outclassing your opponent, attack the right eye.

Does this grant you more experience because you're forcing yourself to miss?

>>you could, from hiding, attack (body part), and learn backstab. I believe it lacked a lot of the bonuses of backstab, but it made the skill trainable, and didn't force theives to hunt 1 single sub type which is typically sparsley populated throught the ranks, and rarely skinnable.

>>It sounds like this is now either disabled, or not granting the backstab exp it used to.

This... seems like a terribly monstrous hack that's the result of a narrow design for Backstab. While it'll probably make it back in the short term, know that finding a more holistic solution is near the top of my list.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 11:08 AM CST
>>This... seems like a terribly monstrous hack that's the result of a narrow design for Backstab. While it'll probably make it back in the short term, know that finding a more holistic solution is near the top of my list.

I can understand that some fixes may come to make the skill less odd. All I ask is please do not make the skill only trainable with the Backstab verb. The creature ladder is very unforgiving as it is. I do not need wild exp gains, but I would like to continue training it with Ambushing.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 11:27 AM CST
>>All I ask is please do not make the skill only trainable with the Backstab verb. The creature ladder is very unforgiving as it is.

Keep in mind that a more holistic approach may mean removing the biped humanoid requirement for backstab. To me, that would be the most reasonable way to resolve the situation.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 11:30 AM CST
>>Keep in mind that a more holistic approach may mean removing the biped humanoid requirement for backstab. To me, that would be the most reasonable way to resolve the situation.

As long as it's trainable on all creatures(at level, of course) I'm sure everyone would have no problem with that.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 11:55 AM CST
>>If you're outclassing your opponent, attack the right eye.

>Does this grant you more experience because you're forcing yourself to miss?

No... I don't miss too often when attacking eyes. I believe the bulk of the experience comes from the fact that you're hitting a body part that's a lot harder to hit, so you get more experience from the increase difficulty of the contest.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 12:14 PM CST
<<Going solely off the most common strings in both, which was 8 out of 8 landed attacks for backstab(no misses) and 14 out of 14 attacks for Attack verb, the time involvement was roughly:

<<5 second delay per Backstab meaning each kill was roughly 45 seconds.

<<With Attack it depends more on the type of attack, but the highest delay is 3 seconds per swing(for me), which still comes out to roughly 42 seconds with 14 attacks AT WORST. Which was never happening, half of my attacks were 1 second attacks. Thus my average kill time with simply Attack was roughly 28 seconds.

<<I am killing faster with simply Attack than I am with Backstab.

That's a fair point that I had not considered. Though if you're at level, one can be potentially learning from all of those stealth actions, no?

hmmm, I'm torn now. I don't think you can go can go and make backstab stronger, even if you do have to hide. Six attacks versus fourteen is a big difference when it comes to PVP or something you fight rarely (say a boss), but there needs to be something that balances training.

Ultimately I think Ucu's other thread post discussing about where the direction of the thief guild is heading needs to thought put into it. Are thieves (and I should phrase it like this but my mind won't allow me to think of synonyms) the maters of one-time devastating attacks? What makes them special snowflakes in the the grand scheme?

Nikpack
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 12:21 PM CST
>This... seems like a terribly monstrous hack that's the result of a narrow design for Backstab. While it'll probably make it back in the short term, know that finding a more holistic solution is near the top of my list.

That's wonderful to hear, actually. I'd hazard a guess that many thief systems are sort of the same kludgy 'made to work' situation. Once you knew about the BS kludge, it was ok, while never stunning, to train on many things.

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 12:24 PM CST
>Ultimately I think Ucu's other thread post discussing about where the direction of the thief guild is heading needs to thought put into it. Are thieves (and I should phrase it like this but my mind won't allow me to think of synonyms) the maters of one-time devastating attacks? What makes them special snowflakes in the the grand scheme?

I apologize for the double post, but, uh, ya. I'd really like to see players talking about this, just to see what everyone thinks is the direction teefs should go in DR. I don't want to just spam-flood the topic with my thoughts because I figure only nice-nick here actually cares.

I didn't really expect much from the GMs. They have to get a write-up done and into aproval before they can really begin talking about things, and playing fast and loose on the boards hasn't done anything but piss off players and GMs and board Mods.

Plus, 3.0, less than a week old...figure they should get some sleep SOME time.

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 12:56 PM CST
>>That's a fair point that I had not considered. Though if you're at level, one can be potentially learning from all of those stealth actions, no?

Keep in mind, I train just fine. I just wanted to provide some samples due to the complaints about damage. I was actually unaware this could potentially be an issue until I went out and made counts of strikes and kills.

>>hmmm, I'm torn now. I don't think you can go can go and make backstab stronger, even if you do have to hide. Six attacks versus fourteen is a big difference when it comes to PVP or something you fight rarely (say a boss)

Keep in mind that you're contesting two skill types of backstab. There's also other factors, like Watch, which can nuke your chance to Backstab at all once they know you're there(in terms of PVP). And of course, the time involvement is still present. Hard to say what change is needed though, I agree.

>>Ultimately I think Ucu's other thread post discussing about where the direction of the thief guild is heading needs to thought put into it. Are thieves (and I should phrase it like this but my mind won't allow me to think of synonyms) the maters of one-time devastating attacks? What makes them special snowflakes in the the grand scheme?

It seems a change for the Guild is looming more now that the combat system has been re-worked.

As an aside, I haven't seen it mentioned before in this thread, but some of the Guild's disablers(Ambush moves) are also based on the Backstab skill. Probably going to need to keep that in mind for changes on the skill.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 01:18 PM CST
>>I believe the bulk of the experience comes from the fact that you're hitting a body part that's a lot harder to hit, so you get more experience from the increase difficulty of the contest.

Hm. This shouldn't be the case anymore, unless it's specific to backstab.

>>I'd hazard a guess that many thief systems are sort of the same kludgy 'made to work' situation.

Yeah, the glut of these kinds of bandaids is one of the things that floats Thieves to the top of my list of things to work on. We'll talk more about it later.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 01:22 PM CST
Also, I want to clarify in general that thieves are very much not forgotten. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled with the changes, and I know that thieves didn't exactly come out on top with the DR3 changes, but once we get our wind back we'll be able to take a look a the state of the world and start working on the things that need it the most.

--

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 01:47 PM CST

Today at 10am CST and now at 1:30pm CST my backstabbing gains are seeing a huge increase compared to the time period between 2005 - 01/24/2013 at 3am CST.

I'm not sure why it would take me 24 extra hours to see the 250% or 5000x or whatever it was exp increase that every one else had been talking about yesterday or if someone is currently working on it this morning and afternoon.

Now for the first time in the almost 8 years that I've been playing a thief, backstab is in a range with 99% of the other skills in the game, as far as training speed. I hope this reduction that Soch has mentioned doesn't just put it right back where it was.

p.s. I could really use an edit post button!
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 02:31 PM CST
Around 1:10 CST I rolled in backstab to the intended rates of learning. The bug was that I was using a very wrong number for your skills, which was causing integer overflow and, in general, for all hell to break loose. that's why some people saw no learning and some saw an incredible amount. The massive overtraining people were seeing was locking their backstab in 4 attacks, or 1 attack.

The amount of experience you're seeing is the amount that the fixed system should be giving you, so if that's good for you, then awesome. It should train roughly as well as a weapon does at that rate (though you'll probably lock BS slower, since you're survival primary).

--

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 04:08 PM CST

Socharis,

Thanks for fixing backstab experience. This is making a huge difference for me. Using my normal backstab routine (which includes thief ambushes, hunting, appraising, marking, offhand backstabbing) I was able to lock the skill in 21 minutes after killing 14 monsters.

In 2.0 after killing 200+ and 3 hours, the skill would not even be locked.

Since the conversion to 3.0, Ambush stun, clout, slash are not giving much BS exp and virtually zero weapon exp. Ambush is teaching a noticeable amount of light thrown, but significantly less compared to 2.0.
Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 04:13 PM CST
Yeah, I have some fixes to the backstab experience on those in the works. They're tied to some fixes to some other stealth stuff so I'm still testing those before I roll them out.

--

Re: Backstab 01/24/2013 08:03 PM CST
So nice to see some Red-names post in the folders, also great to hear that some real concrete fixes are in place.

Thanks for the working on the Thieves guild.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Backstab 01/25/2013 12:32 AM CST
If backstab learning is tied into combat like weapons now, you might want to have a look at MARK because that give completely different info on the target testing against its perception and wont give the right info. It could say you would struggle to backstab something but end up barely learning or the other way round if they have really bad perception.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Backstab 01/25/2013 02:46 PM CST
Thanks everyone who has been working on this! Locking Backstab in about 15-20 minutes. Way way way better then it was before, cheers!
Re: Backstab 02/01/2013 07:26 PM CST
BUMP!

>>Yeah, I have some fixes to the backstab experience on those in the works. They're tied to some fixes to some other stealth stuff so I'm still testing those before I roll them out.

Any word when this is comming? My thief is hurting for BS exp. Compared to everything else the difference is a little under 2/3 less exp than any other combat skills at the moment and that is with PUSHING BS hard for a LONG time. It just wont move. Backstabbing is horribad, Ambuishing slightly better but also terrible. Cant move the skill past 10/34 after an hour of all body parts even hard to hit ones. Just wont teach.
Re: Backstab 02/01/2013 07:39 PM CST
Yea the experience is pretty terrible. If it's supposed to be in line with other weapon-type skills(or close), should be doubled IMO.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Backstab 02/01/2013 09:49 PM CST
I'm not having any issues learning backstab (on either of my thieves that I play normally) since the updates that were done:

Thief #1
Backstab: 689 01% deliberative (11/34)
Small Edged: 702 22% pondering (7/34)
Stealth: 807 13% ruminating (8/34)
Melee Mastery: 667 24% pondering (7/34)

Thief #2
Backstab: 254 39% deliberative (11/34)
Small Edged: 308 02% ruminating (8/34)
Melee Mastery: 235 41% concentrating (9/34)
Stealth: 724 04.05% clear (0/34)

BS locks faster than my weapon skills and stealth. Just hiding/stalking and BSing.
Re: Backstab 02/02/2013 08:33 AM CST

I was having a really hard time with it at first, too. If you're ambushing, try changing to chest or head. I don't know about actually backstabbing bipeds, there are none in my range right now. Even targeting the head, though, it is slow. I was able to move it past 13/34, at least, which I was not able to do when I was aiming at the right eye or whatever. Stealth locks much, much, much faster still.
Re: Backstab 02/02/2013 11:38 AM CST

Ambushing backstabbing exp has not been updated.

Only BACKSTAB backstabbing exp has been updated.

Wondering if this is what is still causing some people to have issues.
Re: Backstab 02/02/2013 10:44 PM CST
>>Ambushing backstabbing exp has not been updated.

>>Only BACKSTAB backstabbing exp has been updated.

Have to agree that this is the problem. Ambushing sucks now to learn, using the BACKSTAB verb though teaches great. I've gone from stopping at 20/34 to actually locking in about the same time from 2.0 > 3.0.

If you are using the BS verb instead of ambush, and still learning badly, then it's time to move up the ladder.
Re: Backstab 02/25/2013 12:16 PM CST
>>Yeah, I have some fixes to the backstab experience on those in the works. They're tied to some fixes to some other stealth stuff so I'm still testing those before I roll them out.

Any chance that backstab learning via ambush could get a look at? Preferable something similar to what was done with the backstab verb itself. I've been running tests with backstab vs ambush (and ambush vs different parts). I can't learn ANY backstabbing if I target the back, or any other main body part. I can only learn with Head/Neck/Eyes and only close to the same rate as backstab if I target the eyes (which has a drastic impact on actual weapon learning/killing). I think it's time to remove the specific targeting required to learn backstab from ambushing, and have all attacks from hiding teach backstab (snipe, poach, throw etc).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Backstab 02/26/2013 12:32 AM CST

I'm also wondering, does backstabbing still reset the stealth timer like it use to? I seem to learn no stealth when backstabbing but learn it fine with snipe and shoplifting.

Wondering if it's the critters Im in being too low (thought they still teach it when I snipe) or if something is amiss?

Sebestyen says to you, "Walk in the light."
You say, "I prefer the shadows."
Re: Backstab 02/26/2013 03:21 AM CST
There hasn't been a stealth timer for years and years and years.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Backstab 03/03/2013 03:37 PM CST
>>There hasn't been a stealth timer for years and years and years.

That's true, and it works fine if I just hide/unhide over and over, or snipe repeatedly. When I start backstabbing though, stealth stops learning.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page