New Souls. 10/08/2018 02:15 AM CDT

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. Anyway.....

Ok,Here is one.... I'm sure its been discussed before, but ide like to hear peoples opinion on this.

Rifkinn and others were debating a topic, and the topic was past behaviors, and the consequences of them.

Here is the situation.....

[16:12] XXXXX says, "I can not take away my past, but I've repented, and I will do so always. I understand not trusting me because of my previous last name."
[16:13] XXXXX asks, "But (name of Character)? I have witnessed him murder just for the fun of it. I've seen him kill and torture. He is trustworthy?"

[16:13] XXXXX says, "I suppose I don't need an answer, really."

[16:13] YYYYY says, "It is my understanding that he has a different soul."

[16:14] XXXXX says to you, "I guess I need a new one of those."

[16:14] You say, "THAT DOES NOT MATTER."

[16:14] You say, "At all."

[16:14] You whisper to YYYYY, "OOC: this is RP, people behind characters dont come into it, im sure this might be a different debate, but i dont think you can do that"

[16:15] YYYYY whispers, "OOC: I can not control how others RP, I can only ignore it or choose to roll with it."

[16:15] YYYYY whispers, "OOC: unfortunatly characters are bought and sold all the time"

[16:16] You whisper to YYYYY, "OOC: as i said buddy different debate, but thats a bit to convenient isnt it?"

[16:16] You say, "Ok i think we have come to an impass here."

[16:16] YYYYY whispers, "OOC: it sucks man, but what the hell else am I suppose to do?"

[16:16] You whisper to XXXXX, "i cant continue with this"

[16:17] XXXXX says, "As I've said, I'm fine with not saying anything negative, if nothing negative is happening."

[16:17] YYYYY says to you, "If you feel so then thats on you."

[16:17] You whisper to YYYYY, "OOC: dude your a good bloke, ive known you for a long time, ive always liked you, but mate.... you know"

I think people can see my point here. When you are willing to spend money on buying the history of a characters training, as seen their experience, don't you also purchase who that character is?

To buy a character who has done horrible things in RP, and then run that character as though..."oh I have a new soul now?" is avoiding consequences. Its a form of metagaming.

Player of Rifkinn
Re: New Souls. 10/08/2018 06:28 AM CDT
I don't think you can separate the character from the player.

If you're buying a new character, and that character was (I don't know who this post is about, so I'm not throwing rocks) a blatant AFK scripter who zombied to 2000 ranks, you can't simply say 'oh new player' and excuse that; the specific reason you bought that character was the reason people don't like it.

RP is a bit more squishy. You can say 'new soul' all day long, but the existent RP is what it is. You can't really just whitewash it. You have to change it over time with a persistent push for 'good' behavior. To me, slamming 'I just bought this character and will be changing the RP with no respect for what it was' is childish. It's saying 'Let me play with my toy how I want, mommy' without respecting the time of other players invested in the acts of the previous owner. Frankly, it bodes ill for the behavior of the new owner, and makes me expect similar poor things down the road.

The new owner should have a simple discussion with people about his/her stance on things when he runs into people who knew and liked or disliked the old owner's play style, and there should be some in-character thing to explain why it's suddenly acting different (and no, 'new soul' is about as in-character as talking about the US senate and presidential elections).
Re: New Souls. 10/08/2018 08:02 AM CDT
Characters' histories don't change even if the owner does. If the new owner doesn't like the history, that's a problem for them, and they'll have to figure out how to resolve it.

Since you're speaking specifically about a Necromancer in this instant, it's even more important to note that the paths Necromancers choose are even less recoverable than the choices other guilds might make. Whether the new owner wants it or not, the character has a history as one of the worst kinds of apostates.

Don't give them any benefit of the doubt. They have to earn the redemption, both from an RP perspective and mechanically.
Re: New Souls. 10/08/2018 08:18 AM CDT

Just to make it clear, I'm not speaking about a Necro at all. This conversation had nothing to do with Necro characters one bit.

But I see your point and if I was, your point in my opinion would be valid.

Player of Rifkinn
Re: New Souls. 10/08/2018 03:47 PM CDT
This thread was moved from the policy folder.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: New Souls. 10/08/2018 10:22 PM CDT
This is one subject that can be a bit touchy. But let me relate: I used to know a character that was something of a bully, and not really trustworthy. Then the player got bored and sold the character. The new owner handled it admirably: He learned who the old player had wronged and went to those people to apologize and make amends. He did not say a word about 'new soul'.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy