Accent 03/29/2007 10:45 AM CDT
I brought this up as a suggestion at the last premie meeting, but why restrict it? I think this would be fantastic for roleplaying and create a more interesting atmosphere to the game (especially with regards to how people roleplay the origins and homes of their characters, as well as perhaps some lighter RP).
The idea was the following:

syntax: ACCENT [variable] [slight/heavy (maybe?)]
(in a sense similar to the LANGUAGE verb)

where the variable might include:
- regional accents: these might be as broad as 'northern' or 'southern', but even so specific as to reflect towns and other locales...
- racial-language accents: an accent reflecting one's mother tongue, ex 'Rakash'
- misc accents: the possibilities are near endless, can have lisps and stutters and all sorts of things
- the ability to turn off the accent

So, for example...

>accent Rakash heavy
You switch to a heavy Rakash accent.
>say Ah hah.
You say with/in a heavy Rakash accent, "Ah hah."
(Medir says with a heavy Rakash accent "Ah hah.")

or

>accent lisp slight
You switch to a lisp accent.
>say Right.
You say with/in slight lisp, "Right."
(Medir says with a slight lisp, "Right.")

Anyway, those are just suggestions. I think some form of this sort of verb would be useful to many players as an RP tool/just as a fun addition.

Feel free to toss it about,

Medir
Re: Accent 03/29/2007 10:50 AM CDT
I like the idea of a toggle, but it could probably be easily incorporated into the existing say command
Re: Accent 03/30/2007 09:47 PM CDT
Bambina smiles and with a thick Rakash accent says, "Common IS the proper name of the common tongue."

That works, too.

Bambina
Re: Accent 05/07/2007 10:29 PM CDT
I like it. You know how Rakash growl and S'kra hisses. What if they had the lisping too.. I kind of RP a gay bard man. I've sort of neglected the poor barmaid wanna be and it would be great and a whole lot easier to do the lisping. Then again it would take the fun out of it a bit if every other person was doing it. Still I think the accent ideas would be great!

Not all things are meant to be.

Lanita
Re: Accent 05/08/2007 01:23 AM CDT
>What if they had the lisping too.. I kind of RP a gay bard man.

Uhm...are you implying all gay men must lisp? This isn't a troll, it just seems (honestly) like that's what you're saying.
Re: Accent 05/08/2007 01:42 AM CDT
>> Uhm...are you implying all gay men must lisp?

Some of them do. A great many of them even do it intentionally.

Just sayin'.

Rev. Reene

You take a sip of the wine.
>
Dornal says to you, "It's, ah, not the sort of wine you drink."
>
You say to Dornal, "No? But it tastes perfectly good."
>
Syralon says, "It's blasphemtastic."
Re: Accent 05/08/2007 07:11 AM CDT
Speaking as a gay man, i gotta agree with Reene

"i have the simplest of tastes I only want the Best" Oscar Wilde