Thump 05/17/2015 06:44 AM CDT
The functionality of the Thump verb, in my opinion, really needs to be reexamined - specifically the THUMP TEST verb/modifier.

I can't think of a single reason why players should be given a means to determine the approximate skill level of another player without risk. In my opinion, the WARN modifier should be a standard messaging that conveys the fact that if Player B continues with their current behavior, Player A will attempt to Thump them. I think that the functionality of gwethsmashers in this regard is pretty spot on.

The THUMP {player} verb itself, sans modifier, should simply attempt to thump the target and the success or fail be determined by the circle check already in place.

I think this would be a good change as I feel the verb in its current form allows players to circumvent skill checks and readily identify characters that are unlikely to be able to defend themselves. There is virtually no way this doesn't have a direct impact on player interaction.

tl;dr Thump Test allows players to bypass skill checks to identify easy marks.
tl;dr2 Thump {Player} should make an attempt to thump and give consent regardless of success or failure.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 06:53 AM CDT
>I can't think of a single reason why players should be given a means to determine the approximate skill level of another player without risk.

Ya, we need to turn off appraise, mark and all those other ways of doing it too. They're mean.

>In my opinion, the WARN modifier should...

No, the last thing we need is to add another layer of histrionics and inane drama to warn. When warn is used it indicates stop completely and both parties relocate, not 'I will interact with you'. Changing the meaning for even an edge case invalidates the entire function of the verb because 'well, he warned me but never followed it up so I didn't think he meant it'.

>I think this would be a good change as I feel the verb in its current form allows players to circumvent skill checks and readily identify characters that are unlikely to be able to defend themselves. There is virtually no way this doesn't have a direct impact on player interaction.

It has the same impact 'skill based' check do. Anyone who picks a fight because they know they will win is a bully. Whether that's RP or simply crass player interaction is debatable.

And honestly, it's even easier to figure out what 'skill' range you are without any skill checks. Have a MM, thief, WM, ranger, etc. do a locate on you and see what you're hunting. So the entire argument is silly, and who on earth cares if someone else 'knows' your skill range.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 09:19 AM CDT

Complaint is along the lines of appraising constructs/zombies telling people how powerful a necromancer is. I don't think there should be a way to judge anyone's power without actually fighting them if that is what your itching for, but at the same time things like those are left alone unless it is a safe target.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 09:29 AM CDT
Circle is not always a reliable gauge for who is bigger than whom. My thief stopped at circle 151 a couple years ago, but he never stopped training combats.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 12:43 PM CDT
The verb as-is gives players an OOC means to gauge the relative strength of another player that basically can be boiled down to:

Query: Can I kill this guy?
Game: Probably.
Cool.
Warn {player} combat

Seriously, if you don't have a problem with this, you probably use it.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 12:58 PM CDT
Knowing someone's circle doesn't let you accurately guess their combat ranks. Only knowing that they're not within 20 circles of you tells you even less. The higher circle you get the more that gap of potential combat ranks vs. circle gets.

Thump check tells you that you can thump someone. There are character's that mine can thump who I guarantee would wipe the floor with them.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 01:22 PM CDT

I like how nonchalant the game is in that example. PAFO lol
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 02:22 PM CDT
The difference is MARK/APPRAISE are skillchecks, THUMP TEST isn't.

The issue isn't that there's a way to gauge someone's relative skill, it's that you can do it with a kind of OOC command that is invisible to the target and possesses no skillcheck or risk of any kind.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 02:51 PM CDT

I have them TELLEXP ALL to make sure I can run my mouth or not.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 03:23 PM CDT
>Seriously, if you don't have a problem with this, you probably use it.

Ah yes. The 'if you disagree with me you're a hacker' excuse.

I don't PvP, but I also don't give two dead gerbil testicles if someone 'knows' my character level.

Here: Level 54

250 ranks in evasion, 215 in shield/parry, 200 ranks in weapons, 30 in all stats (40 stamina), 250 stealth, 202 backstab.

Now that the pissing contest is over (hint: your text can beat up mine), I think this is a tedious concern, and frankly it's hilarious that anyone cares.

It's a role playing game. Either role play, and take your lumps, or don't.

I think you're blowing this far, far, out of proportion. But hey, please keep having histrionics.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 03:44 PM CDT
>>Seriously, if you don't have a problem with this, you probably use it.<<

I do have no problem with this. All my guys are PvP open, so it's completely moot to me. I have personally never used thump test to determine whether or not I should attack someone or will or won't win against said person. I have used thump test to see if I can shut people up, from time-to-time, however. :D SPOILER ALERT this is what it's designed to do!!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 06:04 PM CDT
If you are using circle to decide if you should fight someone then you are doing it wrong.
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 06:40 PM CDT
I love when Badgopher hits the nail on the head.

Samsaren
Re: Thump 05/17/2015 10:00 PM CDT
>I love when Badgopher hits the nail on the head.

...you need help, because that sentence should worry you.
Re: Thump 05/18/2015 05:06 AM CDT
>>...you need help, because that sentence should worry you.

Seeing as we generally disagree, I chalk it up to one of those fluke event dealies. Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade.

Samsaren
Re: Thump 05/18/2015 05:32 AM CDT
He's such a naughty, naughty little gopher.

Re: Thump 05/18/2015 11:56 AM CDT
>> Seeing as we generally disagree, I chalk it up to one of those fluke event dealies. Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade.

And there's my new signature.

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren